I made a bunch of garbage for Easter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drunkenmeatfist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 28, 2017
For some reason I decided to make "smoked no boil mac and cheese" today. I also had a ribeye that needed to be cooked so I figured up I would fire up the full size Vision grill and the Akorn Jr. I put the mac and cheese together and threw it on. Then I went the Sous Vide route to start the ribeye. For the first time since I have owned the Vision I somehow let the fire go out with the mac and cheese on it. Got the fire started again and then got the Akorn going to sear the steak. I believe I did a competent job cooking both items as they were not over or under done.

As a youth I really enjoyed Night Hawk frozen dinners. My favorite was the steak and mac and cheese. Tonight's meal reminded me of that frozen dinner I enjoyed all those years ago because it was a large pile of garbage. The mac and cheese was too smoky even though I only used a small chunk of cherry wood. The ribeye was the same as I have cooked SV before. The IT is great, but the fat isn't cooked enough because it didn't spend enough time on the fire. I am done with SV for ribeye. I'll try other cuts though.

IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG

Last edited:
I've made mac n cheese once in my smoker, once. I made shrimp and cheesy grits in my smoker, once. Both times the smoke over-powered the dish. Although I made them at separate times, I do not have fond memories of eating both pans all by myself. My wife took one bite of both and refused to eat any more.

Now I make mac n cheese on the Kettle, using lump charcoal only, no wood. Beans I still make in the smoker. Could just be me, but that's how I prefer mac n cheese. I haven't tried the shrimp and cheesy grits again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky