I just smoked for the first time on my Smoke Hollow Smoke-tronix 40" smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TSR6

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 20, 2018
You may remember my previous post - and I'm back!

I was going back and forth between the Smoke Tronix and the MES40 - well, I thought the Smoke Tronix had some neat additional features. Masterbuilt must have thought so too, as they apparently bought out Smoke Hollow. Whatever - It's all good here. So I had been watching the two smokers, and then someone on here was like "HEY WHAT'D YOU CHOOSE?!" - and that reminded me "oh hey, I should probably price check the two smokers again and see whats up.

SURPRISE! The Smoke Tronix was on "end of season clearance" along with some Masterbuilt propane smokers, and the Masterbuilt Sportsman smoker. All huge discounts. While it seems the Smoke Tronix is normally around $399 - I picked that sucker up for $219 + tax + chips + a 30 minute driver because my local store was already sold out. Hot Diggity dog, I have a smoker.

So I already smoked my first two chickens. I bought two because, i mean, why only smoke one at a time?

I probably should have started with chicken breasts. I checked the included temp probe against my Weber temp probe and they were within 2 degrees of each other, so I was happy there. However, I didnt push the temp probe in deep enough into the smallest of the two chickens, so when it was done, it was just close. I finished it in the oven, but wow, great flavor. The bluetooth does have extremely short range, but once i found that limit the app worked great too.

aaaand some video:

I am sure it was. I pretty much baby sat my first couple of smokes. After you have a few smokes with it under your belt, it becomes second nature. For what it's worth, I just use the app and don't even bother using the control panel anymore. By the way, what wood chips did you use?

Congratulations on the new smoker, and the birds look great.

Chris

Thanks all!

I used a bunch of the shredded chicken from one of the birds today in loaded mac & cheese. It added a nice hint of flavor (mind you, I had smoked these two birds to use the chicken in enchiladas this week, for lunch sandwiches, and more - so the smaller bird that undercooked just a hint will be used for enchiladas where it'll get re-cooked, and the 2nd bird is going to be used for lunch and also in the loaded mac n cheese. I'm really excited for the next smoke - thinking i'll have to do maybe some pork tenderloins or ribs. Trying to stay on the easy side of things to start while im learning the ins-and-outs of this smoker.

Good looking chickens. Nice smoke production. The heating element set-up in your smoker is pretty unique. If you are correct that Masterbuilt bought the company I hope they leave the smoker alone.

Thanks all!

I used a bunch of the shredded chicken from one of the birds today in loaded mac & cheese. It added a nice hint of flavor (mind you, I had smoked these two birds to use the chicken in enchiladas this week, for lunch sandwiches, and more - so the smaller bird that undercooked just a hint will be used for enchiladas where it'll get re-cooked, and the 2nd bird is going to be used for lunch and also in the loaded mac n cheese. I'm really excited for the next smoke - thinking i'll have to do maybe some pork tenderloins or ribs. Trying to stay on the easy side of things to start while im learning the ins-and-outs of this smoker.

Hi there and welcome!

Nice work! If doing pork tenderloin or pork loin (bigger from the back of the pig) I highly recommend you brine the meat so it doesn't dry out and is instead very juicy.
For pork ribs I suggest you read SmokinAl's post. It takes out the guess work and makes prefect ribs like it states :)
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/perfect-ribs-every-time-this-really-works.240916/

Just some tips to help ya out. Best of luck with it! :)

Seems like MB acquired Smoke Hollow back in 2017 but SH will continue as before.

So my third smoke was a struggle bus.

I think the chickens I bought may not have been fully thawed. I did brine them for an hour, and never felt like they were frozen, but instead of being done at around 5pm like they should have - I had to take them off the smoker at 6:30 and grill them on my gas grill to get them up to temp.

Looks like next time I'll have to plan ahead a little more and not buy the chickens the day of - but I really though it was going to be a good idea to have two chickens shredded for dinner that night this past weekend and then lunch all week this week. Live and learn I guess..

Must be the bird. I haven't read anything bad about the SmokeTronix.

Oh it had to have been. Other than when I opened the door to add corn and my Mac n cheese the temp stayed very constant. Not sure what happened other than maybe the bird was frozen in deep still.

That can happen. My son did 2 butts for last Sunday's game (Bengal's fanatic). Used my Cookshack. Stuck the probe in and hit frozen meat toward the center. So cold the controller registered no probe. Told him to relax and just let it go. 13+ hours later, he and friends were enjoying pulled pork nachos. Next time he will make sure the meat is thoroughly thawed.

Last edited:
I am curious, what was the temp setting on the smoker? I set my smoker at 225 degrees for whole chickens mainly so they spend more time in the smoke. As for timing, it can take upward to 5 hours before the breast IT reaches 165 degrees on a +/- 5 pounder. Honestly, I do not go by breast temp. I place the smoker's meat probe into the meat around the thigh joint and body and shoot for an IT of 170 degrees and then double check with the instant read thermo. But, I too would suspect they may not have been completely thawed.
Oh, and try brining the hens 8 to 12 hours or overnight if your fridge has the extra room to spare. The extra flavor and juiciness will knock your socks off.

For a quick week night smoke, you could try leg quaters and save the whole birds for weekend smokes... just food for thought.

Reactions: tallbm
I am curious, what was the temp setting on the smoker? I set my smoker at 225 degrees for whole chickens mainly so they spend more time in the smoke. As for timing, it can take upward to 5 hours before the breast IT reaches 165 degrees on a +/- 5 pounder. Honestly, I do not go by breast temp. I place the smoker's meat probe into the meat around the thigh joint and body and shoot for an IT of 170 degrees and then double check with the instant read thermo. But, I too would suspect they may not have been completely thawed.
Oh, and try brining the hens 8 to 12 hours or overnight if your fridge has the extra room to spare. The extra flavor and juiciness will knock your socks off.

For a quick week night smoke, you could try leg quaters and save the whole birds for weekend smokes... just food for thought.

I had done some reading on here, and it was to keep the smoker at 255-275 for crispier skin, so thats what I had done. I don't remember the exact setting, but I think I had it set to 265 to split the difference. I did also have water in the pan since I knew I was going to be opening the door a couple times (to add corn & mac n cheese) and my understanding is that it helps with thermal loss/recovery to keep the pan full.

I don't have anywhere good to brine and keep the chicken out of the danger zone unless I re-bagged the chickens - I mean I just don't have a bowl that big or a place to put it and have the chicken covered. I actually filled my sink with water, ice and salt which keeps the water temp right at or slightly under 40 degrees for about an hour.

I'm going to do my next smoke for something I don't plan on eating that night I think. lol

I did also have the probe in at the breast shoved in at an angle to the bone. My Weber temp probe is actually within 2 degrees of my smoker, so I do trust the probe.

I had done some reading on here, and it was to keep the smoker at 255-275 for crispier skin, so thats what I had done. I don't remember the exact setting, but I think I had it set to 265 to split the difference. I did also have water in the pan since I knew I was going to be opening the door a couple times (to add corn & mac n cheese) and my understanding is that it helps with thermal loss/recovery to keep the pan full.

I don't have anywhere good to brine and keep the chicken out of the danger zone unless I re-bagged the chickens - I mean I just don't have a bowl that big or a place to put it and have the chicken covered. I actually filled my sink with water, ice and salt which keeps the water temp right at or slightly under 40 degrees for about an hour.

I'm going to do my next smoke for something I don't plan on eating that night I think. lol

I did also have the probe in at the breast shoved in at an angle to the bone. My Weber temp probe is actually within 2 degrees of my smoker, so I do trust the probe.

My understanding is that it is not so good to touch the bone with the probes. Things get all out of wack when hitting a bone and heat measurement.

As for brining I am 100% on board with it. It might be worth getting a tupperware container that is JUST large enough to fit the chicken in breast side down. If the back of the chicken doesn't get fully submerged then no big deal. The breast is the problem child when it comes to dryness and flavor of a chicken.

Chicken is cheap, keep at it and get your process/technique perfected for them whole birds!

265 degrees is plenty hot. Which rack position did you have the birds on? For whole birds, turkey breasts, hams, etc I like to use the second postion from the very bottom.

As for the water pan, I have stopped using it for most smokes. Though I have noticed more temp swings when running dry. No real biggy either way. Also, running a dry water pan helps to crispen poulty skin slightly.

I totally agree with what tallbm said above about brining. You should purchase a large plastic bowl. Or you could even use a new, never used for anything else, gallon plastic bucket for brining or a stainless steel stock pot. Just make sure it is stainless steel and not aluminum etc you don't want to use anything that is reactive. Make space in the fridge. I am lucky to have the second fridge in the garage that I use for brining in addition to cold storage for sudsy beverages, wine, etc. :)

Keep working on it and you will have it perfected in no time.

Eitherway, we can still eat our mistakes or feed 'em to the dog. :D :D

Menards has 4 gallon square #5 plastic food grade buckets for $2.50 or so on sale. They are green and say food grade on one side. There are a few plastics that are food grade. You may ask if deli departments have icing containers etc. you can have. Look in the store at vinegar, alcohol and water bottles and they show #1 but are for single use.

I will use a small throw away aluminum mini loaf pan of water when doing a full packer brisket. 12 to 15 hours is a long time and a little extra moisture never hurts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky