Honey Loin Hams

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was still getting the package of goodies to take to my brother in repayment of the beef he brought me. They had whole pork loins on sale and I snagged a couple. I cut the large pieces of the end for Honey Loin Hams, the centre pieces for back (Canadian) bacon and saved the tips for future sausage. This post is how I did the hams. The next will be the back bacon.

Here is one of the loins.

I cut the large end pieces of each, put them in a stainless steel pot, covered them with water and weighed the pork and water. It came in at just under 5 kg.

For each kilogram of weight of water and pork, I added the following to the water:
  • 3 grams Prague Powder #1
  • 40 ml brown sugar
  • 40 ml honey
  • 15 ml kosher salt
If you are metrically challenged that works out to the following amounts per pound of water and pork.
  • 0.048 ounce Prague Powder #1
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon honey
  • 1 1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
For each kilogram (2 pounds) of the pork, I put 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the brine and 25 ml (2 tablespoons) of honey in a container and mix them. Using a meat injector, inject this mixture into each piece of pork about every inch. My two pieces weighed just under 2 kilograms so I used 100 ml (1/2 cup) of brine and 50 ml (1/4 cup) honey for my injection.

I put the pork back in the mixed brine with a plate on top and cured it for twelve days. I go by 4 times the thickest part in inches plus 2. The thickest part was 2 1/2 inches so 12 days. I turned the meat every day or two.

After the twelve days, I took the pork out of the brine, rinsed it well under running water and soaked it in cold water for 40 minutes, changing the water once. Then I put it on a rack in the fridge uncovered overnight.

I tied each piece about every 2 inches to get a better shape.

I put them in the pellet smoker with hickory pellets in my A-Maze-N Tube Smoker and the pellet smoker not turned on. I cold smoked them for about 6 to 7 hours until the tube smoker burnt out. I put the hams in the fridge over night.

I fired the pellet smoker up to 200 F  with hickory pellets and smoked the hams to an internal temperature of 150 F. 

I let the hams sit in the fridge every night. I cut each ham in half for smaller portion control. The fact I wanted to taste them was quality control and not my desire to have a taste.

The Verdict

I love these little hams. They are way leaner than a regular ham which helps my girth control. There is no doubt the lean meat isn't as juicy as a big ham shank but it isn't bad and it makes great sandwiches and breakfast steaks.

I have made these hams with maple syrup and they were tasty but the honey gives a much smoother more in the background taste that I believe is superior.

Disco

Disco, you are banned!!

There is no way any of us can keep up with your amazing recipes!!!

With that saiid keep posting!we will all be reading!

Points!

Disco, you are banned!!

There is no way any of us can keep up with your amazing recipes!!!

With that saiid keep posting!we will all be reading!

Points!
Now cut that out! I wish I was near the smoker you and others are. I just keep trying to learn from you and the other top smokers. That being said, thanks for the point and kind words.

Awesome work Disco, I am storing this one for the future, I love ham and this is a great way to make it.

Thanks!

That is very nice of you, Red. This stuff is very tasty but not quite like a nice fatty ham shank. That being said, it is one of the best sandwich hams and makes a nice breakfast steak.

Those look  fantastic Disco!

Nice job!

Point!

Al
Thanks for the point, Al!

Oh Yeah---I could devour a couple Sammies of that without remorse!!!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Looks Mighty Tasty, Disco!!
drool.gif

Nice Job!
icon14.gif

Bear

Wow. They look awesomeness Disco. Well done.

I agree with Case.

Nice, Disco. REAL NICE!!

I'm pretty sure I'm related to you too--I'll PM you my mailing address.

Even if they're not as juicy as a big ham, they'll make excellant breakfasts and sammies.

Just out of curiosity, what that in the bottom of the pot--kinda looks like a cinnamon stick.

POINTS!!!!!

Gary

Disco They look great!!  Sorry for being late to the party,busy working on the house. Points for sure

Richie

I could have sworn I rfeplied to this.

But, either way, those look great sir!  I'm certain that your brother will love receiving them!
Har! In my family if you want to be appreciated, bring food! That also explains my significant girth.

Pretty color my friend! Great job.......
Thanks, Kevin! 
Nice, Disco. REAL NICE!!

I'm pretty sure I'm related to you too--I'll PM you my mailing address.

Even if they're not as juicy as a big ham, they'll make excellant breakfasts and sammies.

Just out of curiosity, what that in the bottom of the pot--kinda looks like a cinnamon stick.

POINTS!!!!!

Gary
Har, Gary! Thanks for the points. I'll accept that we're in the Canadian smoker family!

The thing in the bottom of the pot was my wooden spoon. No cinnamon.

Thanks for the point!

Disco They look great!!  Sorry for being late to the party,busy working on the house. Points for sure

Richie
Thanks, Richie! I know about being busy. I am just back from Thanksgiving with my brother and niece. They spoiled me rotten but it is my third trip away in 3 weeks. I am finding it hard to fit in my smoking! I appreciate the point.
Always love ur original posts disco,looks fantastic!points
You are too kind, Sir! Thanks for the point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky