Inject whole muscle meats, then onto the curing chamber?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire point of DRY CURING is to DRY the meat....speed is not the goal, drying is.

The basic process for whole muscle meat curing involves:

Curing (2-3 weeks): This is the initial stage where the meat is packed with salt and spices. The process of osmosis and diffusion plays an important role in this stage. The cure mixture diffuses from the high outside concentration into the low concentration inside the meat, while water is attracted to the higher osmotic gradient that is found outside the meat. The time necessary to spend in the cure will depend on the thickness of the meat.

Dry salt pulls moisture out of the meat. Thus lowering Aw and making it harder on bad pathogens to live. When curing is complete, the meat will have lost 3-4% moisture and Aw will be around 0.97-0.96. Wet cure won't do that, neither will injection. Aw will be over 1 because the meat has not lost water, and you added more by injecting.

2 methods:

Excess cure: Excess curing is an older curing method that is exactly what it sounds like. The meat is packed into salt and allowed to stay there for a number of days. It is a tried and true method, but can result in overly salted and spiced meat.

Equilibrium cure: Equilibrium curing is a newer curing method, which uses the scientifically determined minimum safe values for salt and nitrates. The cure is added to the meat at the desired concentrations, and the meat is allowed to equalize in the cure for a number of weeks. One of the benefits of using the equilibrium curing method is that you will arrive at your exact desired spice and salt level, without over saturating your meat product. I prefer the equilibrium method, and use it almost exclusively in my projects.
Excess cure is touchy. The Italians say 1 day per kilogram of meat weight. This is how it was done without refrigeration- the high salt concentration prevented the growth of bad pathogens on the meat surface.

Equilibrium dry cure - no liquid used, no chance of over salting, slower than excess curing.

Nowhere in that primer for beginners is there any wet brine.
http://gastrochemist.com/whole-muscle-cure-basics/

Last edited:
Try again: The two methods to curing are:
A-
1) get chemicals into the meat
2) ferment ,
3) dry

OR
B-
1) get chemicals into the meat
2)cook

I'm using A, steps 1&2 done in 32 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky