• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Yoder YS 640 or Rec Tec 700

• Yoder YS640

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Rec Tec 700

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll take a 1970 Eldorado Convertible, Pearl White, Red Interior, over a Lexus any day of the week!

Both Pellet grills cook very well. Back Burn up a feed tube, of a Yoder, that is separated by a few inches AND a Shield? That, HAS to be a one in a million crazy anomaly!

For me, the biggest downside to the Yoder IS they are Painted, rather than Powder Coated. True, you pretty much can't find a YT video of a year+ old Yoder that does not have peeling paint and surface rust. But that goes for ANY smoker that is painted that High Temp Flat Black! I am unable to Refinish any piece of equipment, every year, to keep it pretty. So until I gather Memphis Grill type money, I'll just have to live vicariously through the fine folks at SMF and their Pellet Poopers. Carry on, Gentlemen...JJ

Reactions: texomakid
@chefjimmyj. Love your post.

I'm not sure if you saw the powder coat on my RecTec.

I agree about the Cadillac.

Attachments

• 20180422_171126.jpg
    20180422_171126.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 47
Had a nice fellar show me his rectec last year and it had rust on the lower part, If I remember right he said it was due to high temp cooks, it didn't bother him but he keeps it on his deck with a cover. I haven't seen any rust on my PB other than some on the defuser , nothing lasts forever and most stuff is outdated when you get it lol.

Seems like the Rec Tec rust and paint issues were on the older Bull which had the chamber that was powdercoated along with the lid. the current version and the one I have is all stainless unpainted except the lid which is black. looks like the issue was "corrected" for the newer versions. Sorry for those with the red powdercoating that is coming off.

Looks like anyone shopping for a Rec Tec should not worry about this. - I am not worried. I have done several high temp cooks and the lid is still fine.

thank you texomakid - we do get derailed sometimes...

soonerbeachbum soonerbeachbum the options in your budget are all quite good. I probably for got the obvious too... my apologizes. this is the criteria I looked at in no particular order;
  • warranty
  • cook space
  • overall size
  • wifi connectivity y/n
  • I spent hours on reviews...they are subjective so keep an open mind and come to your own conclusions.
  • customer support
  • some people have issues with aesthetics.
  • Some folks have called the manufacturers to see what they have to say, how they are treated ask questions etc.
  • Between these two - its likely not an issue - the the weight is very different too.
the objective facts about what you are buying and how you will use it.

Best of luck and keep us posted

Last edited:
I can only speak to my experience with my Yoder YS640 since this spring. Mine sits under my covered porch so it doesn’t get direct rain although it is a wet climate. I believe the rust many get under the main door is due to drippings that run down when moving meat in and out that are not wiped off. The unit is very heavy, around 330 pounds if I recall and is very thick built. I am not sure what the rec trc ways, but one could figure out a weight difference for what that is worth... not sure anything.

I did look at where these are made. I watched some videos of Yoder in Kansas and although some of the components are sourced from other countries, they work is done in the US to weld, build, and paint them which was important to me, but again not everyone and I am not saying one way is better. I know Rec Tec has some fantastic customer service in Augusta Georgia but their products are assembled and shipped from China.

As far as performance...no complaints and enjoy it. I am sure the Bull would have been great as well as lots of happy owners and a nice 6 year warranty.

Good luck either way, hope you enjoy whatever you get, don’t think you will go wrong either way!

It is no comparison. :). Want pictures of my rusted out RecTec with the powder coating pealing? I know the new ones are stainless steel but based on the quality of the powder coating, I bet it is cheap stainless. No disrespect to anyone that has one, cause I still do, but it is like comparing a Chevy 3500hd Duramax Diesel to a Nissan Frontier. They are both nice trucks but the Nissan isn't going to last like the Duramax towing a 20k trailer. RecTec wants you to think it is an American product but it comes from China. They both smoke meat so go with what meets your budget. If you can swing it, the Yoder is nicer for sure. Again, this is from someone that has both.

Man, this is one of those rare bad posts about Rec Tec I searched for long and hard when I was researching them. Though this won't of affected me as Rec Tec addressed that with the all stainless models now which is what I have. All that said, I would be pissed also if I was in your situation. But complaining about Rec Tec(which was fair) when (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Yoder ships with a can of spray paint for it. I didn't do a super extension research of Yoder but it was very easy with little to no research that they have rust issues. The Y-640S is about the same size as the Bull and costs a good amount more. I told myself if i"m spending about 2 G's on a grill, it shouldn't rust after about a year. But that's just me.

Rec Tec's customer service is what keeps bringing people in and keeps them happy. I've only had to call a few times but they are second to none customer service. The facebook groups are full of story after story of amazing customer service. To be fair, I do see a lot of folks with the older RT-680 that has to sand them all the way down and repaint them. Doesn't sound like you got the best customer service however any company that gives you the CEO's personal cell number.....speaks for itself.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these smokers but bang for your buck, hands down I would go with Rec Tec. I could not be happier with mine!

Good luck to you!

Reactions: sandyut
Yoder was cheaper for me than Rec Tec Bul when package was considered. Yes, I got a can of paint with it. Haven’t used it as I clean off the drippings on the front. I am in Pacific Northwest so it’s wet.

I actually got worried about not finding any bad reviews on the rec Tec. All accessories and product page have 5 star reviews on everything....I actually worried they scrubbed the reviews.

But it was a close 2nd and sure the Bull would have been good.

Reactions: kstone113
Yoder was cheaper for me than Rec Tec Bul when package was considered. Yes, I got a can of paint with it. Haven’t used it as I clean off the drippings on the front. I am in Pacific Northwest so it’s wet.

I actually got worried about not finding any bad reviews on the rec Tec. All accessories and product page have 5 star reviews on everything....I actually worried they scrubbed the reviews.

But it was a close 2nd and sure the Bull would have been good.

Those Rec Tec packages can add up fast. Since I had decided on Rec Tec, I researched those packages and outside stuff and went with an ala cart way. The pellets is really what makes the price so high. I pay less than 50 cents a lb. for Lumber Jack. The Rec Tec pellets or cookingpellets(unless you are local) are $1 a lb and that gets super pricey! I did get the grates(those work on any grill), non-stick mats, front folding shelf, grill cover(I got this free since my dad and I ordered together - worked that out with Rec Tec CS) and the grill pad. I got two after market shelves from Amazon that was cheaper than the Rec Tec one and are stainless so I can dishwasher them.

When I got my Bull, the Yoder didn't have their wi-fii fireboard PID controller. That made the price go up even further but I'm sure all Yoder fans were happy with that. Seems like a lot of these companies are trying to catch up with Rec Tec's controller. ie - Yoder just upgraded this year and so did Traeger.

If you are still in full research mode, one other suggestion is to join(this assumes you have facebook) Rec Tec fb groups and Yoder ones. You will be able to find out a TON of info there and you can search those groups which is really nice. I don't post a lot on the fb groups but use them for research on what others have said about xyz.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky