1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How to Intensify Flavor in Sauce?

Discussion in 'Sauces, Rubs & Marinades' started by Preacher Man, Jan 10, 2019.

1. I've been working on a BBQ sauce lately using a beer from a local brewery I frequent. I like where I'm headed, but one thing I'm trying to do is really intensify the flavor of this beer but also keep the sauce at the current thickness.

My thought is to just add more beer and reduce it down longer. But does anyone else have any suggestions on how to intensify this one flavor while keeping all the other flavors right where they are?

Screenshot_20190110-204515.png

2. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

you got it..keep adding and reducing.

HT

3. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I think you are on the right track.
    What about adding some dregs from the brewery?

My friends used to boil Brats in beer. I thought it was a waste of good beer.... :emoji_upside_down::emoji_rolling_eyes:

I mix my rub with some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, and add a big glob of Sage honey. Tasty, Tasty, Tasty!
    I mix Beer with it in my tummy. :emoji_wink:

4. Scott Eisenbraun

Scott Eisenbraun Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Make the beer your first ingredient, double the usual amount and reduce by half. Add the rest of the ingredients as usual. Should end up with the same consistency.

indaswamp and chef jimmyj like this.
  5. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Try making the sauce without the beer then after reducing it past the thickness you want then add it back in

6. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This the way it's done by Pro Chefs. Beer, Wine, anything containing water. Way Faster to reduce a cup or two of Beer than a Quart of BBQ Sauce with sugar that could burn. Good job Scott...JJ

indaswamp and Scott Eisenbraun like this.
  7. Scott Eisenbraun

Thanks, Chef!

chef jimmyj likes this.
  8. Bigtank

Bigtank Fire Starter

9. Thanks everyone. I'm going to try reducing it first like @Scott Eisenbraun and @chef jimmyj recommend and adding that to everything else. My concern in reducing beer is that it will bring out more bitterness rather than the overall flavor, but I'll see how the sugar and vinegar and other flavors counteract with that.

10. Bigtank

Bigtank Fire Starter

Let us know how it turns out.

11. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Reducing any flavored liquid will intensify some flavor compounds and cook away others. Run a test batch and see what you get...JJ

12. Ran a batch today and divided it up into 4 test bowls. Each bowl started with this reduction added to my other ingredients.

Bowl 1: Original
    Bowl 2: Halved my apple cider vinegar
    Bowl 3: Same as bowl 1 with dijon mustard
    Bowl 4: Same as bowl 2 with dijon mustard
    IMG_20190111_174056.jpg

I was very pleased with the flavor brought out by the reduction! I'm thinking I might add a few more ounces and reduce more to get a touch more flavor. All in all, my favorite was bowl 4.

13. Scott Eisenbraun

Maybe we'll see Preacher Man BBQ Sauce on the store shelves pretty soon.

Preacher Man likes this.
  14. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit

If you make beer, or know someone who does, try to figure out what ingredient in the beer is providing the flavor you want more of, and then add that: barley, hops, yeast, etc.

Obviously the raw ingredients may taste different without the fermentation, but then again, they may be able to pump up the specific taste you are looking for. It is certainly true that when you look on ingredients labels you will often find "yeast extract" and other ingredients that are found in some beers.

Another possibility, although one that has fallen out of favor, is to add a flavor enhancer. MSG has long been used to "kick it up a notch" and provide more intensity to flavors that are already there.

The other suggestions are probably going to produce better results, but I thought I'd give you a few ideas that hadn't been brought up yet.

indaswamp and Preacher Man like this.
  15. chef jimmyj

Unless you know for a fact that you are MSG sensitive, there in no good reason not to add it. None of my family have problems with MSG so I add it most foods I make. It sits on the counter next to the salt & pepper...JJ

indaswamp likes this.
  16. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit

Totally agree. MSG got a bad rap back in the 1970s thanks to "food police" organizations such as the awful Center for Science in the Public Interest. They are the ones that said we'd all die from eating popcorn at movie theaters because they used coconut oil. Fast forward a few decades and now coconut oil is supposed to be really good for you.

It's just like this wonderful clip from Woody Allen's "Sleeper:"

chef jimmyj likes this.
  17. bluewhisper

bluewhisper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Have you considered using powdered malt in place of some of the other sugar(s)?