Inaugural GMG Ledge smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Can't help any with the pellet grill, but here's a cook I did with a frozen steak. Worked out pretty good and great in a pinch. If you're worried about the seasoning sticking, just smoke for a few minutes and then apply or do as TNJAKE TNJAKE said and apply an oil and then your seasoning.

Your steak looks great from here, I'll take some please...

Reactions: Nefarious
Well bummer...sort of. Sorry to hear about the woes with the steaks but they do look very nice. As you noted, perhaps a tad over cooked but not a travesty by any means.

Insofar as the amount of smoke you're getting, my only experience is with the Rec Tec RT700 so can't speak for the GMG. Mine does put out a considerable amount of smoke at start-up but nowhere near that much. Could just be differences in design though.

Robert

Dropping in late! But wanted to say even if the taste wasn’t what you wanted they look awesome🤣 I have no doubt you’ll have it dialed in soon and enjoying it!

Dry meats wont hold much smoke , a splash of almost anything for the first hour about every 15 minutes will give more smoke flavor

I run mine low for the first 15-45mins depending what I am cooking, that gets plenty of smoke taste into the meat I found.

The lower the temp the more smoked flavor for me.

Reactions: DougE
Pretty much how pellet grills work. Higher temps = less smoke.

Right. The way these work, the overall air temperature in the chamber will always be much lower than the temperature in the firebox, and higher temperatures mean cleaner burns.

I'm confused because I thought wet surfaces took smoke better.

I am confused by what you mean by this. I remember SmokinAl SmokinAl smoked ribs that were frozen?

Or should I just get it very cold so it has more time in the smoker?

The act of rapid thawing releases moisture outward counter acting the smoke. It effectively starts with a stall reducing the time to have the smoke flavor infused in to the surface tissue. On a long smoke it doesn’t have much affect to flavor but on a short smoke like a steak in reverse sear mode it has a big effect....

Yes the best thing for a reverse sear smoke (for beef) is to put it on cold and dry from the fridge....

The act of rapid thawing releases moisture outward counter acting the smoke. It effectively starts with a stall reducing the time to have the smoke flavor infused in to the surface tissue. On a long smoke it doesn’t have much affect to flavor but on a short smoke like a steak in reverse sear mode it has a big effect....

Yes the best thing for a reverse sear smoke (for beef) is to put it on cold and dry from the fridge....

Here is a photo of some ribs that were put in the smoker totally frozen. If they don’t take on any smoke, then why is the smoke ring all the way to the bone?
076D60D4-6A62-4B20-8342-BA71C8197C9B.jpeg

Here is a photo of some ribs that were put in the smoker totally frozen. If they don’t take on any smoke, then why is the smoke ring all the way to the bone?
View attachment 634851
Longer smoke and pork has a different tissue structure. The Steaks were on for 100 mins @ 200 till IT hit 135. That means the for about the first hour or so they were thawing and releasing moisture so they only took smoke for 35 to 40 so they will only have a hint of smokiness...

The pork ribs have a different tissue structure and were on taking smoke for a more than two hours. This is enough time to get very good flavor.

Longer smoke and pork has a different tissue structure. The Steaks were on for 100 mins @ 200 till IT hit 135. That means the for about the first hour or so they were thawing and releasing moisture so they only took smoke for 35 to 40 so they will only have a hint of smokiness...

The pork ribs have a different tissue structure and were on taking smoke for a more than two hours. This is enough time to get very good flavor.
Assume you are correct. Sometime along the spectrum of frozen to thawed the meat starts picking up the smoke. The worse case is that it needs to be totally thawed to pick up smoke.

If putting in frozen, and some some smoke can come on board when partially/mostly thawed, is this better then only just cold from refrigerator?

Assume you are correct. Sometime along the spectrum of frozen to thawed the meat starts picking up the smoke. The worse case is that it needs to be totally thawed to pick up smoke.

If putting in frozen, and some some smoke can come on board when partially/mostly thawed, is this better then only just cold from refrigerator?
For a reverse sear steak yes thawed (non nuke) and cold from the fridge will give you the most smoke profile.

Pork and longer smoked stuff it’s not really a big factor. I put pork ribs and chicken on partially frozen all them time but they will be on for a long time....

For a reverse sear steak yes thawed (non nuke) and cold from the fridge will give you the most smoke profile.

Pork and longer smoked stuff it’s not really a big factor. I put pork ribs and chicken on partially frozen all them time but they will be on for a long time....
Nice, I just did 5 minutes at power.3 to thaw the surface enough for some spices to stick. It was still rock solid, just wet on the surface.

Nice, I just did 5 minutes at power.3 to thaw the surface enough for some spices to stick. It was still rock solid, just wet on the surface.
The best proof is in the pudding..... go get a fresh cut (thick cut) NY....take it out of the fridge and dry it with paper towel, season it (Heavily) and put on at 150-180 till it hits IT100, then sear and judge the difference......

Wet meat will always get smoke quicker than dry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky