How healthy is your wood pile

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My wood pile is looking pretty anemic right now. i am bout out i have 5-7 smokes worth of wood left so will order some more next month. Last time i got wood was a mix a pecan and apple with a small amount of white oak mixed in to make a full truck load. my guy knows i prefer fruit or pecan wood for my smoking. I buy a pick up load about a little more than a 1/3 of a cord and have it cut short and split twice (to make better splits for the smoker) and he delivers and stacks it at my house and the charge is $90. that amount lasts me about 6-7 months.

about 4 years ago i had a friend give me a small apple tree that feel and a downed plum tree. i made him some CSR's from the wood on my WSM and the plum wood had purple streaks in the middle. weirdest wood i ever saw. i had to cut all that small for the WSM but made some good ribs and pork!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

My grandad had a pecan tree blow over in a storm. Gonna have plenty soon.

Pecan.png

I bet it was Joe...a few years ago he burned pecan at the NC gathering on his 250 gal smoker and i have used it as much i can ever since, i love the smell and the flavor!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I've got about 2 cords of seasoned oak and close to another unseasoned drying out. Most of the oak is white, chestnut, and little bit of red oak. I burn it in the winter a little as well!

I have it all for you Bear. This was it just linseed oiled. It has 5 more coats of tung oil on it and likely to get a couple more. This is my packable deer gutting and skinning knife now and it shaving hair sharp!! I had a bigger piece of burle and it was all rotten inside, I almost cried. :(
small-skinner-4.jpg

small-skinner-5.jpg

Here is the handle making and there is the sheath making. I messed up on the sheath where I should have put the belt loop on the opposite side. Its made as if for the left side and its backwards to draw it on the right. It may end up being mounted upside down on my left backpack shoulder strap. Then it will be perfect if ever needed

sheath-16.jpg

Last edited:
Thank You Rob!!!
That's Downright Beautiful !!
A Prize Possession!
You should be Proud of that!!

FYI: Don't get into sanding any "Spalted" wood. A long time ago I read about a "Turner" who used to Turn Old Tree Roots that had beautiful grain patterns, and he was dying of a Lung disease he got from the Dust. Apparently there are creatures that live in Rotted (Spalted) wood, and he got some in his lungs & they were reproducing & taking over.
He was advising people who turn Spalted wood to wear completely Self contained Breathing units.
The story was in a copy of "Fine Woodworking" a long time ago.

Bear

Wow, I never heard of that and Maybe I guess I'll wear the respirator when making any more and set the fan to blow the dust away out the door. I would assume there is some Fungi dust as the fungi is the reason for the burle. Although, its done in moderation. I doubt I'll make too many more knives. They are only for mine or family and friends pleasures.

I didn't want to alarm anyone, but people might be more careful if they heard about this.
Yes it was a fungus.

That's the kind of things I did---Wear a plain mask & use a fan, and hardly ever worked with Spalted woods.
In my Cabinet Shop I never wore a mask when working with Kiln Dried Hardwoods, but I had a good dust collector. Still should have wore a Mask, but didn't.

Bear

Nice knife. My wood pile is smaller than some and larger than most. it is all oak and mostly green still

Hopefully this loads... Currently I have 8 full cords split and stacked plus another 6 on the ground. It's all oak and maple. Here's a pic of a 24*18 maple burel I'm working into a clock for my shop. The numerals are carved (hard to see) and I'll inlay them with coffee grounds in a clear epoxy.
IMG_20181205_103101547.jpg

Reactions: archeryrob
View attachment 362508 4 cords here. 3 cords oak and 1 alder, alder has been seasoning since September. I wanna build a roof over it!

How do U guys running stick burners buy your wood? The oak seems to be my favorite wood for smoking, that mixed with another fruit wood

Stacks are looking great!! You need to check Firewood Hoarders Club (FHC) having that much firewood. Am sitting on close to 6 cords but most of that is still wet.

I just scored some mulberry and more cherry few weeks back, and my hickory chunks should be ready to rock this spring/summer. I love oak too mixed with a fruit wood, usually it's cherry for me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky