I live on the Biggest BBQ Pit in the world

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heeloboi

Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Bi Island of Hawaii
For anyone who wants to try a local recipe from the 50th state, this is pretty much a classic.

Kal Bi - Korean Ribs
Contributor: HeeloBoi

Ingredients:
4 lbs of thinly slice beef
1/4 C Soy sauce (any brand but Kikoman – its too salty)
1 Tbsp brown Sugar
1/8 tsp Pepper
1 Tbsp minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Honey
1/2 tsp minced Ginger root
1/4 C minced Green onions
1 tsp Sesame oil or peanut if you prefer

Cooking Instructions:
Ask your butcher to thinly slice beef about 1/8th of inch thick and the size similar to cold cuts (cheaper cuts of beef will do as the marinade tenderizes the beef). Combine all the ingredients and marinate meat for 4 hours. i use a gallon ziplock and place the beef and the marinade in it and take out as much of the air I can. Then place in the fridge, truning it over every hour or so. Broil in preheated 375 degree oven for 3-5 minutes on each side or barbecue over hot coals for approximately the same time.

The taste is an interesting fusion of flavors, more on the salty side with a hint of sweetness from the sugar and the honey. If its too salty for your taste, we usually cut our recipes with brown sugar to balance the soy sauce. And extra 1 or 2 tbls of brown sugar should do the trick.

I would love to try this recipe on a larger size cut of beef or some ribs and slow cook in a smoker but I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have rotating smoker. If anyone is willing to try it out, please let me know how it comes out.

Big Aloha from Volcano, HI

Hi HeeloBoi,

I don't have a rotating smoker either but I'm not sure this recipe really requires one. But I can give the marinade a try soon. Do you usually use a particular cut of beef? And how is the meat usually served because once it's cooked I have a good meat slicer that I could use to cut it up real thin.

Alha Riz,

Thanks for the offer to try it out. What we do for soaking thin strips is to slice the meat first, then soak, then quickly BBQ on a grill (and for this, the cheaper the meat the better). I've used this recipe on beef, pork, and chicken (I de-bone and butterfly the chicken to help it cook through)and the when soaked long enough, the sauce caramelizes on the outside (whoa, now were talking). That's why we use thin slices of meat, so it can cook through but not burn the caramelized sauce on the outside.

What I wanted to try is to marinade say a rack of short ribs (with slits in it to allow the soak and smoke to get in there) and do it on a smoker that you can periodically "mop" the soak on. My upright smoke house has the fire at your feet and doing anything with the meat once its in is a pain in the A$$ (or I should say "feet").

Let me know how it goes Riz and I hope I've shared some aloha from the 50th state.

Aloha, HB 8)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky