How do they expect this forum to survive when they can't even fix basic formatting issues ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use android and chrome. No issues. Jeff has always said the forum is FREE for anyone to join and use. I know for a fact he has more IT working on it then just his people. I dont know nothing about websites. Seems to me, maybe I am wrong but you seem to be the only one with the issue. Maybe its on your end?

Hmmmm interesting.

Have you tried while logged out? I'm wondering if it has something to do with your logged in profile since it happens on multiple browsers AND across 2 completely different devices.
Yes, I have. I even had a friend join the site to see if his view would be the same or normal.
It is the cut down version as well. And he is with a different internet provider.

I use android and chrome. No issues. Jeff has always said the forum is FREE for anyone to join and use. I know for a fact he has more IT working on it then just his people. I dont know nothing about websites. Seems to me, maybe I am wrong but you seem to be the only one with the issue. Maybe its on your end?
Nope you are wrong go read the other threads that are posted in this forum page there are many others effected. If it was only me I would deal with it but it's not only me so Im trying to help find a fix to these problems.

Nope you are wrong go read the other threads that are posted in this forum page there are many others effected. If it was only me I would deal with it but it's not only me so Im trying to help find a fix to these problems.

Ok. Just know he has people working on it.

Reactions: forktender
Dave, ever since the last update viewing the forum has been almost unbearable to read.
The right side of the screen where the ''Latest threads" and the ''Hot Threads" has taken over almost 75% of the pages view is only 6'' wide.
And the left side where you type or read posts and thread is literally 3'' wide on my 20'' Laptop screen. So 9'' of my 20'' screen is texts and the rest of it is advertising crap and forum headers. I literally spend about 75-80% less time on the forum and for the time being quit sending people here to check out the forum. Have you ever tried to read thread or type a post that is 3'' wide on a 20'' screen? its unbearable and super hard on the old eyeballs.

I'm assuming that everyone got the same P/M- message that Jeff sent me saying that he hasn't been around the forum for a while now and that he has his guys working on these problems that were caused by the last forum update.
Which means he has been aware of the problem for over five weeks now. His p/m was a few weeks ago now yet the problem still exists. I know people that have made/ coded whole new forums in less than five weeks. I would be livid if I was Jeff, he has been paying for a product that isn't operating properly unless he made the choice to make the ad's take up the majority of the viewing area which I highly doubt.

This poem/haiku format is complete B.S. and there is absolutely no way that it is good for the health of this forum. I'd be incredibly pissed if I was paying for the forum to run properly like I'm sure @TulsaJeff is. This problem is beyond Jeff's IT guys hands someone has to get in touch with Xenforo and tell them that their last update has caused coding issues that have disrupted the way text is written and read by some viewers.. I joined the Xenforo forums too try to figure out the bug that has infected ths Smoking-Meat forums but without some info from Jeff the web designers over on the Xenforo site will not respond too my questions about the Bug/glitch from the latest update. I see that Jeff did make as trial membership so new people can try out the forum without having the ad's cover most of the forums text which was a great move on his part.

I have that problem on different forums....
The ALL use different 'codes' for my computer to read...
I have to 'refresh' stuff about 2 times per year to catch up...
The only problem I have with these situations IS... I don't want to be a computer programmer.. I want my computer to just post stuff correctly... That ain't gonna happen so I have to search for fixes from the great beyond and hope I can fix it.....
There is an UPSIDE to all this.... They say us 'OLD FOLKS' should work our brains to keep from getting addled.... I hope it's working.... or I may be getting some other 'OLD FOLKS' condition I don't know how to spell.... Now that would tick me off.... Iffin I cnat spel it, hows can I luk it up to c what I's gots...

I have this problem on desktop browsers as well. It’s better if you don’t use a wide browser. Don’t maximize it and size the browser to be a tall skinny window. The bug is with their responsive design grids which is technomumbo jumbo for how to
make it look good on a mobile phone.

I have this problem on desktop browsers as well. It’s better if you don’t use a wide browser. Don’t maximize it and size the browser to be a tall skinny window. The bug is with their responsive design grids which is technomumbo jumbo for how to
make it look good on a mobile phone.

Interesting info. This makes me think that it MAY be a screen resolution (display dimensions) thing.

I use 32 inch 720p monitors/tv's as my screens. My resolution is 1360 x 768.

forktender forktender if you can play around with your screen resolution I would wonder if that fixes things. I know some people use different resolutions on their monitors/screens so things are bigger and can be seen more easily OR there are people using older or smaller monitors that use a not so current wider format or more current resolution sizes.

Just a thought on something simple to try if you know how to mess with screen resolution and can find an acceptable one that works.

Interesting info. This makes me think that it MAY be a screen resolution (display dimensions) thing.

I use 32 inch 720p monitors/tv's as my screens. My resolution is 1360 x 768.

forktender forktender if you can play around with your screen resolution I would wonder if that fixes things. I know some people use different resolutions on their monitors/screens so things are bigger and can be seen more easily OR there are people using older or smaller monitors that use a not so current wider format or more current resolution sizes.

Just a thought on something simple to try if you know how to mess with screen resolution and can find an acceptable one that works.

Good idea but that wouldn't explain why it happens on his phone too.

Dave, ever since the last update viewing the forum has been almost unbearable to read.
The right side of the screen where the ''Latest threads" and the ''Hot Threads" has taken over almost 75% of the pages view is only 6'' wide.
And the left side where you type or read posts and thread is literally 3'' wide on my 20'' Laptop screen. So 9'' of my 20'' screen is texts and the rest of it is advertising crap and forum headers. I literally spend about 75-80% less time on the forum and for the time being quit sending people here to check out the forum. Have you ever tried to read thread or type a post that is 3'' wide on a 20'' screen? its unbearable and super hard on the old eyeballs.

I'm assuming that everyone got the same P/M- message that Jeff sent me saying that he hasn't been around the forum for a while now and that he has his guys working on these problems that were caused by the last forum update.
Which means he has been aware of the problem for over five weeks now. His p/m was a few weeks ago now yet the problem still exists. I know people that have made/ coded whole new forums in less than five weeks. I would be livid if I was Jeff, he has been paying for a product that isn't operating properly unless he made the choice to make the ad's take up the majority of the viewing area which I highly doubt.

This poem/haiku format is complete B.S. and there is absolutely no way that it is good for the health of this forum. I'd be incredibly pissed if I was paying for the forum to run properly like I'm sure @TulsaJeff is. This problem is beyond Jeff's IT guys hands someone has to get in touch with Xenforo and tell them that their last update has caused coding issues that have disrupted the way text is written and read by some viewers.. I joined the Xenforo forums too try to figure out the bug that has infected ths Smoking-Meat forums but without some info from Jeff the web designers over on the Xenforo site will not respond too my questions about the Bug/glitch from the latest update. I see that Jeff did make as trial membership so new people can try out the forum without having the ad's cover most of the forums text which was a great move on his part.
I have experienced the exact same issue as forktender. Not every device or every day- but enough to make reading the forum a major pain.

Well it appears that once again the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The format is back to normal.
Thank you for everyone that tried to help and had idea's on how to fix this the bug, I really appreciate it.

And a big thank you to everyone working on the fix.
What was the problem?

Thanks again.
Dan

Well that was short-lived, it's back to poem form.:emoji_frowning2:

Tired of responding to this, I'll just leave it at this...it's not on my end I didn't change anything it was the forums last update. There are others dealing with the very same issue.

Reactions: chopsaw
Strange how it effect some but not others. I guess I’m fortunate because I do not have any issues either on my desktop or iPhone.

Tired of responding to this, I'll just leave it at this...it's not on my end I didn't change anything it was the forums last update. There are others dealing with the very same issue.
I didn't have it happen this time , but when they first changed the format I did . I know it don't help , but I feel your pain .
Maybe the fact that it changed for a bit is a sign of progress .
Hang in there the best you can . I know you have already . I hope they get it fixed for you guys .
It's almost unusable like that .

the issue is based on browser window size and resolution. Since those are different for everyone, it’s not all that surprising. The current workaround for those affected is to make your browser window tall and skinny and while it doesn’t fix the grid issue, it moves the columns around enough to be readable.

It is possible the the upgraded version SMF doesn't want to play nicely with one or some of your computer settings. I kinda doubt that because I think I remember you saying you had the same results on your friends computer.

Chris

Thank you, Mike.
I'm trying really hard not to just say screw it and move on, the only reason I haven't done so already is because of how much I like this site. I knew it wasn't on my end because of all the testing I've done with other machines and starting fresh by having a friend join, so I could see her view.

The forum went through this in the beginning of the switch too xenforo as well, I guess it go more attention that time because it was more widespread and affecting everybody.

I sure hope they take you up on your offer because this crap is driving me insane and going on six weeks is just uncalled for.

Thank you for offering to help out the forum.
Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky