I didn't want this to be my second post.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm so sorry. Just know that like with many, many others, he saved my ass last Thanksgiving when I bought a 9lb hunk of turkey roast without any idea of how to smoke it. Turned an expensive impulse buy into a delight my own dad raved about.

I'll put extra bay leaves in the turkey n noodles next week!

Chris

Reactions: ChefTrinket
Sorry to hear about this. While I am not as active on this forum as many others, I paid attention to anything JJ posted. It was eithor going to be something great for smoking with details of how he did it or some very good advice to follow for everyone here to make our meals better. He certainly was a mainstay of this forum for longer than the few years I have been here. I am sure he will be missed by all. I do hope all of his great items stay intact here for us and future smokers to enjoy and keep learning from.

Amanda, your news is devastating, but thank you for posting your father's passing. He was an SMF icon of knowledge and support. If Chef JJ said it, you could take it to the bank, or the smoker, or your belly. His absence here will be huge, but not as big as the hole in you and your family's heart. My deepest condolences.

There's ALWAYS been a bottle of Chef JJ's recipe for pulled pork finishing sauce in my refrigerator. I'll send a toast and a prayer every time I reach for it.

Ray

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Being relatively new here, I always looked at the posts your father wrote. His knowledge of food safety impressed me and has made me realize to take it seriously.
My thoughts and condolences go out to you and your family. Prayers sent. God Bless.

My most sincere condolences to the family. This is truly sad news. chef jimmy I will be missed. R. I. P. Chef Jimmy.

So Sorry to hear this! RIP Jimmy.
He was always quick to show up, when a safety question needed his input.
Prayers sent from Macungie to all of Jimmy's Family.
Note: I told him 10 years ago, I was going to call him "Jimmy", because I was the only one who called My Brother "Jimmy".

Bear

This is honestly the last thing I wanted to have to post to you all...

Last night, my father, chef jimmyj chef jimmyj passed away. He was here at home, surrounded with love.

You all here at SMF were a second family to him... He talked constantly about the different issues of the moment, how different people would do amazing and delicious things, and how awesome you all were to him.

I did get the chance to personally meet some of you at one of the Gatherings here in PA, and he absolutely loved being surrounded by the warmth of your friendship and had so much fun just being around like minded people.

We aren't having any type of service because he didn't want that, he will be cremated and as I promised him early in life, bay leaves put in his ashes(because they go in chicken soup damnit!), and he'll be home where he belongs.

My mom and I want to thank each and every one of you for helping give my dad a purpose. He had been handicapped and housebound for a long time, and missed his days as a chef instructor. Once he found you all here at SMF, he not only got to share what he was passionate about, but he got to share it all with people who became more that just random people on a website, many of you become friends.

I may just have to take over posting for him so often... Pie making is about to start and this is my first Thanksgiving on my own. I hope I can make him proud and continue to be the person he wanted.

James Louis Jankoski
(June 4,1962-November 22,2021)
Sorry for your loss

So very sad. I just now read your post about JJ's passing. Couldn't (didn't want to) believe it. I had to read it twice for it to truly sink in that JJ was gone.
JJ is Legend here and SMF will never be the same without him.
He was always so proud of his "family of chefs" and mentioned you all often. You all did him proud.
Sending prayers and condolences to you and your entire family. Thank you for letting us know.
I'll miss JJ.
Gary

So sorry to hear the news. I really feel sad reading this. My mom passed away Thanksgiving weekend 12 years ago and it is a hard every year.

We will all miss him. He was a good guy on here and you will be in my thoughts.

Last night, my father, chef jimmyj chef jimmyj passed away. He was here at home, surrounded with love.

You all here at SMF were a second family to him... He talked constantly about the different issues of the moment, how different people would do amazing and delicious things, and how awesome you all were to him.

I did get the chance to personally meet some of you at one of the Gatherings here in PA, and he absolutely loved being surrounded by the warmth of your friendship and had so much fun just being around like minded people.

We aren't having any type of service because he didn't want that, he will be cremated and as I promised him early in life, bay leaves put in his ashes(because they go in chicken soup damnit!), and he'll be home where he belongs.

My mom and I want to thank each and every one of you for helping give my dad a purpose. He had been handicapped and housebound for a long time, and missed his days as a chef instructor. Once he found you all here at SMF, he not only got to share what he was passionate about, but he got to share it all with people who became more that just random people on a website, many of you become friends.

I may just have to take over posting for him so often... Pie making is about to start and this is my first Thanksgiving on my own. I hope I can make him proud and continue to be the person he wanted.

James Louis Jankoski
So sorry to hear - truly one of the great resources on this board. He will be missed, may he RIP.

ChefTrinket ChefTrinket our family thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. JJ was just awesome and I loved his knowledge and his willingness to share tricks of the trade!

I'm so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family. It's obvious he had a huge impact here and will be greatly missed.

Loosing your father is very tough. Please know he is in a better place and that he still loves you.
As many before have said, chef jimmyj chef jimmyj was very special. I always looked forward to reading his advise. Truly a highly regarded authority and well respected member here on SMF. RIP Jimmy J .....

James Louis Jankoski
Love and prayers to you and family!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky