Hurricane Sally, Gonna Be a Wild Ride

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've a Bluetooth connected weather station atop my house and the highest gust so far has been 54mph.
Supposed to top out at approx 70mph sometime late tonight.
Rainfall over the last 24hrs is only 4 inches, a far cry from the 15-18 inches forecast.

Woohoo! Yes'sir it's a blowing good!
Finally seeing some decent gusts hitting 50mph+.
Getting some serious whistles and howls from the wind, tree branches snapping here and there, a couple of short power losses and plenty of sideways rain.
But no freight train sounding wind shaking the house like a cardboard box like it did during Ivan and Katrina... Good!
That means my shingles and/or siding aren't being ripped off the house again.

Tried to take some video, but the wind/rain keep fouling the lens and too much reflection off glass.

Good news is it keeps shifting further East, so no longer a direct hit for us, but danged close.
If it's track continues it's Eastward creep I figure we'll be about 30 miles West of the eye at landfall.
Keep walking girl, take that slow wandering strut of yours to Florida.

I do fear for my favorite fishing pier as it will be taking a serious lashing, it'll be right in the Eye or the immediate East side of it pretty much... Damn.
The Gulf State Park Pier is just finishing up a $2.5M dollar rebuild, seriously hope they don't have to start all over again.

And I sincerely hope that no one loses their life tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Had the trip booked for this week . I Couldn't make any sense of going to the gulf during hurricane season , after looking at the forecast . So I backed out .
Sisters and family got down there Saturday night . Off 180 by the Fort .
Reed Reality called them Sunday night . Told them to pack up and leave .
Stay safe .
Y'all would be in a real bad spot down there tonight if you'd been stubborn about it, better safe than sorry... Or dead.
Glad to hear they made your Sister's family evacuate.
It's one thing for locals to risk it, stay home and ride it out that close to the coast if it's a Cat2 or less.
But for folks with somewhere else to go... LEAVE!

Facebook is full of my friends and acquaintances who live on the other side of Mobile Bay, and along the beaches, who're getting absolutely hammered. It's bad, my friend David just posted this,
Lost the ceiling in the garage and now the kitchen ceiling just hit the floor. Roofing has failed. Also, power is out.
Now nothing.

My best hunting/fishing buddy bugged out to his hunting property near Grove Hill, AL, His main home is in Orange Beach.
Roll of the dice if it'll still be in one piece tomorrow afternoon.

Dozens more people I know live down that way.

Scott Kennedy
Nasty down here, our fence is gone, neighbors porch collapsed. Lots of flooding. Moving into the eye now though so hopefully that’s the worst of it

Stephen Franklin
John ChileRelleno Cox
our cars are floating away from our house and windows about to be blown out."

Tony Bearden
It’s getting real here! Just lost power and waters 10 foot from the door.

I'm not to religious, but I'm saying a prayer for you, your friends and everyone in Sallys path. Stay safe

Chris

We're still here, we dodged a bullet on this side of the Bay.
Minor damage, still have power.
Many many more aren't so lucky, including several I know who's homes are no longer habitable due to wind/flooding, no longer have cars due to flooding.

Half our pier is gone.

Our prayers to those affected.

I just saw some film tweets of the storm on the Fox news website. Nasty is all I can say. Between the hurricanes in the south and the wildfires out west. I'm glad the only thing I have to deal with is a few months of cold weather and snow.

Stay Safe.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky