How Our Thanksgiving has changed over 52 years

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
How Our Thanksgiving has changed over 52 years

I’ve been thinking about how our Thanksgiving Dinners have change over the 52 years Mrs Bear & I have been married, and I thought some of you might find it interesting.

It all started after getting Married on Dec 27, 1968, followed by an early February flight to Vietnam, 6 weeks later.
Then It was just the 2 of us in Hawaii for our 1969 Thanksgiving Dinner.
Then the following Year, it was again just the 2 of us at Ft Hood, Texas for TG Dinner of 1970.

Then after My Army ETS, we came home to PA, and for a period of about 10 years, all of the major Holidays (Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter) found the 3 of US Dining at Mrs Bear’s parent's house. All of her Siblings would be there, with their kids, totaling about 17 for Dinner.

Then the In-laws sold their house, and moved into a Mobile Home Park, so We changed everything, and split the Holidays off to those who had room for large dinners. So Mrs Bear’s older Brother ended up with Easter & 4th of July (He had a Pool), Her Sister took over Thanksgiving, and We got Christmas.
So Every Thanksgiving started with most of us going to the longest running High School Football rivalry game in the State of Pennsylvania, between Pennridge & Quakertown. The game starts at 10:15 AM on Thanksgiving Day, and we ended up at Mrs Bear’s Sister’s house at about 1PM for Turkey Dinner. There was often small disagreements there over the Football Game, but never any blood, as My Father-in-law & I both graduated from Quakertown, and everybody else there graduated from Pennridge, including Mrs Bear.(Booooo)

Then after about another 10 years of that, with Kids getting married & having their own kids, it was just too many people, so we split off into individual Branches, and we had the 4 of us at our house for all Holiday Dinners.

BTW: Up to this point, My side of the family always got together on Christmas Eve, and later in the day for Easter & Thanksgiving leftovers & Desserts.

Then about 20 years ago, Bear Jr bought a big house on 14 acres, and we started having the Dinners at his house, and it got to be the 4 of us, plus his In-laws & 2 kids for a total of about 11. Then Bethany’s Dad passed away, and the only one other than the 4 of us to show up for the next few years was Bethany’s Mom.

So now this year, due to the Pandemic, in order to stay safe, and be able to get together next year & years after, Mrs Bear & I will be having our Thanksgiving Dinner at our house, and Bear Jr & Bethany will be having their Dinner at their house, about 1/4 mile down the Driveway.

So next year, if I’m still around, it should be the 4 of us at our house, and maybe one more, if Bethany’s Mom can make it.

We have to be extra careful, because 3 out of 4 of us are vulnerable to this Virus, as Mrs Bear has a Pacemaker, I have effects of Agent Orange, including Ischemia, Congestive Heart Failure, COPD, Emphysema, Chronic Kidney Disease, an Aortic Valve from a Cow, and a large Aortic Aneurysm, and Bethany has Diabetes #1.
Nothing that we know of is wrong with Bear Jr, so he has become our Designated “GoFor”, mostly for Groceries. He wears a mask wherever he goes, including when he comes to our house, because he cares about us & anybody else he comes in contact with, where he goes.

So everyone enjoy your Thanksgiving the best you can, but please stay Safe during these trying times.

Bear

Last edited:
Nice story bear. We also will not be going to get togethers and instead will have a big meal at home with just the wife and our 4 kids. It's the responsible thing to do. Give up one year so we can enjoy many more. Sadly it appears many americans will just go on as normal and have large dinner parties and such. It's a shame how entitled we have become as a society. Stay safe and enjoy the holidays the best you can bud

Yup, we've already told the kids not to come over on thanksgiving. My daughter and her husband were planning on flying up from Georgia for the weekend, and my son, his wife and my grandson were coming over. It's a bummer that I'm missing his first turkey day. I've got my fingers crossed for Christmas.

Chris

Me and the Mrs. are in the same boat. Our first Grandchild, a Girl, was born 2 weeks ago. We have been going back and forth about whether or not to go to our Son's for Thanksgiving. He's only having 5 people beside himself and our Daughter in law. But we are most likely going to stay home alone as well. They only live 10 miles away from us, and we only go there when no one else is there. But it's the safe thing to do as my wife has stents from blood clots and I've only got 1 kidney, so we are both somewhat compromised. It's fun getting old isn't it? If the rest of the Country would do as suggested this thing would be far less, IMHO. Jake is right about the shame of our society becoming so entitled. Stay safe everyone.

You started a great thread here, John. Brings back memories for everyone.
Up until we moved up here, we always had big holiday meals with family and friends. For the last 10 years, its been the 3 of us (4 since the grandson was born) and whatever strays we knew of with nowhere to go. This year it was just Miss Linda and me.
We have the same problem up here--lots of idiots having big gatherings and spreading the Covid. So stay safe and have a great (best that you can) Turkey Day.
Gary

We have to be extra careful, because 3 out of 4 of us are vulnerable to this Virus, as Mrs Bear has a Pacemaker, I have effects of Agent Orange, including Ischemia, Congestive Heart Failure, COPD, Emphysema, Chronic Kidney Disease, an Aortic Valve from a Cow, and a large Aortic Aneurysm, and Bethany has Diabetes #1.

Great to get old, ain't it John. That Aortic valve from a cow.....I sure hope they gave you one that was smoked. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Gary

Great Story, John. The older you get the faster time goes by.
Usually we have a house full, not this year. Just Me , Bobbie, Grandson and his Bride (Who live with us, Baby due Jan. 7th) Maybe her Dad.
#1 son is having a get together at his house for him, wife and 3 kids and her parents
be different this year for sure.

Gary

Nice story bear. We also will not be going to get togethers and instead will have a big meal at home with just the wife and our 4 kids. It's the responsible thing to do. Give up one year so we can enjoy many more. Sadly it appears many americans will just go on as normal and have large dinner parties and such. It's a shame how entitled we have become as a society. Stay safe and enjoy the holidays the best you can bud

Thanks Jake!!
Yeah---"I got my rights".
What about the right to life of the people who wear Masks, getting killed by those who refuse to?
I just don't understand.
We've been at home for 8 months---We can take a couple more.

Bear

Reactions: nimrod and TNJAKE
Thanks for sharing, Bear. Brought back many memories of people who've moved on, both family and friends.

This year it will just be me, my wife, and probably enough food to last until Christmas. We'll be Zooming with the kids for a sense of family.

Be well and thanks for staying safe everyone.

Ray

Yup, we've already told the kids not to come over on thanksgiving. My daughter and her husband were planning on flying up from Georgia for the weekend, and my son, his wife and my grandson were coming over. It's a bummer that I'm missing his first turkey day. I've got my fingers crossed for Christmas.

Chris

Thanks for the Comment, Chris!!
I wouldn't get in a plane during this Pandemic, however I really don't miss that part, because the last time I was in a plane was September of 1970 (from Hawaii to San Fran, to Philly).
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Great story and it sounds like you are making wise decisions for the 2020 holidays. It's going to be just the two of us for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Guess we need to make some meal plans....

Thank You!!
"This too shall pass."

Bear

Me and the Mrs. are in the same boat. Our first Grandchild, a Girl, was born 2 weeks ago. We have been going back and forth about whether or not to go to our Son's for Thanksgiving. He's only having 5 people beside himself and our Daughter in law. But we are most likely going to stay home alone as well. They only live 10 miles away from us, and we only go there when no one else is there. But it's the safe thing to do as my wife has stents from blood clots and I've only got 1 kidney, so we are both somewhat compromised. It's fun getting old isn't it? If the rest of the Country would do as suggested this thing would be far less, IMHO. Jake is right about the shame of our society becoming so entitled. Stay safe everyone.

Yup---You are wise being careful, but if everybody who could, did the right thing, we'd all be in better shape than we are now. Too much BS going on, like planning to kidnap & Kill a Governor for trying to keep her people safe. Hard to believe. I guess they think that's taking their rights away.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615
Yup . Be just me and the " kids " 29 and 26 , still live with me . We're each going to make a couple things . I was going to bring my Mom over , but changed my mind .
I'm looking forward to it .

Sad to say, but probably wise to keep Mom out of the crowd this year.
As far as I'm concerned, your Son is a Hero for continuing to work at a Supermarket, even when idiots come in without wearing masks.
Heard one guy predict that the Pandemic would be gone after the first week of November.
So now we got 255,000 Dead Americans, 12,000,000 infected (up to 194,000 per day).
Yup that really went away, huh!
Stay Safe Rich!

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Bear, your story brought back family memories for me. Throughout my years we have had family get togethers, but this year will be diiferent as I will be staying home for Thanksgiving and not taking any chances.

Thank You Rob!!
Stay Safe!!

Bear

Nice story bear, yeah as I got older the get togethers are a whole lot smaller then what they used to be, stay safe my friend and have a nice holiday.

Thank Jim!!
I'm not such a good partier, like I used to be anyway.
Used to be first their & last to leave.
Last 10 years, I've been last one there, first to leave.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky