How much cleaner is the smoke, from the AMNPS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Drayken

Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I am trying to get as much info,before deciding which smoker to buy and what I'll need to do. I'm trying to decide between a MES and a smokin it smoker.

How much cleaner is the smoke,from the AMNPS, in a mailbox mod, compared to just setting it in the bottom of the smoker? If I go MES, I'll do the mailbox mod, but if I go smokin it, obviously I won't be able to do that. I don't even know of the 5x8 will even fit in the bottom of the smokin it. Might have to put on bottom rack instead of drip pan. Plus I don't even know ifiit will stayslit in a smokin it box. Second question, is the 5x8 alot better than the tube, or just allows for longer time? (I've read the 5x8 can use dust)

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
Check out the inside of the MB.... Full of creosote.... Check out how clean my smoked meat is... Ham and Turkey

MB Mob Creosote buildup 002.JPG ..

HAM 005.JPG .. 004.JPG

it's kind of a long read, but here's a good article about "smoke" that you may find interesting: link

"Creosote is among the compounds in smoke and it is the Jekyll and Hyde of smoke cooking. On the Dr. Jekyll side, creosote contributes positively to the flavor and color of smoked foods and acts as a preservative, among the reasons that smoking meat was used for preservation before refrigeration. Dr. Blonder says "Creosote is always present in charcoal or wood smoke, and a few components of creosote (guaiacol, syringol, and phenols) are the largest contributors to smoke flavor. No creosote, and the meat might as well have been boiled." On the Mr. Hyde side, "If the balance of the hundreds of chemicals in creosote shifts, it can taste bitter rather than smoky."

Drayken,
Sorry, just happened to see this.
I'm of the opinion that using something like an AMNPS in a Mailbox Mod gives the smoke a good "filtering" because the smoke entering the smoking chamber has had time for the nastiness to be condensed out of it.
For many decades I had my wood smoldered inside of what ever smoker I was using at the time. It worked good, and I got smoky goodness on my meats and fish.
But I think my Smoken Game took a giant leap forward after finding SMF and seeing how others were getting the kind of results I was trying to achieve.

That said, if I was looking for my next smoker, I'm hand down sold on a Smokin It smoker. But not so sure I could or would in all clear conscience be able to modify it for a Mailbox Mod. Oh, I could. And probably would.
But not in my foreseeable future.

Another one to look at, Particularly for you and your sausage making, would be a TSM Smoker. The Sausage Maker has smokers already designed with guys like you in mind. They are designed to do hanging sausage.

In my opinion, Both the SI and TSM smokers look superior to the MES line. But being in the Winter side of my life, I'm not apt to be buying another smoker, myself.
I would consider the hanging room in any smoker under consideration.
Set up well now while you are still working, and be happy for the rest of your life.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky