High power AC controller for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I am in the planning stage to build a high powered AC PID smoker controller (Up to 50 kW). I have the controller designed and my pre-production prototype worked as expected.

My questions to the forum are thus:

Is there any need for this type of controller outside of a commercial market?

Is this worth developing?

Thanks for any insight.

JC :emoji_cat:

50KW? I couldn't imagine anyone outside of commercial use for something this size. I wouldn't want to pay for the juice to run it!

Reactions: JC in GB
Where high power comes in handy is in initially heating up a rig or in bringing cold meat up to a normal temp for absorbing smoke. If you're putting 200# of frozen meat into a 500# cold steel smoker, I'm not sure having 50kW (200A at 240V) at hand is wasted. But that is commercial-level power and cooking...most home service panels have less than 200A total. Unless you own an electric car!

I have gotten some progress done on this project. I have the SCR module on order and will be assembling the firing control circuit when it arrives. This switch will control quite a bit of AC current. With a small modification, I could also run it as a DC output. SCR is rated at 1600VAC 160 Amps. I will wire it and use it as a triac. That will control a lot of power.

JC :emoji_cat:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky