I'm done with the thermapen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hi I'm with ThermoWorks. I'm sorry you experienced this issue and we'd love the chance to fix the problem. If there is any way we could get your contact info, or if you could contact our Tech Support at [email protected], we'd be able to care if this. 

Thanks,

Mindy
There you go.

Sounds like they will send you out a new on at no cost.

Al

I like the Javelin Pro $49.99 and it stays on the fridge for when I need it.   Oh also have the $25 version (lavatools) but it stopped working...might just be the battery.  The javelin though is a solid therm without a doubt.

Last edited:

There you go.

Al
I'll have to touch base with them but this is already a replacement and even if they sent out another one, I cant give kudos to the thermo but could the customer service, that BTW have been great so far.

I have a Lava Tools ($25) on my buy list if the $10-$15 cheapie digital I own ever gives out.  My cheapie will give me a read in 5-10 seconds. 

A few years ago when I was looking at the Thermapen for $99, which gives a 3 second read, my wife put it in prospective for me.  She said "You can buy a three second thermometer for a hundred bucks, or a ten second thermometer for $10.  Explain to me how 7 seconds is worth $90 for a meat thermometer."   I didn't have an answer.     
Smart woman, Id be OK with a 5 second read but 10 seconds is a bit rough especially  when getting blasted with heat and smoke on a hot day.

I do have it in my cart and was ready to purchase until I had to spend $180.00 for a new fish tank filter.

BTW

Pro $49.99

Thermapen $79.99

Not quite half but it is $30.00 cheaper.
Mk 4 thermapen is 99.99 plus shipping ... I know the classics and  open box sales are cheaper.    I'd still rather have 2 javelins to 1 Mk 4

Heck I think I'd rather have 2 javelin pro's to 1 classic.     All the javelins have the fridge magnet but it sure is nice.   When I'm cooking it sticks to my metal side table...so convenient.

Last edited:
Having seen your Shwenker I'd say you the latter.

Case, do you realize what you actually said in a public internet forum?  
icon_eek.gif
  LOL! 

We offer the Maverick Flip Tip Instant Read Thermometer for $14.99 plus shipping! Available in 5 colors - Black, White, Red, Orange, & Lime Green
Website is in my signature.

I may grab one of those for a general thermometer for my Kitchen Bag.

Can you specify the read time (in red) I am assuming that temps in the higher range say 300°+  will take significantly longer?

Specs:

• Use for the oven or grill for perfect food every time!
• Spring action instant food thermometer
• Thin tip for faster and more accurate temperatures
• One button easily changes from Fahrenheit to Celsius
• Temperature range: 32 °F to 392 °F
• Fast temperature readings 32 °F to 212 °F
• Unit turns ON/OFF automatically when the probe is pivoted
• Temperature will be displayed in a few seconds
• Quick action button opens the unit for temperature
• Probe flips out straight for readings then folds back closed for easy storage
• Instructions Included
• 1 AAA Battery included  

Last edited:

Mk 4 thermapen is 99.99 plus shipping ... I know the classics and  open box sales are cheaper.    I'd still rather have 2 javelins to 1 Mk 4

Heck I think I'd rather have 2 javelin pro's to 1 classic.     All the javelins have the fridge magnet but it sure is nice
I have seen the Original Thermapens even cheaper.

No matter what comes out of the thermapen situation, I'm going to have to get a Javelin Pro at least for the sake of comparing the two.

I have a Lava Tools ($25) on my buy list if the $10-$15 cheapie digital I own ever gives out.  My cheapie will give me a read in 5-10 seconds. 

A few years ago when I was looking at the Thermapen for $99, which gives a 3 second read, my wife put it in prospective for me.  She said "You can buy a three second thermometer for a hundred bucks, or a ten second thermometer for $10.  Explain to me how 7 seconds is worth $90 for a meat thermometer."   I didn't have an answer.     
 I would have an answer.   When I'm temping 15 chicken breasts over a hot grill I'll take the 2 second reading all day long.

Hi I'm with ThermoWorks. I'm sorry you experienced this issue and we'd love the chance to fix the problem. If there is any way we could get your contact info, or if you could contact our Tech Support at [email protected], we'd be able to care if this. 

Thanks,

Mindy

There you go.

Al
I got a similar letter again and I really don't have time or patience to do this dance with these folks again. I will just chalk this up to a loss, its not a big deal and I'll just move on.

Richard,

I’m sorry to hear that your Thermapen is not working properly. It sounds like we should take a look at it.

If we discover that it has an issue covered by the warranty, we’ll either repair or replace it for no charge (depending on the source of the problem).

If we discover that the issue is related to a problem not covered by the warranty, we offer affordable repair services for the Thermapen for $25.

We’ll email you a return authorization number and our shipping address shortly. The return authorization number will also be your case number.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a letter from the last time in December

Thermoworks - I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with your Thermapen. It sounds like we should take a look at it. We do have a 2 year warranty on the Thermapen and if found to have a warranty related problem we can repair or replace it (our option) for no charge. If it's something not covered, we offer affordable repair services for the Thermapen for $25. I was unable to find your purchase information. Was it purchased directly from ThermoWorks? If you would please reply with your address and phone number, I will issue you a return authorization. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I

Squib I'll tell you one thing I don't think it's a fluke that Thermoworks didn't put out a youtube comparing the thermapen to the javelin pro... They have one for the thermapen vs the regular javelin (lavatools) but that's like comparing Pro football to highschool.   I gotta feeling it's not to their benefit to do the javelin pro comparison....not enough difference.

I like the Javelin Pro $49.99 and it stays on the fridge for when I need it.   Oh also have the $25 version (lavatools) but it stopped working...might just be the battery.  The javelin though is a solid therm without a doubt.
The Javelin Pro PX1 is a three year warranty and the original awesome  PS 1 $25.00 Thermowamd/Javelin is a lifetime warranty  It's probably the battery.  If not, you have no worries,

-Kurt    

What exactly does it do that makes it 'buggy'? Very odd with the two of them  (discounting the middle one that got run over). 

Assuming here you've taken care regarding cleaning the tip not to expose the joint area.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky