Injected some thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hardcookin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 13, 2015
Northeast
Weather has been to hot & humid lately for long smokes.
So I decided to do a little experimenting injecting chicken thighs.

Note the finish cook temp on the pack.
http://s119.photobucket.com/user/doog519/media/Mobile Uploads/image_36.jpeg.html

I decided to inject the thighs with these 2 injections.

A finished pic of the thighs in a pan. No sauce at all on them, only injected.

The verdict was my wife liked the teriyaki fusion, and I liked the creole butter.

All the thighs was very juicy and had good flavor. The thighs skin was a little rubbery.

Would be interested to hearing what you inject your thighs with.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I love creole butter but can't usually find it around here except for around Thanksgiving. So I mix up a quarter cup of salt and a tablespoon each of onion powder and garlic powder in a quart of water and inject that. Seasons the meat and gives a flavor pop without making it overly salty or complicated. Also serves as a brine, making the meat stay juicy even when cooked as high as 180°.

Al & boatbum thank you!
Al I figured you would go with the creole butter...good stuff.

They look great.
Adam thanks so much!

I've been working on injecting thighs.... Here are my methods....  injecting gives a much better flavor than brining in my opinion...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/246037/injecting-chicken-hind-quarters

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/249570/chicken-again

Dave looks like some good reading thanks!

I'm sure the injection was tasty, I'd like to try the teriyaki, I've injected whole birds with the regular butter.   Hey if you want better skin just grill them from a distance, If you do they'll turn out closer to this.  You need some direct heat to render the skin and it will crisp.

What - IT chicken temp do you start grilling to crisp?
Thanks!

What - IT chicken temp do you start grilling to crisp?
Thanks!
It's not the temp so much as the benefit of direct heat or Infra Red heat.

If I cook chicken parts in say an electric smoker or cabinet smoker (indirect) the skin won't be near as rendered as if I cooked them in something like a grill with infra red burners,  Charcoal UDS with no diffuser,  directly over a fire or even something like a gas powered Big Easy.   Direct heat/infra red will always produce better tasting edible poultry skin.        Internal temp on stuff like thighs you could let it go past 200* and be plenty juicy.

This was all cooked over a fire, part on a rotisserie and part on the cook grate but it all got the benefit of infra red energy coming off of a fire.

Last edited:
I love creole butter but can't usually find it around here except for around Thanksgiving. So I mix up a quarter cup of salt and a tablespoon each of onion powder and garlic powder in a quart of water and inject that. Seasons the meat and gives a flavor pop without making it overly salty or complicated. Also serves as a brine, making the meat stay juicy even when cooked as high as 180°.

Md, you can make your your own Creole butter! Thanks to good ol Scarbelly there just happens to be a recipe here!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/123175/creole-butter-recipe

OH that reminds me I started making my own butter injection using real butter and a rub like spog or a spicier version, then added in some spiced rum...yummy

Tasty looking chicken! I need to get a chicken to spin with the shun butter I bought awhile back.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky