I have a question about meat temps when it’s resting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tatts4life

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
So I bought a MEATER block and so far I love it. But I have a question about when the meat is resting. I set thermometers to be done at 130°. It told me to pull the steaks at 126° and let it rest. While it was resting I saw the temp climb to 140 and then back down to 132° when I finally got the notification that it was done. When the meat is resting and tight can that cause temperature reading to be off or higher? When we cut into the steaks they looked and tasted medium rare

Reactions: asih ashfiani
It is normal for the meat to continue cooking or “carry over cooking” as it’s usually called while you rest the meat. You were probably seeing a good reading

What concerned me is that while it was resting and carrying over the meater shows that the temp got up to 140 and didn’t say it was ready at 130 like it should of. Like I said earlier the meat seemed fine and not over cooked. I was just wondering if that’s how it normally works with steaks and burgers

What concerned me is that while it was resting and carrying over the meater shows that the temp got up to 140 and didn’t say it was ready at 130 like it should of. Like I said earlier the meat seemed fine and not over cooked. I was just wondering if that’s how it normally works with steaks and burgers
May have misunderstood your question. I’m not familiar with your thermometer. Can’t help with why it didn’t tell you it was done @130. Med rare would be between 130-135 which you were not too far from at 140. Where was you probe placed? Thickest part of the steak?

Temp is not effected by how tight the meat is but an IT going higher than what the meat looks like, after the rest, can be a variety of things. If the probe is more shallow than expected, it can show a higher temp than the center. Bones are insulators. Too close and although the therm says rare, the bulk of the meat will be medium and will cook even more with the rest. Fat pockets can show hotter than the lean meat...JJ

Thanks everyone’s answers have helped and it sounds like I just need to mess around until I know what temp is best to pull off at. Weird that it has a long rest or carry over time before it says it’s ready

5EE331FE-D966-48C9-9AD8-12ACEE34D96A.png

So here is a graph showing one of the steaks. The solid grey line shows when I got a notification to take the steak off at 124°. It then was resting for another 3 minutes and you can see it got up to 140 before dropping back to 132 for this steak and MEATER said it was done.

I think you will find all sorts of wild things when you record measurements that accurately. Data can be interesting... IE I can imagine the carry over might get amplified if you covered the steaks with foil after pulling. Stop obsessing about IT and start obsessing about cooking temp. :emoji_laughing: Steaks see a 1500F sear burner here (and no I am not aware of any probe that can handle that). WAY better end product.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky