Hickory bacon wrapped shrimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
Sorry for the lack of pics, this was a last minute throw together meal. I had a pack of shrimp I forgot about, so Sunday am I placed them in some water to thaw. Was slicing a big batch of hickory bacon I have sold so I decided to thin slice a few pieces, and skewer-grill some skrimps! We had roasted cauliflower with cumin and fried capers (friends recipe and was fantastic) along with these beauties....

8A256C40-0B4A-4E03-AB87-937AE5262797.jpeg
The hickory I sliced up and used for wrapping. I took 1/2 sizes slices for the shrimp so the slices went a little further.

8661B799-FB38-4D99-8C40-B865BF84953E.jpeg
I peeled and de-veined the shrimp, then rubbed olive oil and blackened seasoning liberally on them, in a bowl. Then I took the 1/2 slices of hickory and tightly wrapped and skewered the shrimp so that the tail, and the head were skewered. This helps keep the bacon in place and the shrimp from moving around.
E92A0B5A-F058-4D66-907A-A2BFB8A59C41.jpeg
You can’t see it but there is TBS coming from the Weber AND the Lang. Gotta love it!
C70BFD05-37D3-4EBA-AFCB-DF3A3AB6B25B.jpeg
The shrimp were starting to come along and the bacon is cooking up nicely as well.
FC019733-034F-4982-9814-C35E34B82F54.jpeg
And here they are. We never even got plated pics, they were gone in no time! The bacon was so nice and crispy, it formed the perfect crust around the shrimp. You could even bite them in half and the bacon wouldn’t come apart. I have to say these were the best bacon wrapped shrimp I’ve ever had. Didn’t even need any dipping sauce!!

Sorry for the lack of pics, this was a last minute throw together meal. I had a pack of shrimp I forgot about, so Sunday am I placed them in some water to thaw. Was slicing a big batch of hickory bacon I have sold so I decided to thin slice a few pieces, and skewer-grill some skrimps! We had roasted cauliflower with cumin and fried capers (friends recipe and was fantastic) along with these beauties....

View attachment 373662
The hickory I sliced up and used for wrapping. I took 1/2 sizes slices for the shrimp so the slices went a little further.

View attachment 373663
I peeled and de-veined the shrimp, then rubbed olive oil and blackened seasoning liberally on them, in a bowl. Then I took the 1/2 slices of hickory and tightly wrapped and skewered the shrimp so that the tail, and the head were skewered. This helps keep the bacon in place and the shrimp from moving around.
View attachment 373664
You can’t see it but there is TBS coming from the Weber AND the Lang. Gotta love it!
View attachment 373665
The shrimp were starting to come along and the bacon is cooking up nicely as well.
View attachment 373666
And here they are. We never even got plated pics, they were gone in no time! The bacon was so nice and crispy, it formed the perfect crust around the shrimp. You could even bite them in half and the bacon wouldn’t come apart. I have to say these were the best bacon wrapped shrimp I’ve ever had. Didn’t even need any d

Before and after pics of bacon look perfect. Any ideas on time and temp? May try with some store bought bacon.

Mmm love grilled shrimp lookin good
Thanks they were great, weev!

My heart is broken. I didn't get an invite. Looking good!!
Sorry Kruizer, next time I promise!

Looks Mighty Tasty from where I sit !!:)
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, I ate the last three or four, cold. Still good.

Definitely a thumbs up. That looks awesome.

George
Thanks George, I’ve got to restock my shrimp, were definitely going to do this again.

Saint that shrimp looks great. I would have been worried about overcooking the shrimp before the bacon was done. Sounds like it's a non-issue.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: 73saint
Before and after pics of bacon look perfect. Any ideas on time and temp? May try with some store bought bacon.
Thanks Matt! Going by the therm on my Weber, I would let it get to 350 for about 3-5 minutes, then I would uncover, turn and let it sit uncovered until the coals would get very hot (not quite flairing up), then cover and repeat. All in all it took about 40 minutes, with little more than 1/2 a chimney of coal.
Definitely a thumbs up. That looks awesome.

George
Thanks George!

Saint that shrimp looks great. I would have been worried about overcooking the shrimp before the bacon was done. Sounds like it's a non-issue.

Point for sure.

Chris
They were big enough, otherwise they definitely would have dried out.

Might try this, but to partially cook the bacon in the microwave first. We always use thick sliced bacon, and it takes a while to cook.
Shrimp is fragile, and will over cook in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky