How to Smoke Chicken (Video Tutorial)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
A while back I made a video on how I cook a chicken in my Hasty Bake Legacy Smoker and Grill.. this method uses indirect heat at 275°F with pecan wood.

You can do this in the same way using whatever smoker or grill you have.

Here's the video and the written instructions for the brining are below:

Be sure and subscribe to my YouTube channel so you'll be notified every time I upload a video.
Helpful Information
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 2.5 hours
  • Smoker Temp: 275°F
  • Meat Finish Temp: 165°F
  • Recommended Wood: Pecan
What You'll Need

Main prep
Brine (optional)
  • 1 gallon of cold water
  • 1 cup of coarse kosher salt
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
Basting Sauce
Brining

Note: I did not go over the brining process in the video however, I will be doing that in a future video and when I do, I will add a link to that in the “how to smoke chicken video”.. For now, just follow the brining instructions below.

4-6 hours before you plan to prepare and smoke the chicken(s), make the brine by adding the cold water to a large container such as a tea pitcher. Add the coarse kosher salt and stir until the salt is dissolved and the water returns to clear. Stir in the brown sugar and the brine is ready to use.

Place the chicken in a glass or plastic container and pour the brine over the chicken to cover.

Place the container into the fridge for 4-6 hours while the chicken brines.

Once the brining process is finished, remove the chicken from the brine, rinse it under cold water and pat it dry with a paper towel. Discard the brine.

What is brining you ask?
Placing meat into a saltwater solution allows the salty water to aborb into the meat where it gets trapped between the strands. During cooking, moisture is always lost however, since it now has more water than it did naturally, it will end up being juicier.

Print the recipe card

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky