If you only had one book on BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

agaffer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
North Carolina
Good morning. While I wait for my new smoker I have been satisfying my BBQ Jones through watching videos and browsing the internet for recipes. I have a large collection of cookbooks that fill a four shelf book case, much of them on grilling and BBQ. Most of them have been fun to read and to browse through the pictures but, there is only one that has a well broken in spine, and is loaded with bookmarks and stained pages. "Serious Barbecue" by Adam Perry Lang. Over the years I have probably cooked at least 10% of the recipes in this book. That is a lot. I don't know about you but, most cookbooks I have get used for just a handful of recipes.

Using the internet and YouTube you can get all the tutorials you need on just about everything BBQ. Cooker info, wood info, charcoal info. A host of ways to cook your basic butt, ribs, brisket, chicken. Actually makes almost all my BBQ books non essential. "Serious Barbecue" is different. Adam Perry Lang doesn't follow others, he always puts his own unique twists on everything he cooks. Most importantly, his recipes work. How many times have you bought a cookbook with great pictures and once you try a couple of the recipes you wonder to yourself, "Did anybody actually try these recipes before putting them in the book?"

If Harry Soo came out with a book I would also buy that. I like the originality of his recipes that are on the internet. Then there would be two books that I would deem essential.

I have been disappointed by most BBQ books I have paged through. I agree with you on 10% being a high number of recipes to use out of one book.

Most of my books I get one or two good recipes out of and that is about it.

I have come to rely on the interwebs to supply me with knowledge. This forum provides a treasure trove of experience, skill, and knowledge.

Many members share their recipes only for the asking and I have taken full advantage of that.

This forum has provided me more information and advice than a stack of books.

Enjoy.....

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: Hawging It
If it has to be in book form, have this printed and bound

Can't wait to go through the recipes. What is great about recipes from a forum like this is that you know the recipe has been tested.

Reactions: JC in GB
WOWIE!! I just took a quick glance. That is an amazing collection. Since Sidecars are one of my favorite beverages I went right to that page.
One pint lemon juice
One pint cointreau
One pint cognac
The question I have is, if you want to make it for two, are there any adjustments or just double the amounts?

WOWIE!! I just took a quick glance. That is an amazing collection. Since Sidecars are one of my favorite beverages I went right to that page.
One pint lemon juice
One pint cointreau
One pint cognac
The question I have is, if you want to make it for two, are there any adjustments or just double the amounts?
That recipe makes three pints, that should serve twelve 4oz cocktails or more depending on the glassware used, and whether you serve it on the rocks or not.

Last edited:
I basically stopped looking at cookbooks when I joined smf, so I couldn't tell you which ones I would get.
same. read here and or Jeffs site for that. internet as needed.

check the recipe section. there are large compilations there of recopies off this site from users.

SMF is the best place to find recipes that are tasty & SAFE!!!
The recipes on here are closely monitored for safety & if it does not satisfy USDA standards it is deleted or changed. You can be confident that any recipe you get on here will be safe & most importantly absolutely delicious!!
Al

Reactions: Hawging It
Have to agree I too have a collection with dust on them. Yup this forum is awesome and as you said they are tried. Join Jeff's weekly news letter for a weekly recipe from Jeff.

Warren

While I agree with SMF being a HUGE resource for me, books are also a big part of my success. For me, Mixon sticks out. He got my game where I wanted. I am of the belief that all the recipes in his book are the legit ones he used and won with. In fact, none of the rub, sauces, etc are even scaled down and make huge batches. That said, probably only a dozen or so recipes in there. Heck, Franklin's book has even less and I still love that book. To me, good BBQ is more about technique than recipes. All this being said, Marianski wins hand down for smoking in general. It's college level reference material that you will continue to absorb over time and a must have.

I'm kind of partial to Peace Love & Barbecue. Not the largest amount of recipes or the most technical but it has award winning recipes of different styles from various people. Also has some great stories to read along with them.

No books just SMF and what few good folks from San Antonio taught me in my AF days many years ago.

While I agree with SMF being a HUGE resource for me, books are also a big part of my success. For me, Mixon sticks out. He got my game where I wanted. I am of the belief that all the recipes in his book are the legit ones he used and won with. In fact, none of the rub, sauces, etc are even scaled down and make huge batches. That said, probably only a dozen or so recipes in there. Heck, Franklin's book has even less and I still love that book. To me, good BBQ is more about technique than recipes. All this being said, Marianski wins hand down for smoking in general. It's college level reference material that you will continue to absorb over time and a must have.

Which Marianski book would you be speaking of.

Warren

Which Marianski book would you be speaking of.

Warren
I'd bet it's, 'Smoking Meats and Smokehouse Design' as it's most pertinent, and the only Marianski in my library .
I've several other BBQ cookbooks and several others too.

But if I had to have only one pertaining to BBQ, I would print the SMF Recipe Collection I linked earlier.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that link Chile!! Have never seen that thread. With work funded ink and paper I may just print that!!

Reactions: chilerelleno
I have/had 2 BBQ books.

1. Aaron Fraklin's book - wow an amazing read. It only has like maybe 10 recipes but it was such a pleasant surprise as a read and just the knowledge and great stories of smoking bbq and all things involved. The recipes are pretty good too though I think his Turkey one is probably the only one that is just "meh" common sense for us cooking folks... if I remember him having a turkey recipe in there hahaha.

2. Smoke & Spice - well... I want to call that book trash BUT for a person new to cooking anything and trying to get into BBQ it could be somewhat helpful. I was really turned off by the fact that all the smoking steps were basically the same like "smoke at 225F, and use your favorite wood..." It gave no freakin insight different smoking temps, woods to pair with, how long to apply smoke vs the whole cook time, etc. Many of the recipes were underwhelming as well. It's my opinion that you get 100x more useful information searching this site for 10 min than what that whole book provides. If you like the book then that's all that matters in the end.
FYI, I don't walk this earthing thinking anyone else must subscribe to my opinions at all, so please don't be offended if u like the book and I do not hahaha. If this book brings you joy and happiness then that is all that matters :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky