How healthy is your wood pile

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

motolife313

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2016
IMG_8119.JPG
Mines doing pretty good. Got about 6 cord of good dry wood not including fire wood, only smoking and couple cords that just started seasoning which is my nice white oak. I'm trying to get my pic to load. Might take a sec

Last edited:
Lol ya mines a gas saver. Should be good for a few out door camp fire cooks to. I wanna come up with a hovering cooking grate over a fire. I was using saw horses and 2x4's then a big Weber cooking grate. I got some maple I use for that

IMG_8111.JPG
I thought this was a cool looking piece of wood
IMG_8120.JPG
Some of my green oak is in the middle. I got couple other big piles also

Last edited:
Reactions: yankee2bbq
I got about 2 ricks of seasoned oak and 1 rick of unseasoned oak. I also have some kiln dried for a fire pit and a downed hickory and pear tree with my name on it

Great looking pile of fuel there you will need a couple of whole cows and about a dozen pigs plus a lot of chicken.
I have some maple and about 1/2 cord pear.

Warren

Seems to be a bit over managed around here. Now I don't no where the thread has moved to

The one piece of wood should be saved for something else. I just got a knife blank and saved some cherry burles that I am going to slab cut on the table saw tonight for knife scales.

IMG_8202.JPG
4 cords here. 3 cords oak and 1 alder, alder has been seasoning since September. I wanna build a roof over it!

How do U guys running stick burners buy your wood? The oak seems to be my favorite wood for smoking, that mixed with another fruit wood

Reactions: ReelFaster
I have about a cord maybe a little less and I so far have not had to buy any of it, just a little sweat equity.
Up here in a north Louisiana we have orchards of pecan trees and tons of oak trees.
Also my FIL has some land in NW Arkansas and we spent an afternoon cutting up and getting a truckload if hickory and white oak that he had cut down last October. I’m using that hickory now as well as some of my pecan.
I have several places that I have simply talked to the owners and ask d if I could get some limbs that were down. Great thing about pecan trees is that they are fairly brittle and will break especially after a good wind storm.

I buy firewood for the house, sometimes ordering an extra 2 cords I get Cherry and use it for the smoker. I had to cut down a plum tree have two nice cherry trees in the yard I have to drop this coming winter.

The plum is really good. I dropped one last year around this time. It grew yellow plums and has a organey pink color to it. I think the cherry splits really nice, seems to take a while to season tho.

I've never tried pecan. I wouldn't mind trading some wood

Pecan is pretty amazing. Sweet and smoky. Perfect in my opinion except for the fact that it doesn’t burn so hot or long. That’s why I got hickory and white oak and use some pecan for flavor.

Sounds like it would be a good wood for me since my smoker is not that big. It's about 60 gallon I think insulated well and stainless. I wanna about another 4" exuast or build a nice wanna pan\ grease pan. I think a water pan will help a lot on keeping temps down

Are u going to put end sealer on the wood do it doesn't crack?

The handle wood will likely get sealed in 60/40 linseed oil/mineral spirits and the coated with tung oil once glued to the handle. The corky spots will get sealed up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky