Inaugural GMG Ledge smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I finally got the GMG Ledge smoking. Didn't prepare very well so I pulled 2 frozen new york steaks from the freezer. Microwaved them for about 5 minutes to soften the surface, I just spiced with pepper, and smoked them at 200°.

They cooked for about 1 hour 40 minutes and pulled at IT 135°. I then reverse seared on a grill at 500 for about 5 minutes a side.

PXL_20220612_035030692.jpg PXL_20220612_035113923.jpg

First, not enough, hardly any, smoke flavor and tasted different then new yorks generally taste. We're more done then I like. Maybe being prepared would produce better food. Will definitely require a smoke tube for some smoke flavor.

The smoker seems like it has some problems, this is how much smoke it generates starting up. Not sure if this is normal, doesn't seem like it should be this much smoke. It was worse then this when it first started.

PXL_20220612_014509476.jpg

Agree with TNJAKE TNJAKE !

The other thing I’d add is I do think microwaving any type steak will give you a not so desirable outcome! You’d be better off to just toss it on frozen. Rub a bit of EVOO or bacon grease and your seasoning and cook!

Just my 2 cents!

BTW, your steaks do look tasty!

Agree with TNJAKE TNJAKE !

The other thing I’d add is I do think microwaving any type steak will give you a not so desirable outcome! You’d be better off to just toss it on frozen. Rub a bit of EVOO or bacon grease and your seasoning and cook!

Just my 2 cents!

BTW, your steaks do look tasty!
Never have done it before, never will do it again. Thanks, just tried to get pepper to stick. Maybe next time I'll put pepper on after in smoker for 10 minutes.

GMG claims it is this much smoke because the pellets are more wet then they like. I'm using lumberjack, i don't know how to dry a complete bag.

The smoker seems like it has some problems, this is how much smoke it generates starting up. Not sure if this is normal, doesn't seem like it should be this much smoke. It was worse then this when it first started.
Looks like a normal pellet grill start up to me, too. You can't even see my CC for all the smoke when it fires, but it clears quickly once the pot gets burning.

The steaks look pretty good, too, but nuking them was probably a bad idea. One way to get more flavor with pellet grills is to run the grill at its lowest temp setting for awhile at the beginning of the cook, and then bump it up. Pellet grills make more smoke at lower temps.

Looks like a normal pellet grill start up to me, too. You can't even see my CC for all the smoke when it fires, but it clears quickly once the pot gets burning.
Yep. The reason for the smoke plume at the start is the igniter is at the bottom of fire pot. It heats up and pellets pile on top causing them to smolder. Then the controller recognizes the temp is climbing and kicks the fan on and POOF you have a roaring flame and smoke clears instantly

You’d be better off to just toss it on frozen.
With steaks, I pop them into the freezer for at least three hours and run a lower temp before searing. It gives them more time on the smoke.

Glad to see you have it up and running. It always takes a few cooks to figure things out. Those steaks look good enough to know you are not suffering too much.

But, most importantly, that empty wine glass. What was in it before it got empty?

The steaks look pretty good, too, but nuking them was probably a bad idea. One way to get more flavor with pellet grills is to run the grill at its lowest temp setting for awhile at the beginning of the cook, and then bump it up. Pellet grills make more smoke at lower temps.
I really on!y microwaved on power 3 like I was defrosting it so it really wasn't too bad. I only had two hours, unprepared, so I picked 200. If I do it again, when I do it again, i will go at 150° for sure.

Reactions: DougE
With steaks, I pop them into the freezer for at least three hours and run a lower temp before searing. It gives them more time on the smoke.

Glad to see you have it up and running. It always takes a few cooks to figure things out. Those steaks look good enough to know you are not suffering too much.

But, most importantly, that empty wine glass. What was in it before it got empty?
Gorman winery, pixie, a great syrah.

We have a rule at our house, we only allow washington and oregon wines to be served. If someone brings a california wine we shrug our sholders and send it back with them when they leave.

We are going to walla walla next week to do some wine tasting, our 35th aniversary, so we will see what we bring back.

They do smoke when they start up but that does look a bit like the pellets could have a higher moisture content than desired.

For reverse sear, smoke at 150 to 180 for an hour then grill. It will give a over tone of smoke but not sharp....

I'm with the others...no nuking. But not long ago threw some frozen steaks on our GMG preseasoned before freezing. Turned out really good! Ran at 225

Ryan

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
With two kids living in California, we have to relax that rule…
Yea, I might relax the rules under those circumstances 😎

When I lived in Colorado, before I discovered Oregon Pinot, all I would.drink is california cabs, well mostly anyway. Some very good wine.

They do smoke when they start up but that does look a bit like the pellets could have a higher moisture content than desired.
well, it was a brand new just opened, lumberjack hickory bag. I'll have to see how it does with some other flavors.

well, it was a brand new just opened, lumberjack hickory bag. I'll have to see how it does with some other flavors.
You are in Seattle right? The moisture content could be very high even in a new bag. Also read below about added oils and other binders in 100% pellets.... Another reason for more smoke.

LilDevils.PNG

I have found that 100% hard woods have more initial smoke start up than these. I have burned thousands of lbs of these and they work really well. They do have alder in them which is why they burn better but the overall blend is very good. We get them at Winco $6.79 per 20.

Edit: you can read what the manufacture says about these and how and why they blend them.....Always good to have the source of the known...

Bi-Mart in Seattle is listed as a dealer......

Last edited:
new-to-me GMG DB smokes like that on startup for me, too.

The app seems to have a smoking setting? I haven't tried to do a proper smoke in mine yet but i am under the impression that the smoke tube will be required.

For reverse sear you could probably just take them out of the GMG and heat it to 500 - maybe with a cast iron grate or one of those ridged "grill pans" pre-heating in it.

If your trying to get smoke flavor on a steak, dry age the steak in the refrigerator for a few days on a rack to form a pellicle.
This will increase the surface proteins and allow the smoke to adhere to the meat. Cold smoke for 2 hrs then grill away...........

Boykjo

Reactions: Jabiru
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky