Black Cat MK 2 PID controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. After much delay I have finally gotten my prototype Black Cat MK 2 PID controller.

How is this different from the MK 1 you may ask?

1) Beefier Triac (600 volt 40 Amp device)
2) Control off switch - (Turns controller off when you may need to open the smoker and don't need power drive to the fan or element.)
3) Dual display controller. You can see set point and actual temp at the same time.

Black Cat MK 2 front.jpg

JC :emoji_cat:

Good day all. After much delay I have finally gotten my prototype Black Cat MK 2 PID controller.

How is this different from the MK 1 you may ask?

1) Beefier Triac (600 volt 40 Amp device)
2) Control off switch - (Turns controller off when you may need to open the smoker and don't need power drive to the fan or element.)
3) Dual display controller. You can see set point and actual temp at the same time.

View attachment 649199

Its lookin good! I think I recently mentioned to a guy in another thread you were getting back into PIDs.

I'll point folks in your direction in addition to Auber when they ask about em. Anything easier to use than an Auber at a good price that works well is a great thing :)

Prototype unit assembled and tested. All working as expected. This unit will also run on 220 VAC if necessary.

I have a limited quantity of enclosures for this build. I will build these units for forum members that are looking for an upgrade, replacement, or control unit for a personal build.

I am not a company just an enthusiast who didn't want to pay top dollar for a controller that I could not repair. I also want to help folks who want to up their game in meat smoking/processing.

My controllers are also customizable. You need a DC output to run a fan instead of a heater? You need your controller to operate in sub-freezing conditions? You don't like the standard button thermocouple? No worries. Let me know your requirements for your project and I will let you know if I can accommodate your needs.

Last edited:
Its lookin good! I think I recently mentioned to a guy in another thread you were getting back into PIDs.

I'll point folks in your direction in addition to Auber when they ask about em. Anything easier to use than an Auber at a good price that works well is a great thing :)

Thanks. I hope these can be of use to forum members who want reliable basic function without having to pony up a ton of cash to break in.

My original prototypes are still working after 3 years of use. Only failure was a thermocouple that I crunched. >_<

JC in GB JC in GB I'll keep you in mind when the controller on the SmokeTronix finally kicks the bucket. I really like how clean you build these units.

Stu

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky