I bought this beef roast, not 100% sure what it is...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
Rib Roast, Bone in SVP Maybe SVP? not sure, it looks great and was nearly half off so I bought it, vacuum sealed it and froze it for later. What is this cut exactly? its a choice grade. Looks kinda like prime rib I suppose with a net on it.

I have never bought beef roasts so pretty clueless on these, But have always wanted to make some.

Also picked up a NY roast that I cut into steaks. Also about half off. Day before Christmas beef sell of was killer! Is that normal? if yes, I will be stocking up every 12.24.

Does it say SVP or VP? After a lot of googling seems VP would mean the butcher can’t veridy the USDA grade of the beef but in his assessment it is “Virtually Prime”.

I vacuumed the label so I wouldn't space out what it was and when I bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_5650.jpg
    IMG_5650.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 93
Seasonal Value Pricing?????...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
Ok I looked around and found nothing. Now I want to know.
Maybe Pops will see it and have some ideas.
JJ might have it.
'

Reactions: jcam222
Its got a little fat cap and nice marbling so it smoke up nice. But I would kinda like to know - especially if I want to do it again. Otherwise it will be the Christmas mystery roast.

SVP stands for Super Value Pack. This is a Rib Roast aka standing rib roast. Looks like you found a great deal. I have found that on 12/24 most grocers that close Christmas Eve and open December 26th will do some kind of self off the 24th to keep from losing the product on the shelf while they are closed.

Reactions: sandyut and jcam222
SVP looks to be demystified! thanks guys.

I think I will be scouring the meat dept 12.24 often. deals like them will fill a freezer.

Great score Dave! I bought a 17 pounder and smoked it yesterday. I was just mentioning in another thread I am hoping to score some sales on manager clearance in the next couple days. PR and beef tenderloins are common!

Reactions: sandyut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky