How much pulled pork for how many people...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MelonSC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Omaha, Nebr
I was asked if I could make pulled pork for my boys Boy Scout Blue and Gold banquet, I said sure why not. I've found a few formulas to give rough amount of meat needed.

From what I've found and figured up, I think I need about 50 lbs (last year had 125 people, I was told to plan for 150 or so) Do those equations take into account bone weight? With the budget hes given me, I'm hoping to buy 7-9 pork butts. I'm guessing they will average 7-8 pounds a piece. I'm also trying not to overthink it either :) I'd just rather not run out when theres that many people.

Thank you for any advice and suggestions :)

Factoring 5 oz. per person and 50% yield loss I would go with 94 lbs raw weight. You could do 4 oz per person by doing 75 lbs raw. I hate riding out so usually go with at least 5 oz. finished per person.

Reactions: noboundaries
I prefer to have left overs and figure enuff for 2 sandwiches each for family functions, 10 oz raw , also how you pull it so its easier to handle when building helps, I bought a 4 finger puller that goes into my drill, works great wish I had bought 1 years ago, drop the butt into a large stainless pot and a minute or 2 pore it out and do another,

Factoring 5 oz. per person and 50% yield loss I would go with 94 lbs raw weight. You could do 4 oz per person by doing 75 lbs raw. I hate riding out so usually go with at least 5 oz. finished per person.

Funny thing about that, most of the butts I find average 7-8 pounds and he told me to just buy 10. If I go that route, I think I'm going to end up with 70+ pounds and maybe closer to 80. I also think 80 is going to max the budget unless I find a smoking deal between now and March 13th.

Now to find that drill adapter :)

Reactions: jcam222
150 × 5 =750 ÷ 16 = 47 ÷ .6 = 78.3 sandwiches. If you figure a 60% yield, that's minimal trimming of fat cap and nothing else, mixed well, you can get a 60% yield and 80 pounds Raw Butts will do it...BUT...That's accurately Portioned and Plated! No Buffet Service. You go Buffet and you are back up to Jcams 94-95 pounds of Butts. Men will serve themselves 10 oz or 2 sandwiches. Women and Boys around 5 oz but Webelos will eat 7-8 oz on a plate or 2 sandwiches. Dad was a Pack Leader for 10 years, been to my share of B & G Dinners...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
Also factor in what sides there will be. If there is a bunch of other stuff to fill the plate up the meat will go a little further.

I did up 70# raw and fed about 90 people. That was with slaw and beans.
Talk to your butcher and tell them it is for a nonprofit function and you should get a discount.

I talked to a few meat markets and one told me they sell boneless shoulders to their customers, save weight on the bone, and quoted me $2.85/lb. The other place I talked to quoted bone in shoulders and was around $2.25/lb . I like not hassling with the bone considering how much I'm smoking, but the lesser price sounds better. And fits better in the budget :)

Get the Butt with the Bone. When done, the Bone will slide out clean, like it it was greased! Unless you are smoking the pork to Slice, there is no good reason to get Boneless, unless it's cheaper, and it isn't...JJ

If you have a Sam's Club or Costco check prices on butts there I have never paid anywhere near that much for a pork butt. I think the most I have ever paid was like 1.89 and lately more like .99--1.39 depending on where and when bought

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky