High power AC controller for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I am in the planning stage to build a high powered AC PID smoker controller (Up to 50 kW). I have the controller designed and my pre-production prototype worked as expected.

My questions to the forum are thus:

Is there any need for this type of controller outside of a commercial market?

Is this worth developing?

Thanks for any insight.

JC :emoji_cat:

Steve H

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
50KW? I couldn't imagine anyone outside of commercial use for something this size. I wouldn't want to pay for the juice to run it!

Reactions: JC in GB

bill1

Master of the Pit
Apr 25, 2015
Where high power comes in handy is in initially heating up a rig or in bringing cold meat up to a normal temp for absorbing smoke. If you're putting 200# of frozen meat into a 500# cold steel smoker, I'm not sure having 50kW (200A at 240V) at hand is wasted. But that is commercial-level power and cooking...most home service panels have less than 200A total. Unless you own an electric car!

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I have gotten some progress done on this project. I have the SCR module on order and will be assembling the firing control circuit when it arrives. This switch will control quite a bit of AC current. With a small modification, I could also run it as a DC output. SCR is rated at 1600VAC 160 Amps. I will wire it and use it as a triac. That will control a lot of power.

JC :emoji_cat:

Hot Threads