I made some hot sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
Looking around this site too long will do this to you.

The first one I attempted was Hot Mess sriracha. Heat level 5 of 10.

1.415 Lb Red Jalapeno peppers
2 whole garlic bulbs
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
Added after fermentation:
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar

sriracha_003.jpg

Seven days of fermenting

sriracha_004.jpg

The final product.

sriracha_005.jpg

Next was Cool Runnings hot sauce. Heat level 2 of 10.

3 green Jalapenos
4 pablanos
2 cups of fresh pineapple
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon sugar

1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar

cool_runnings_001.jpg

Fermented 7 days.

cool_runnings_004.jpg

Finished product.

cool_runnings_005.jpg

Lastly Paris says "That's Hot" hot sauce. Heat level 6 of 10

4 oz Habinero peppers
4 oz fresh pineapple
1 fresh mango
2 carrots
4 garlic cloves
6 leaves of fresh mint
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon allspice

1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 cup blue agave

thats_hot_001.jpg

7 days later.

thats_hot_003.jpg

Finished product.

thats_hot_004.jpg

The That's Hot sauce was way too hot for me and I like heat. I had to cut it down with a bunch of agave. Update: The next day it was not near as hot and the fruitiness really stands out. The sriracha is my favorite. I like it over a hotdog without a bun. The cool runnings was more for my wife but I think I will like it as well.

Last edited:
I think the Apera also recommends a few drops of distilled water or their storage solution in the cap to prevent it from being completely dry.

I rinse my pH meters right away under cold running faucet water, then swish in a small glass of distilled water. and in distilled water before use I don't use them a lot even though I have calibrating buffering powders since the ph will be well below 4,2PH. I don't even use vinegar in batches of homemade hot sauce to keep the Lactobacillus alive for gut friendly probiotic. It stays in the fridge. I have some 2019 one year fermented Carolina Reaper 4 year old just brine and pureed strained pepper in a dropper bottle. Shake and dose.

I rinse my pH meters right away under cold running faucet water, then swish in a small glass of distilled water. and in distilled water before use I don't use them a lot even though I have calibrating buffering powders since the ph will be well below 4,2PH. I don't even use vinegar in batches of homemade hot sauce to keep the Lactobacillus alive for gut friendly probiotic. It stays in the fridge. I have some 2019 one year fermented Carolina Reaper 4 year old just brine and pureed strained pepper in a dropper bottle. Shake and dose.
Nice! I think new mine same way but do use the storage solution only because I have it. I save many of my brines for use as standalone sauce, in dressings etc. I came across an article yesterday stating that while vinegar would not kill the probiotics. First time I'd seen that claim I meant to mark it to dive into further and didn't.

Good looking sauces! That habenero and pineapple combo has my mouth watering - but I'd probably need it to be a 4- 5\10!

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky