How to get more smoke flavor in a boston butt on the MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Another possibility:

If you're still putting water in your MES water pan------Stop that !!

Bear
Why no water? i ask because my butts have gone down hill since my first one. I actually forgot to put it in for the first 5-7hrs the first cook. I got so many praises on that thing and I've never been able to duplicate it, my next move was to try w/o the water pan. None of the ones I've done since have gotten the bark as nice 

The MES is so well insulated, adding water to the pan is humidity over-kill.

I never put water in mine (5 years), and always get water vapor on my glass door, and nothing comes out dry.

Also----Water in the pan affects the AMNPS if you use one.

Leave the Water Pan in position, but don't put water in it.

Bear

I do have a different brand electric smoker, but we had the same problem of not getting as much smoke as we wanted also.  We most likely prefer more smoke flavor than most people.

Our solution was to do the usual smoke using hickory chunks (Dry) to about 150-160, then foil to about 200 where I think it is done.  Then let it rest usually a couple hours in the cooler before pulling it and putting the meat in a big SS bowl.  Then we stir in the SoFla's finishing sauce we like.  (Really Good in our opinion)

Now, to get as much smoke flavor we like, we put it into a couple large foil pans and put it back into the smoker and re-start it up with smoke for about 20 minutes, not really cooking it more but heating some while adding another layer of smoke on top.  We bring that back in and re-stir that in the big SS bowl.

This works for us.  You might give it a try and see what you think.  Good Luck.

The MES is so well insulated, adding water to the pan is humidity over-kill.

I never put water in mine (5 years), and always get water vapor on my glass door, and nothing comes out dry.

Also----Water in the pan affects the AMNPS if you use one.

Leave the Water Pan in position, but don't put water in it.

Bear
thanks bear thats kind of what i was starting to see! i just pulled a porkloin and didn't have the water in the tray and it was still plenty moist. 

I have found, and many may disagree. But, I put a piece of charcoal split in half in the wood tray and then top it off with my chips, I put it in after it has preheated and right when I put my meat in. It gives it more of an authentic grill flavor, and I find i only need to fill the wood slot one more time.  I know about the carcinogens of charcoal and that doesn't concern me. I also have the MES 30.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky