I am going to attempt Applewood Chicken Quarters.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Burly567

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2019
Grand Junction, Colorado
I haven't done any poultry in my smoker yet.. I try and remember to take pics (I ain't no photographer)!

I going to do an Apple juice based brine and then smoke over Applewood. If they turn out, I'll post the recipe.

Wish me luck!!!!
Burl

P.S. I have a Char-Broil Deluxe XL Digital Smoker coming. I would love a Green Egg or a Traeger, etc., but they are out of my price range.

Good luck! Sounds like it should work out! Looking forward to seeing pics, Chicken quarters are pretty forgiving, so you should be in good shape!

Yea I feel like the BGE ‘s have gone up in price over the last 5-7 years.. although, honestly what hasn’t..

Reactions: JC in GB
Good lick Burl! What are you smoking on until the new unit arrives? Once it does you'll want to be storing inside the garage during winter. RAY

Good lick Burl! What are you smoking on until the new unit arrives? Once it does you'll want to be storing inside the garage during winter. RAY

A Char-Broil 30" analogue.

Our winters here aren't that rough, we've only had one instance of snow all winter. I've smoked all winter, and when my unit has trouble making temp, I wrap it in cargo blankets. The way the handles are configured, there's plenty of room for the smoke to escape.

Here are my two pics

All rubbed up
20200225_115457.jpg

Here is what I turned out several hours later.
20200225_154331.jpg

I was asked for my Rub recipe, so here it is:

2 TBSP Paprika
2 TBSP Brown Sugar
2 tsp salt
2tsp black pepper
1tsp onion powder.

With the cold weather we had today I couldn't get the temperature up in my smoker. These were done with average temp of 260F

Even with the time it took to smoke, these quarters are juicy. When I used my handheld instant read clear juices came out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky