How do they expect this forum to survive when they can't even fix basic formatting issues ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
1598855654862.png

This has been going on for over a month now. Somebody needs to fix this.

Being a premier member which I have been before for a year only gets rid of ads. His total viewing format has changed which has nothing to do with being a premier member. The screen shot above shows a thread on the left side (may need a magnifying glass.) Each of his lines is one to three words before reading the next line down. Maybe three vertical lines for a sentence. Something happened to his viewing format that hasn't happened to others when the update started. He has been a great contributor to this site otherwise he wouldn't have that OTBS badge. Somefeed back is all so he can experience reading left to right across the page vs constantly scrolling up every one to three words to get to the bottom of the thread.

I hope Dan's issue with the formatting can be resolved. I can imagine how frustrating it can be when you are experiencing a problem and the rest of us are not.

I personally have enjoyed some great dialog with Dan and sincerely hope he gets the issue resolved. I honestly do not think it has to do with the site though. Mine is viewing with no problems on my phone (Android) and on my desktop PC. Unfortunately I am not very tech savvy and cannot offer any advice on how to fix the issue. Surely somebody will chime in and help...at least I hope so.

Reactions: dubob
I replied in the other thread he had .

No issues here on Android or kindle.
forktender forktender , are you experiencing this on phone, tablet, pc, all ? The type of format you have on device has to be the issue if no one else is having problems.
I am electronically challenged so not any help, but a reset, reboot ? I would guess, you have tried that already.
Hope you can get it squared away.

I rarely ever sign out of the forum, but have you tried logging out, reboot and then log back in ?
"Just grasping at straws"

Whoa people, before anyone gets their Cheerios pissed in let's remember the complexity of interpretating the tone or even meaning of text messages.
Easy to confuse contributing member between being a monetary Contributor to the site or contributing to the community via interaction on the forums.
I had to read Cowboy's post twice before I realized which one he meant.
So let's not jump one another's sh!*.

That said, even non-monetary contributors to the site should be able to expect some help with problems possibly related to the site.

I can say from my other's and my own experiences with email notification issues, it takes time.
I may be wrong, but to my understanding no one here is a full time, paid IT tech/Administrator.

forktender forktender
I hope they can get you figured out.
That is a bummer bug to be stuck with.

Hello? Anybody home? This forum is, after all, called the BUGS, GLITCHES AND MISCELLANEOUS FORUM PROBLEMS forum. I'm not any kind of special member here, but certainly support ANYBODY'S right to post on THIS forum ANY problems encountered while using the website. Doesn't matter to me whether the person having a problem just joined yesterday or 10 years ago and has 30,000 posts to their name. My recommendation would be for anybody having a problem with that would be to either help the person asking for help or leave them the Hell alone. I was under the impression that we're all here to help one another produce better BBQ, not get into pissing matches over ones contribution level - financial or otherwise. A couple of y'all need to chill and go have a brew or whatever puts you in a mellower mood.

Forktender - hope you find what you're looking for without any more snide remarks from the grouches.

Reactions: forktender
Dave, ever since the last update viewing the forum has been almost unbearable to read.
The right side of the screen where the ''Latest threads" and the ''Hot Threads" has taken over almost 75% of the pages view is only 6'' wide.
And the left side where you type or read posts and thread is literally 3'' wide on my 20'' Laptop screen. So 9'' of my 20'' screen is texts and the rest of it is advertising crap and forum headers. I literally spend about 75-80% less time on the forum and for the time being quit sending people here to check out the forum. Have you ever tried to read thread or type a post that is 3'' wide on a 20'' screen? its unbearable and super hard on the old eyeballs.

I'm assuming that everyone got the same P/M- message that Jeff sent me saying that he hasn't been around the forum for a while now and that he has his guys working on these problems that were caused by the last forum update.
Which means he has been aware of the problem for over five weeks now. His p/m was a few weeks ago now yet the problem still exists. I know people that have made/ coded whole new forums in less than five weeks. I would be livid if I was Jeff, he has been paying for a product that isn't operating properly unless he made the choice to make the ad's take up the majority of the viewing area which I highly doubt.

This poem/haiku format is complete B.S. and there is absolutely no way that it is good for the health of this forum. I'd be incredibly pissed if I was paying for the forum to run properly like I'm sure TulsaJeff TulsaJeff is. This problem is beyond Jeff's IT guys hands someone has to get in touch with Xenforo and tell them that their last update has caused coding issues that have disrupted the way text is written and read by some viewers.. I joined the Xenforo forums too try to figure out the bug that has infected ths Smoking-Meat forums but without some info from Jeff the web designers over on the Xenforo site will not respond too my questions about the Bug/glitch from the latest update. I see that Jeff did make as trial membership so new people can try out the forum without having the ad's cover most of the forums text which was a great move on his part.

Last edited by a moderator:
forktender forktender .
Wife recently lost half her page from her website on laptop and we kinda went through the same thing, smaller format. Other sites were fine. She accidentally hit something and it went berserk. Went to the settings(upper right corner) and Changed the zoom % and that reclaimed her screen. Dell Inspirion. Don't know if has anything to do with your issue ? ? ?

Reactions: grubby64
View attachment 461040
This has been going on for over a month now. Somebody needs to fix this.

I assume this screenshot is from a computer web browser.

If so which web browser are you using?
If using chrome try clearing ALL data. This includes old files that may be from the pre-update that are messing things up (files called Stylesheets-CSS).
After close the web browser and open it back up.
This same procedure works with all web browsers but the steps may be different as their settings and menus are not all the same.

Here is an image of how to do this in Chrome:
1598913743947.png

Now if you aren't using Chrome as your web browser I would try downloading and using Chrome to see if it behaves differently than your current web browser.

If you are using a phone I would suggest doing the same thing but not sure what the steps are and if you have an iPhone its probably just their tactics to get you to buy the latest phone out :P JUST KIDDING about the iPhone.

Anyhow, this may not fix anything but the reasoning is solid and the fix is simple should it be a problem that you have an old version of a CSS file stored to work with the newly updated changes.

I'm hoping that offering some potential solutions may get you past the pain. Let me know if this helps out! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
Both, laptop and android phone are displayed the same.
I use chrome and or Firefox at times. I've tried other browsers and get the dame results. I cleared my old files and data many times with zero effect. Kinda weird how it happening to some users and not others, both paying and nonpaying forum users.

Both, laptop and android phone are displayed the same.
I use chrome and or Firefox at times. I've tried other browsers and get the dame results. I cleared my old files and data many times with zero effect. Kinda weird how it happening to some users and not others, both paying and nonpaying forum users.

Hmmmm interesting.

Have you tried while logged out? I'm wondering if it has something to do with your logged in profile since it happens on multiple browsers AND across 2 completely different devices.

First the snark, then the serious...
1. Of course we'll survive...we're used to waiting 6 hours for dinner, aren't we? :-)
2. If you're viewing on a PC, can you try a different browser? Perhaps a different monitor/display? Can you increase the resolution of your monitor? (Right-click on the desktop and look for "settings"?) If on a phone, maybe rotate the display? The browser may be treating the "Hot Threads" as a separate column...can you hover there and does a dashed line appear? You can maybe drag it to the right and get more area for the desired text and less width for the "sidebar" info, which I think is your main problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky