1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help. Yoder YS640 vs Rec Tec 700

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by soonerbeachbum, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Yoder YS640

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Rec Tec 700

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Howdy everyone I need some help deciding on a pellet smoker. I've been considering purchasing one for awhile now because of the convience of setting and forgetting with a busy schedule. Now I have a newborn and my 4 year old so my time tending my smokers are limited for the next few years so the pellet smoker seems like the perfect solution to my smoking habit. I've been doing a ton of research and for now I've narrowed my decision down to two brands and my price range is roughly $1,800.00 at the max.

With all that being said I love the Yoder products and durability and the Rec Tec for the 40 lbs hopper and the (from what I've read) smoke flavor the cooker can create it as close to a pit as any pellet smoker can. If they could create a hybrid of the two I'd be sold! Right now I'm leaning towards the YS 640 because of the heavy gauge steel durability and it's made here in the USA vs being made overseas with smaller (cheaper) materials. I'd love to be able to get as close to my pits as possible so maybe I could purchase an smoking tube or something like that to help. Any thoughts, experiences, or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated. Even some more product suggestions if there are any... Thanks y 'all!

2. texomakid

texomakid Smoking Fanatic

I'm biased since I'm a Yoder 640 guy and in all fairness I've never cooked on the Rec Tec 700. I've owned my Yoder since April 2018 and no issues at all (so far). I love the ability to sear with the sear plates and the addition of the Rotisserie recently really makes this cooker very versatile. I'm guessing you can't go wrong either way you choose.

3. sandyut

sandyut Meat Mopper

not sure if you made a buy yet. I went rec tec RT700 and have no regrets. Love it! wifi controller is super cool, cooks like a champ in all temps too. im in SLC and made a Christmas brisket in cold temps no problem - best one I ever made.