Honey "Fried" Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I haven't posted for a while due to my smoker catching fire several times. I have ordered a new smoker but it was back ordered and I won't get it until next week. I have gone 5 weeks without a large smoker. I have done some small smokes in my mini but it takes a bit longer to get up and running. During this time there was a loss in the family and my brother and his wife were in a bad accident. I just didn't have time to fire up the mini.

However, one must eat. I decided I could do an indirect cook on the Weber Genesis of one of my favourite chicken recipes enhanced by a honey drizzle.

I started by making a brine:

• 750 ml (3 cups) water
  • 25 ml (2 tablespoons) Sriracha (you can substitute 15 ml hot pepper sauce).
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sugar
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) salt
Put 500 grams (1 pound) of chicken thighs in the brine and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.

Honey Fried Chicken 01.jpg

I made a flour dredge by mixing:

• 175 ml (3/4 cup) flour
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) your favourite barbecue rub (see Basic Barbecue Rub if you want to make your own).
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) onion powder
Put the dredge in a low sided pan or casserole.

Take the thighs from the brine and put them on a plate. Don’t dry them or try and shake the excess liquid off. You want them damp.

One at a time, put a piece of chicken in the dredge with one hand. With the other hand, shovel the dredge over the thigh. Lift it out and put it on a rack. Repeat with each piece of chicken.

I used my gas grill with indirect heat preheated to 400 F. Of course, this could be done in a 400 F smoker or even an oven. Trust me, a smoker is best.

Cook for 30 to 40 minutes. The reason for the differing cooking times depends on the device you are using to cook. Some ovens and smokers have a lot of air movement that cook faster. Start checking at 30 minutes. You are looking for the flour to be set and starting to brown.

Brush the chicken with 25 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil. Do NOT turn the chicken.

Honey Fried Chicken 03.jpg

Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the internal temperature is 180 F and the chicken is crisp and brown.

Take the chicken inside and drizzle 25 ml of honey over the chicken.

Honey Fried Chicken 04.jpg

Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and serve.

Honey Fried Chicken 05.jpg

Honey Fried Chicken 06.jpg

The Verdict

This makes a moist chicken with crisp skin and a great sweet hit. I love it!

Disco

Attachments

• Honey Fried Chicken 02.jpg
    Honey Fried Chicken 02.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 13
Look lookin chicken.

Your pellet smoker caught fire?

Sorry for your loss and them being in a wreak. Sounds like a bad week.

Chicken looks really good Disco, they say bad things happen in threes - so you should be in the clear for a while.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the family member and your brother and sister in laws accident. Keep your mind busy by firing up that new grill.

Point for sure
Chris

Look lookin chicken.

Your pellet smoker caught fire?

Sorry for your loss and them being in a wreak. Sounds like a bad week.
It has been a bad month. The pellet smoker caught on fire 4 times over all. Help from Louisiana Grills was unsuccessful and I am just not willing to risk a fire to my home or surroundings. The rest of the month has been rough too but things are looking better!

Chicken looks really good Disco, they say bad things happen in threes - so you should be in the clear for a while.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the family member and your brother and sister in laws accident. Keep your mind busy by firing up that new grill.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks, Chris. It has been an interesting month but I am looking forward to getting the new rig!

It has been a bad month. The pellet smoker caught on fire 4 times over all. Help from Louisiana Grills was unsuccessful and I am just not willing to risk a fire to my home or surroundings. The rest of the month has been rough too but things are looking better!

Sucks when a company has no customer service. I dont blame you, gotta stay safe.

That looks excellent, and sorry for the mishaps in the family.
What outfit are you waiting for them to deliver?

Man I hate to hear about the pellet cooker. You sure nailed that chicken though. Very nice. I'm gonna show this to the wife. It looks good.

Sorry to hear of such Troubles. The Chicken looks great. Been meaning to try Oven Frying as I need to make 24 pieces at a time and no pot big enough to deep fry. Not to mention, time consuming using a CI Skillet.
What caught fire on the smoker? I have heard horror stories of Back Burn from the pot down the feed tube to the hopper...JJ

Disco sorry to hear of all the problems stay strong.The Chicken looks great another great post.Points
Richie

Sucks when a company has no customer service. I dont blame you, gotta stay safe.

To be fair, Louisiana Grills did offer several fixes but none of them worked. I assume if I made enough changes the problem would have been solved, I just wasn't ready to take the risk.

That looks really good!
Thanks for sharing

Thanks! I love real fried chicken but a higher power has pointed out I make a mess when I cook it and it is not good for me. This is a close approximation!

That looks excellent, and sorry for the mishaps in the family.
What outfit are you waiting for them to deliver?

I am getting a Traeger Timberline 850. Look for a build post and a temperature check post.

Looks real good David, the last pic is money.

RIP
Heal quick
Hope the new smoker rocks

Thanks, Chile. It has been a rough month but things are stabilizing.

Man I hate to hear about the pellet cooker. You sure nailed that chicken though. Very nice. I'm gonna show this to the wife. It looks good.

Yeah, being without a rig sucks. Thanks for the kind words on the chicken!

Sorry to hear of such Troubles. The Chicken looks great. Been meaning to try Oven Frying as I need to make 24 pieces at a time and no pot big enough to deep fry. Not to mention, time consuming using a CI Skillet.
What caught fire on the smoker? I have heard horror stories of Back Burn from the pot down the feed tube to the hopper...JJ

It was a back burn down the tube feed. It was quite exciting when it happened, in a bad way. Fortunately, I had some fire training in the navy.

The chicken turns out very well with a crisp skin but it isn't an exact copy of fried chicken. Give it a try!

Disco sorry to hear of all the problems stay strong.The Chicken looks great another great post.Points
Richie

Thanks, Richie. I appreciate the kind thoughts and the point.

chicken looks great, hope things turn around for you, you definitely had a bad month. nothing like some smoked/grilled foods to lift ones spirits.

chicken looks great, hope things turn around for you, you definitely had a bad month. nothing like some smoked/grilled foods to lift ones spirits.
Thanks so much. I agree. I have about 15 pounds of bacon starting to cure in anticipation of getting the smoker next week. It will be nice to get back on the horse.

Chicken looks great David!!
Sorry to hear you're having a rough time.
Keep smiling and that new pellet pooper will be making you look like you know what you're doing in no time!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky