Holding a smoked to 115º Tri-Tip for 2-3 before reverse searing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Running into a situation where I'm being requested to prepare a Tri-Tip for a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's house. The issue is travel time, etc.. which will end up having the Tri-Tip sit (obviously well wrapped in a cooler) for approximately 2-3 hours before it gets placed on her grill to reverse sear it.

Anybody see a problem with this plan that I should be aware of?

Matt

You really need to hold meat at temps above 140°f, or below 40°f.

Option 1- smoke them the night before, get them into the fridge and transport cold. Then Reverse sear them when you get there.

Option 2- cook them all the way, reverse sear and all. Cool, then into foil pans. Reheat in foil pans with some of Chef JJ's Smokey AU Jus.

I used method 2 when I had to cook 40 pounds of tri tip for my inlaws 50th. Worked great.

Both good options from Dirtsailor.

Another option is if it doesn’t have to be smoked...Throw the TT in a marinade and cook it hot and fast when you get to your daughter’s house.

Looks like dirtsailor and Joe got you covered. Hot and fast on your daughters grill might be your best bet for the best results but if you are wanting the smoke then option 2 from dirtsailor should get you there!

Appreciate the help folks. I also think the best approach is to grill them from scratch at the daughters.

How about this option....Doing Exactly What You Planned!
Here is why.
You take an Intact Tri-Tip.
You Seasoning with a Salty Rub.
You Hot Smoke it to 115. The Interior is 115 but the Outer 1/2"+, is 225°F.
All active bacteria are long Dead.
You seal in Foil and a Cooler. NO CHANCE of recontamination.
You drive 3 hours.
What about Clostridium Botulinum Spores? They need 250 to kill.
Not likely but, on some Remote Chance, Spores activate, the Toxin is Denatured, becomes harmless at 185°F. Since you are Searing at 700°F, this too is no issue.
There is just no risk here...JJ

Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky