I finally got a good knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have become addicted to the Bearded Butchers youtube channel, and this knife is the one they use in most of their videos. Victorinox 6 inch semi-stiff boning knife with rosewood handle. I'm tired of trying to trim/debone meat with junky knives and figure if they use this knife in a commercial setting, it should more than suit my needs.
View attachment 515803
I have become addicted to the Bearded Butchers youtube channel, and this knife is the one they use in most of their videos. Victorinox 6 inch semi-stiff boning knife with rosewood handle. I'm tired of trying to trim/debone meat with junky knives and figure if they use this knife in a commercial setting, it should more than suit my needs.
View attachment 515803
great thread. I've done a few searches but never initiated a post because I thought it might be too "ford/chevy"
I have a 30 year old Wusthof my dad gave me before he passed. it's never been sharpened. I've gone through every thing from Better Homes and Gardens to my current set of Chicago, even an alcohol induced click on a Misen knife.
I can't seem to get the hang of stone sharpening after many hours of you-tube tutoring. It just pisses me off when i see those guys slicing paper with a sharpened knife, but they probably start with better stock than me. You can't make ice cream out of poop (as they say). i've recently been contemplating a set of Wusthof but am afraid the quality has diminished., especially with the prices on Amazon nd fear of Chinese imitations.

Reactions: Lorenzoid and DougE
As a guy that has been cut more times than I can remember...Sharp knives cut near painlessly. Many times I didn't notice I was cut until the Blood was on the Board and Food. Get cut with a Dull knife and you know immediately from the excruciating Pain!.
I'll take a Razor sharp knife over a Butter Knife anyway...JJ

jcam222 jcam222 Was surprised how easily the new knives cut. Was like cutting warm butter vs having to saw away at it. Almost did send myself to the ER. LOL.
Jim
I was opening a Mercer Genesis Santoku a few years ago that was in human proof plastic packaging. Got pissed and ripped hard at the plastic. Bad move, broke lose and the knife cut my right index finger clean to the bone severing some nerves. Took about two year for numbness to go away in the finger tip lol. I’m careful and respectful of sharp knives now. As JJ mentioned above it was new and razor sharp. I felt no pain, I just knew however that when I looked down there would be a lot of blood and I was right haha.

Reactions: DougE
I was opening a Mercer Genesis Santoku a few years ago that was in human proof plastic packaging. Got pissed and ripped hard at the plastic. Bad move, broke lose and the knife cut my right index finger clean to the bone severing some nerves. Took about two year for numbness to go away in the finger tip lol. I’m careful and respectful of sharp knives now. As JJ mentioned above it was new and razor sharp. I felt no pain, I just knew however that when I looked down there would be a lot of blood and I was right haha.
Dang, Jeff, it's bad enough to get a nasty cut while using a knife, but getting one while opening it? On a side note, I have gotten some pretty nasty cuts from the heavy vacuum sealed plastic packaging they use these days.

Doug

Reactions: jcam222
I have three of these ... Not with the rosewood handles...but they are great !! Love Them!!!

Once you understand working with a sharp knife, they are actually safer than dull knives. A dull knife requires more force to accomplish the same cut. When it slips it cuts you deep. A sharp knife used with respect, cuts effortlessly and as long as fingers are out of the cut line life is good.

I finally got a decent knife set after using junk knives forever. Almost sent myself to the ER with them the first time I used them. Cut so much easier than what I had been fighting with.
Jim

No fkin lie I get bit by my Dalstrongs almost every time I use them lol. I cut part of the tip of one thumb off clean thru the nail lol.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
For decades I sharpened cheap and second rate kitchen knives with either a pull thru or an electric sharpener, steeling them regularly. Never cut myself. Neither did my wife.

Then I relearned how to stone sharpen the same knives, including a few better ones I've bought. Wow. What a difference. Both of us have cut ourselves more than once. Old habits from duller knives are the problem, not the sharp knives, but we're getting better.

A steel is great for edge straightening, but followup on a wood mounted leather strop takes that straigthened edge to the next level.

I been carrying the some style of SA for close to 40 years, I was a young pup when I got my first 1, have lost several and gave some away, I sent 1 with my brotherinlaw when he passed away from covid recently, I have made it a habit to send our family a knife I have used and loved when they leave here. I always return to the Tinker or something in that line, scissors work great for different things

View attachment 515803
My most prized knifes are 50+ year old Forschner full tang, rosewood handles that were the knives my Nonna used in her restaurant for many yrs. Either keep the handles oiled with mineral oil or butchers block conditioner, or ebonize them by flaming them until they turn black.

Another thing that you should think about buying if you don't already have a quality honing steel.
These are what every butcher I've ever met uses for good reason, they last forever and work great.

Now, buy yourself one of these for touch up and your knives will stay sharp for months.

I can hold my own cutting meat and prepping veg, but my mechanics leave a lot to be desired. I have cut the heck out of my fingers and hands more than I care to think about. Mainly processing big game or after a few cocktails making dinner, my mind moves quicker than my hands/fingers these days.:emoji_fearful:

I rock one of those for my meat processing. I also use a giant Dexter Russel knife that is like a boning knife but my brother broke the tip.

Now if you want to really just trim and cut meat and be super impressed, then use a ceramic knife. OMG so sharp and amazing! Like steel has nothing on the sharpness of of a ceramic knife and steel does not hold the sharp edge like a ceramic knife.
HOWEVER, do NOT mess around with bones or hard stuff with a ceramic knife. They are brittle.

I carefully use a ceramic knife for pork butts if i debone them but I don't dare use them on anything with more complex bone situations than that. You cannot do any animal processing with a ceramic knife either. But put a ceramic knife to a whole packer brisket and trimming is done super fast and easy :)

I picked up a ceramic paring knife from Harbor Freight awhile back and was surprised by how sharp it is considering the price.

Reactions: tallbm
. Victorinox 6 inch semi-stiff boning knife with rosewood handle.
That's exactly what I need . I currently use a Foreversharp fillet knife . My wife bought a set of 3 knives walking thru the mall for $15.00 . That was 30 years ago .
That thing is scary sharp , but it's straight and my hand will bottom out before some cuts are finished . The angle on the one you bought would be perfect .

That's exactly what I need . I currently use a Foreversharp fillet knife . My wife bought a set of 3 knives walking thru the mall for $15.00 . That was 30 years ago .
That thing is scary sharp , but it's straight and my hand will bottom out before some cuts are finished . The angle on the one you bought would be perfect .

I probably should have provided a link to where I got it.

I like the Victorinox 6" boning knife so well that I added a 10 inch breaking knife to the collection.

1652390438852.png

1652390546891.png

View attachment 515803
i'll look at that one (the bigger one. I'm always afriad of fakes on Amazon. I have 25 YO Whustof nd amazon is all over thr place on pricing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky