How are Bubba Burgers so juicy?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waytoodeep03

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
How can a frozen mass produced burger turn out this juicy when cooked?

If I make a ground chuck or high fat content ground sirloin burger it is never this juicy if it is even juicy at all.

How do they get these things so juicy

Im not sure if you live in a city with a burger place called Hoppdoddy but their burgers and turkey burgers are the exact same way. Meat Just full of juice.

What is the secret?

I have only had them once, but I am pretty sure they use 100% Ground Chuck with no other fillers.

I recently started buying half a cow and getting about 80-120 lbs of ground beef. The last 2 cows that I have gotten, the meat is SO juicy, my wife says they are the best burgers she has had and I havent changed a thing about how I make them. I honestly think it has a HUGE impact on where they might be getting their beef from.

I wonder if they blend it with that stuff Daveomak was talking about a little while ago. STP or STPP it supposed to add/retain moisture. It looked like it worked great on his chickens, wonder if it ground beef.

Chris

Its been several years since I've had them just because they are like $12 for a 6 pack around here and I prefer to make my own but I've got family that raves about them. I might have to buy a pack this weekend to throw on and just compare.

I wonder if they blend it with that stuff Daveomak was talking about a little while ago. STP or STPP it supposed to add/retain moisture. It looked like it worked great on his chickens, wonder if it ground beef.
Never had them but I was thinking the same. Totally impressed me on chicken. Gonna try it on some burgers and will report back...

I was just reading the label on them. It says no "added sodium" (salt),"MSG, soy, nitrates or nitrites", but nothing about phosphates or any other moisture retainers. That is as good of a guess as any.
Also they are 151 gram patties and 35 grams of that is fat so that is over 23% fat.

I gotta say, I was pretty convinced with flavor texture and juiciness after trying @SmokinAl's post about brisket burgers. Yes, even over grinding your own chuck.

I was just reading the label on them. It says no "added sodium" (salt),"MSG, soy, nitrates or nitrites", but nothing about phosphates or any other moisture retainers. That is as good of a guess as any.
Also they are 151 gram patties and 35 grams of that is fat so that is over 23% fat.

I gotta say, I was pretty convinced with flavor texture and juiciness after trying @SmokinAl's post about brisket burgers. Yes, even over grinding your own chuck.
This is the ingredients to their bacon burger.

Anything here stick out to you that says it would make it juicy? Anything I can use in homemade burgers?

USDA Beef Chuck, Cheddar Cheese [(Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Water, Milk Fat, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Salt, Artificial Color, Potato Starch, Corn Starch, Powdered Cellulose (added to prevent caking)], Bacon (Cured with Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite. May Contain Smoke Flavoring, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Ascorbate). Contains: Milk

This is the ingredients to their bacon burger.

Anything here stick out to you that says it would make it juicy? Anything I can use in homemade burgers?

USDA Beef Chuck, Cheddar Cheese [(Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Water, Milk Fat, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Salt, Artificial Color, Potato Starch, Corn Starch, Powdered Cellulose (added to prevent caking)], Bacon (Cured with Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite. May Contain Smoke Flavoring, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Ascorbate). Contains: Milk

I would say A bunch of those things, plus the 23% Fat.

Bear

The milk fat has me thinking... I have learned on SMF of using NFDM in my sausage for moisture retention with success. I then have used powdered coconut milk in Thai brats that were phenomenal. VERY juicy! Now I am thinking of making a batch with powdered coffee creamer. Undoubtedly this works for beef as well as sausage.

Anything here stick out to you that says it would make it juicy?
How 'bout almost all of it . I've had them , and have to say I like them . Now I know why they are so juicy .
I've used both STPP ( phosphate ) and sodium Erythorbate . The phosphate holds the moisture in the meat , and does not let it out .

Try this recipe, makes amazing burgers everytime:

1.5 pounds ground beef (prefer 80/20)
1 cup shredded cheese (Use your favorite cheese, avoid pre-shredded because it has added starch)
4 slices bacon, minced (Use your favorite bacon)
1/2 cup minced onion, (Make sure its finely minced so it mixes well into the meat patties, can use any type)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce or Soy Sauce
1 tsp seasoning blend per pound of meat (This means you use 2 teaspoons for this recipe)
*For the seasoning blend, you can do a mix of onion, garlic, pepper, salt, sugar, etc. I actually prefer the Weber burger seasoning*
1. Prep ingredients.
2. Mix all ingredients together. I like using a burger press to get uniform patties, making 1/2 pound patties.
3. Grill, flipping only once, on medium high heat, until about 140 degrees (Fahrenheit). Flip once, approximately 6-7 minutes in (assuming 1/2 pound patties, which are about 1.5 inches thick). Add your favorite sliced cheese after flipping, I go for white-american almost every time.
4. Butter your favorite roll or bun and grill or broil until golden brown. Add your favorite condiments and veggies.
*I like a crap-ton of pickles, shredded lettuce, grey poupon, ketchup and mayo. I also frequently make sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions*
5.When the burger hits 155-160 degrees (Fahrenheit), place them on your buns and chow down.

These burgers always get rave reviews from people that eat them. I always try to make extra so I can freeze some patties as a good standby. Gave some to my lady's mom, and she said she couldn't stop thinking about them for a week.
These are extremely juicy. The key to burgers is getting the temp right, overcooking will cause them to be dry, like a steak. The secret is the cheese and bacon fats keeping these patties juicy throughout the cook.

Here's a pic of the mess I made once:
nNzzjes.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Used .5% phosphate on some last night and really liked the results. Normally we use chuck but this time just regular ground beef. Just sprinkled it on, mixed a bit, and formed patties. Wife likes really thin ones and I normally lose 1 or 2 to breakage but NOT this time! Lot less shrinkage too. Liked it enough that I am gonna put some in a shaker.

Used .5% phosphate on some last night and really liked the results. Normally we use chuck but this time just regular ground beef. Just sprinkled it on, mixed a bit, and formed patties. Wife likes really thin ones and I normally lose 1 or 2 to breakage but NOT this time! Lot less shrinkage too. Liked it enough that I am gonna put some in a shaker.
I was wondering about that . Didn't know if added water or not . I just used it in some sausage , hot dogs and hot pork sausage . I used .3% and added the water to the mix . Night and day difference . Beef might need the .5% . Gonna try it .

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky