Hi Everyone!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokemonkey

Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
Hi, my name is JP and I live in central Massachusetts and I used a smoker for the first time the day before yesterday. I recently bought an inexpensive Brinkman vertical water smoker and I smoked a bunch of chicken legs and pork chops with mesquite chunks on top of hard wood coals.

The brine for the chicken and pork was just a simple water, sugar, salt with a bayleaf and cracked black pepper. I put beer, water, a half cup of dried minced onions and black pepper in the water tray of the smoker. Some of the legs and chops I used a rub, some coated with open pit bbq sauce and some plain. I wanted to keep things fairly basic on my first try at smoking meat. Before I cooked anything in the unit, I 'seasoned' it by coating the interior with pam and burning in it a coal chimney full of wood coals with some mesquite. The process also helped me start to get a feel for how the smoker breathes and burns. 

I quickly learned that the process requires attention and care with regulating temperature and smoke level. I smoked my chicken and chops for three and half hours and they came out fantastic!!!!!! My neighbors got a little nosey after they caught a whiff- good thing I made plenty- thankfully they brought beer and sides. 

I love to cook and I've been doing it for years and I'm excited about smoking foods!!!

Last edited:
Hi JP! 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! We're happy to have you! Would you do us a favor and add your location to your profile, it helps others to know where you are when they offer advice, Thanks!

Sounds like you are off to a good start! If you want to learn more you might want to take Jeff's Free 5 day E-course, it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more: http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse.html

Sounds like you have some good neighbors if they brought the beer!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky