Hi Smokers!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamadoug

Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I am new here to enjoy the wisdom of you experienced "Smokers".  Hmm.. you may want to correct me on this.  How do I distinguish between people who smoke things "Smokers" and the instrument they use to smoke things "smokers"? :-)

Hi, you may have guessed that I am from Alabama.  I'm not experienced with smoking but have done some grilling.  I don't really have a smoker, just a charcoal grill with a smoker box attached.  I came to this site because I committed to smoking some ribs and chicken for a home event and didn't know what I was doing.  I was looking for some good advice on how long and what temp to smoke the meat.  

This site is loaded with advice, unfortunately, I didn't follow it well and the ribs were overcooked.  The chicken was cooked OK because I noticed the inside meat temp got to 165 pretty fast, so I removed the chicken after about 3 hours.  I was surprised that it reached that temp so fast with my smoke averaging in the 210 range.  I guess one out of two is OK for a first time, but I am hoping for better soon.

Thanks, Jeff, for the welcome message and thanks to all you who post informative information here.

:welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you joined us! We have over 50,000 members now who just love to share what they know. You've come to the best place on the net to learn and share everything Q!!!

texas.gif
Hello, and Welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of good information and great people.

Gary

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us! We have a group for Alabama Members...would love for you to join us!  We are hoping to plan a "get together" soon!

We love to see pictures of what you are cooking (or what we call q-views here at SMF).  To "upload the q-views" just follow the directions here and it will be easier. If you are using a cell phone, an IPad or a kindle, go to the main SMF page and click the Mobile button. Will make the uploads a bit faster too.

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums and some guidelines of how to interact within the forums. Off site links are not allowed here at SMF per Jeff. Not that you have done anything wrong....just a little bit of FYI for new members!

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Last edited:
Hey Doug, welcome to the best site on the web when it comes to learning the art of smoking and BBQ.

Now in answer to your question, you smoke on a smoker and the person that uses the smoker is called the Pitmaster.

Now if you want to do some good 'que, you need a couple of things-a good accurate themometer on your smoker-most of the themos that come stock are junk and can be off as much as +-50°. Probably why your chicken came out great and the ribs were over done.

Second is a good digital themometer for your meat. Some even have two probes for monitoring temps-one is used for the chamber temps and the other is used for food temps.

As always,
Enjoy the Smoke!

Welcome aboard, Doug!  You've found the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly, knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky