I think I may have a problem. Is this an early warning sign? - Q-View added

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marlin009

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
West Coast of Florida
I'm lucky, my wife does all the grocery shopping. I've spent more time smoking food in the last two months (my entire smoking career) than I have spent grocery shopping in my entire life. She is in Gainsville for the weekend with my daughter and on my way home from work, I stop at the grocery store. Nobody told me I had to go. I just went, I had a list, that I made.
icon_rolleyes.gif
 This is what I came home with.

7bb9c228_shopping.jpg

I already had pepperoni, and rub for the ribs. I bought that last week! I'm starting to get concerned, I thought fishing was bad (and it is). I have a Chargriller Smoking Pro something or other that is two months old and I'm thinking about the fact that the Lang factory is about seven hours away. And let me just say that your Q-Views, recipes, smoker builds and modifications, throwdowns and step by step instructions aren't helping the situation either.
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanks to all of you that make this an entertaining and informative site. 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Feel free to critique the ingredients for my attempt at a pizza fattie. These are the ribs I've done all of three times, they've been very good. Be gentle.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Matt

Oh yeah, you've got it, and it's a problem Houston! LOL 

It's sad, as an example...I've collected everything from beer cans, coins, sports memorabilia, antlers, guns, reloaders, fished, hunted, hiked and coached for years...and on and on, but I'd have never thought I'd have such an awesome spice collection.  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Now go twist that fattie up and smoke it so you can post some Qview!   

Yes, you got bit!  Besides that, you forgot the jalapenos for ABT's.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Oh yeah, you've got it, and it's a problem Houston! LOL 

It's sad, as an example...I've collected everything from beer cans, coins, sports memorabilia, antlers, guns, reloaders, fished, hunted, hiked and coached for years...and on and on, but I'd have never thought I'd have such an awesome spice collection.  
icon_mrgreen.gif

Now go twist that fattie up and smoke it so you can post some Qview!   
I'm cooking Sunday so I'll do that tomorrow and I will get pics this time.

I see that you are on west coast of Florida.  I have fond memories as a child (pre-teen) when we lived in Brooksville.  My dad used to take me fishing in the gulf.  He always went with a guide out of Homosasa Springs called Leon.  Leon's boat wasn't all that big so it was just him, us and at most a couple others.  The boat started out going down the Witholacochee river (spelling?).  Appartently, the river's name was an Indian name for "black water".  They'd make coffee by dipping the old metal pot into the river and boiling some grounds.  I don't know how it tasted since I was too young for coffee at the time.

What I remember most was catching 10-30 pound grouper.  We might come home with 400 pounds of fish.  I think that Leon kept most of it.  We might take home one fish for dinner.  At the price of fresh fish today, that was a pretty valuable haul. 

I see no problem at all from where I'm sitting...you've got 6 major food groups all in that one foil pan...pork ribs, bacon, pork sausage, ham, cheese, and veggies (in a can).

What may eventually become a problem is when the whole neighborhood secretly keeps tabs on when you're home so they know when to lock up all their pets indoors where it's safe...J/K!

Oh, yeah, it goes from in-shell eggs, to bricks of cheese, to cheetos. doritos, coffee, tea, chocolate chip cookies...just to name a few...yum!!!!!!!!!!! (you're hard-core at this point)

When no matter what mother nature dishes out, you still get your smoke fix, you've graduated to die-hard.

Oh, pizza fatties are killer...you're heading down the path to some righteous smoked goodies!

Loinbacks are probably our favorite way to get our pork intake, btw...good choice!!!!

Tell you what, don't worry about keeping up with your "to smoke" list...it will come in due time. The main thing is to have fun with the craft of smoking, and enjoy what goes into a smoke just as much as what comes out of it.

Eric

EDIT: Hmm, I just remembered, the last "strange" thing I smoked was tater tots...they're actually pretty good! HAH!!!

Last edited:
I see that you are on west coast of Florida.  I have fond memories as a child (pre-teen) when we lived in Brooksville.  My dad used to take me fishing in the gulf.  He always went with a guide out of Homosasa Springs called Leon.  Leon's boat wasn't all that big so it was just him, us and at most a couple others.  The boat started out going down the Witholacochee river (spelling?).  Appartently, the river's name was an Indian name for "black water".  They'd make coffee by dipping the old metal pot into the river and boiling some grounds.  I don't know how it tasted since I was too young for coffee at the time.

What I remember most was catching 10-30 pound grouper.  We might come home with 400 pounds of fish.  I think that Leon kept most of it.  We might take home one fish for dinner.  At the price of fresh fish today, that was a pretty valuable haul. 
Did someone mention grouper fishing?
biggrin.gif
 I'm about an hour south of Brooksville and that is just about my favorite thing to do. Back in the day you could get a haul like that, not so much anymore. We have some excellent shallow water grouper fishing just a few miles from my house. Several years ago they changed the per person limit from 5 to 2. This January they are closing it indefinitely. Don't even get me started.
mad.gif
 Oh well, guess that leaves more time for smoking.

1dfbce5f_mattgrouper.jpg

I see no problem at all from where I'm sitting...you've got 6 major food groups all in that one foil pan...pork ribs, bacon, pork sausage, ham, cheese, and veggies (in a can).

What may eventually become a problem is when the whole neighborhood secretly keeps tabs on when you're home so they know when to lock up all their pets indoors where it's safe...J/K!

Oh, yeah, it goes from in-shell eggs, to bricks of cheese, to cheetos. doritos, coffee, tea, chocolate chip cookies...just to name a few...yum!!!!!!!!!!! (you're hard-core at this point)

When no matter what mother nature dishes out, you still get your smoke fix, you've graduated to die-hard.

Oh, pizza fatties are killer...you're heading down the path to some righteous smoked goodies!

Loinbacks are probably our favorite way to get our pork intake, btw...good choice!!!!

Tell you what, don't worry about keeping up with your "to smoke" list...it will come in due time. The main thing is to have fun with the craft of smoking, and enjoy what goes into a smoke just as much as what comes out of it.

Eric

EDIT: Hmm, I just remembered, the last "strange" thing I smoked was tater tots...they're actually pretty good! HAH!!!
6 food groups, I like that.
biggrin.gif
 I did get one request to not smoke when there is an east wind. It blows up the canal and my friend a few hundred yards up said it is driving him crazy.

Too bad!
biggrin.gif

Hey wait a minute---Blaming "step by steps" makes me take this rather personal!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Soon, just like other addictions, you'll be smoking more when your wife's not home, dragging your smoker behind the barn or garage, so you can sneak a smoke.

Maybe even leaving a sporting event for a quick smoke (under 6 hours)!

That's when you'll know you're just too far gone for any help.
icon_cry.gif

Sorry Marlin,

Bear

6 food groups, I like that.
biggrin.gif
 I did get one request to not smoke when there is an east wind. It blows up the canal and my friend a few hundred yards up said it is driving him crazy.

Too bad!
biggrin.gif

Marlin,

That is about the most common way of hinting for an invite. 

Hey wait a minute---Blaming "step by steps" makes me take this rather personal!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Soon, just like other addictions, you'll be smoking more when your wife's not home, dragging your smoker behind the barn or garage, so you can sneak a smoke.

Maybe even leaving a sporting event for a quick smoke (under 6 hours)!

That's when you'll know you're just too far gone for any help.
icon_cry.gif

Sorry Marlin,

Bear
As you should Sir, as you should.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Marlin,

That is about the most common way of hinting for an invite. 

He wasn't hinting, he asked what time to come down.
biggrin.gif
 I was doing my first butt and really didn't know when we would be eating so it didn't work out that time but it will soon.

We were at his house a couple of months ago for some pulled pork, I assumed he bought it. When I tasted it, I knew he had. It wasn't until he took me around back and showed me his propane smoker that I believed he made it. That was really the beginning of the end. I knew I had to get into this.
biggrin.gif

Did someone mention grouper fishing?
biggrin.gif
 I'm about an hour south of Brooksville and that is just about my favorite thing to do.
That is a nice looking fish.  Bet it tasted good to.  Can you picture how big that would have looked to me at 10 years old
icon_exclaim.gif

I also recall how much that fishing guide hated pulling in a puffer fish.  He would smash them.  Not only did they steal his bait but usually took the hook deep.  Wasn't until years later that I read that they were similar to the fish served as a delicacy in Japan -- but only by people trained to carefully remove a part of the fish that was deadly toxic (liver?).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky