Honey Crisp Pie ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
The local store had large fantastic looking honey crisps this weekend. I REALLY LIKE honey crisp bread puddings. Of course I thought I made those up. That is posted here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/236249/fresh-apple-bread-pudding-with-caramel-sauce-foamheart

IMG_8636.JPG

Or there was the delicious Apple Fritters!

IMG_1284.JPG

BUT being the first beautiful weekend (even with all the debris and trash in the yard!) I went old school.

Apple Pie!!

IMG_0571.JPG

Recipe you say? Seriously try this recipe and you'll never do another pie any other way! BTW, The recipes are copied from my own cookbook! Ain't that neat!

Apple Pie ***
0927_115346114.jpg
Best apple pie ever!
Yield: 6 or 8 slices
Prep Time: 30 mins.
Cook Time: 1 hour + 90 mins cooling (bare min.)
Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:
5large honey crisp apples (thinly sliced)
1 1/2 tspscinnamon
1 stickunsalted butter
3 tbsall-purpose flour
1/4 cupwater
1 cupgranulated sugar
1egg for egg wash
Directions:
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour then simmer for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in 1/4 cup water, 1 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue simmering 3 minutes, whisking frequently then remove from heat.

Peel, core and thinly slice approx 5 cups of apples and place them in a large bowl. Sprinkle the top with 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and toss to combine. Pour the sauce over the apples and stir to coat the apple slices. Note raisins, cranraisins, and/or pecans are very good adders.

Sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll out bottom pie crust to a 12" diameter circle. Wrap it around your rolling pin to transfer it to the 9" pie plate. Add apple mixture, mounding slightly in the center and being careful not to get the filling on the edges which would make it difficult to seal.

Roll second crust into an 11" round and cut into 10 even thickness strips using a pizza cutter. Arrange strips in a woven lattice pattern over the top (see video tutorial). Beat together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water and brush the top with egg mixture.

Bake at 425˚F for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350˚F and continue baking another 45 minutes or until apples are soft and filling is bubbling through the vents. Rest at room temp at least 1 hour before serving (over night is better).

Crust?? Light flaky buttery delicious! Of course its easy!

Pie Crust (Kevin)
Serves: 2
Flaky! Buttery! Tender!
Yield: Two crusts
Prep Time: 20 mins.
Cook Time: 2 hours at 375
Total Time: 2 hours 35 minutes

Ingredients:
1/3 cupbutter unsalted
1/3 cupCold lard
1 tablespoonsugar (if not a savory pie)
1 pinchsalt
2 cupsUnbleached flour
7 tablespoonsIce Cold water Approx.
1/4 teaspoonbaking powder
2 capsApple Cider vinegar
Directions:
Refridgerate all items and ingrediants for 30 mins before starting. Sift dry ingrediants into bowl, cut lard and butter into 1/2 " pieces and add to flour w/ baking soda. With a pastry blender, knives, fork or fingers cut into flour.

Add approx 7 Tablespoons ice water w/ vinegar and gently turn in, now comes the experience. Add more if needed. LOL Until its possible for it to bind. Don't add too much or over mix. Put in plastic wrap, Refrigerate for 1/2 hour min. to hydrate, a day or two is better.

Don't forget the eggwash before placing in the oven.

Try it you'll love it, and you might even enjoy making it.

Last edited:
Now I see how you really roll. You are a Baker / Smoker
Just beautiful, I love apples any way they can be cooked.
And like I said just beautiful.

My dwarf trees are ready to be picked , so I see some pies coming soon, and crisps, and more Jam, etc etc

David

Man those all look to die for!!!! We always thought Honeycrisp and Pink Lady were the greatest apples. Bread pudding was always a big favorite of mine.

Yeeeehaaa!!!
I don't think that's even legal---Too Tasty!!
Looks Awesome, Foamy!
Like.

Bear

With a pastry blender, knives, fork or fingers cut into flour.
I can still see my grandmother and great grandmother doing this to make biscuits, cakes, pies, etc. There was no other way for them. What great memories you've brought to the front for me.

The bread pudding, pie, and fritters all look fantastic...

Honeycrisp makes the best pie. I have a honeycrisp tree but have to share with the deer.

That looks excellent, reminds me of my gma 's apple pie. I wish i would have played more attention when she was making them.

Man those all look to die for!!!! We always thought Honeycrisp and Pink Lady were the greatest apples. Bread pudding was always a big favorite of mine.

Thanks, oh yeah and that caramel sauce topping is the bees knees.

Perfectly done to my liking! Nice job as always!

Ryan

Thank you, I don't remember ever turning pie down, even the second and third slice....LOL

That's some fine looking baked goods, thanks for sharing recipes

Thank you, Those are some totally awesome recipes. My neice's daughter asked my sister for an apple pie for her birthday (her favorite), my Sister called and asked for the recipe. LOL

Now I see how you really roll. You are a Baker / Smoker
Just beautiful, I love apples any way they can be cooked.
And like I said just beautiful.

My dwarf trees are ready to be picked , so I see some pies coming soon, and crisps, and more Jam, etc etc

David

Thanks, Kewl you'll have plenty to do all kinds of good stuff with. I make apple freezer jelly, sometimes I add a little caramel extract to it and folks really like caramel apple jelly. Makes a good PB & J sandwich!

Fantastic .

Thank you.

Thank you.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
And being that I liked your Goldies Irish cream recipe so much... don't forget about the apple pie for the chewing impaired! In it's liquid form!

Ryan

Reactions: foamheart
Honeycrisp makes the best pie. I have a honeycrisp tree but have to share with the deer.

I complain alot about animals and birds in the garden, I wish they would learn to eat some of the produce that isn't the biggest and nicest. LOL But I just try and plant more next year to share. You'll never win at it though.

Thank you, Thats a really good and easy bread pudding recipe.

Kevin, Thanks for sharing your recipes !

You are most welcome my friend.

Yeeeehaaa!!!
I don't think that's even legal---Too Tasty!!
Looks Awesome, Foamy!
Like.

Bear

Thank you Bear, I think its about time for some rassberry fluff, don't you??

I can still see my grandmother and great grandmother doing this to make biscuits, cakes, pies, etc. There was no other way for them. What great memories you've brought to the front for me.
The bread pudding, pie, and fritters all look fantastic...

Thank you. Memories are are wonderful things. I'm glad it bought you some good ones.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky