Thanksgiving How to Smoke a Whole Turkey - Video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There are many correct methods for smoking the Thanksgiving turkey as you might imagine.. this video is simply how I do it most of the time.

If you've never smoked a turkey before, I recommend you practice one a few weeks before the big day.

There are many correct methods for smoking the Thanksgiving turkey as you might imagine.. this video is simply how I do it most of the time.

If you've never smoked a turkey before, I recommend you practice one a few weeks before the big day.

Awesome will definitely giving this a try this year!!

A tip for this recipe.. I wanted to show the brine being made a gallon at a time for the video but you can also make the brine right in the water cooler. Double or triple the recipe depending on the size of your turkey and the size of your container. My 12 lb turkey required 2.5 gallons to cover.

Reactions: bdskelly
I don't know if it makes a major difference but the thinking is that gravity causes the juices to run down into the breast during cooking where it's most needed.

Most of the time, this is the configuration that I use.

I like to smoke my poultry on my drum and I prefer breast up. I like low and slow which is to say 225 F, even if low and slow isn't conventional these days. I prefer my drum over my offset because I believe the heat coming from below is an advantage because it hits the untrussed dark meat first - protecting the breast. Since it's best to have the dark meat cook hotter than the white meat, that's another advantage. I like to baste with either straight butter or a butter and extra virgin olive oil mix or sometimes clarified butter. Pull when breast IT is a bit over 150. It will creep up to near 165 during the hold. Dark meat will be closer to 180. My chickens and turkeys always come out awesome, even if the skin is not crispy. But the skin is a dark mahogany all around and the breast squirts juice like a fresh orange. :-D

There is a caveat to my breast down scenario above.. I do everything as indirect heat as possible.
However, If you are cooking in a smoker/grill that allows the heat to hit the turkey head on instead of indirectly, then breast side up would be the preferred method to protect it from that direct radiant heat.

Yes - definitely indirect. I have a water pan underneath the chicken, so the heat comes up, around the sides, then back in, protecting the turkey from direct radiant heat. Harry Soo on youtube likes to cook with a water pan too, on his WSM, but he prefers a dry water pan.

Thanks for putting the video together, always looking for tips!

Unless i missed it, preferred wood to use?
Link for the pan you had turkey sitting on?

Thanks Jeff! (Awesome video by the way!)Will you be at the store in Bixby on Monday? I was going to swing by and grab some of the Texas rub you used in the vid.

Thanks Jeff! (Awesome video by the way!)Will you be at the store in Bixby on Monday? I was going to swing by and grab some of the Texas rub you used in the vid.

Sorry, I missed this post in the chaos this week! We aren't manning the store in Bixby right now. We opened back up a few months back and just not enough traffic to justify it. Mostly online.

Message me privately if you still need this and I can give you another option.

Reactions: beech350guy
Doing a whole turkey on my big smoker with Cherry chunks for Christmas. I was thinking about spatchcocking, but your bird looked so good after leaving it uncut, I think I'll do mine whole, too. Thanks for the great primer, it's been a while since I did a turkey.

Reactions: Marknmd
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky