• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Yoder YS 640 or Rec Tec 700

• Yoder YS640

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Rec Tec 700

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

soonerbeachbum

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 1, 2013
Tuttle, Oklahoma
Howdy everyone I need some help deciding on a pellet smoker. I've been considering purchasing one for awhile now because of the convience of setting and forgetting with a busy schedule. Now I have a newborn and my 4 year old so my time tending my smokers are limited for the next few years so the pellet smoker seems like the perfect solution to my smoking habit. I've been doing a ton of research and for now I've narrowed my decision down to two brands and my price range is roughly $1,800.00 at the max.

With all that being said I love the Yoder products and durability and the Rec Tec for the 40 lbs hopper and the (from what I've read) smoke flavor the cooker can create it as close to a pit as any pellet smoker can. If they could create a hybrid of the two I'd be sold! Right now I'm leaning towards the YS 640 because of the heavy gauge steel durability and it's made here in the USA vs being made overseas with smaller (cheaper) materials. I'd love to be able to get as close to my pits as possible so maybe I could purchase an smoking tube or something like that to help. Any thoughts, experiences, or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated. Even some more product suggestions if there are any... Thanks y 'all!

I'm biased since I'm a Yoder 640 guy and in all fairness I've never cooked on the Rec Tec 700. I've owned my Yoder since April 2018 and no issues at all (so far). I love the ability to sear with the sear plates and the addition of the Rotisserie recently really makes this cooker very versatile. I'm guessing you can't go wrong either way you choose.

not sure if you made a buy yet. I went rec tec RT700 and have no regrets. Love it! wifi controller is super cool, cooks like a champ in all temps too. im in SLC and made a Christmas brisket in cold temps no problem - best one I ever made.

I have had a Rectec 640 for three years. My new Yoder YS640s with the Competition Cart just shipped today. I just cant take all the problems I have had with the Rectec. A buddy of mine has had his Yoder since 2015 with 0 problems. I'm on my second wifi controller. (I upgraded), second ignitor and the powder coat is peeling. Rectec sends you Rust-Oleum and tells you to scrape and sand.
Who knows, maybe the Yoder will be terrible but the Rectec and their customer service is not good.

Thank you for the info. I had something come up and had to delay my purchase, but I’m getting ready to make my purchase. I’m still on the fence but I’m leaning more towards the YS 640. The hardest part is not being able to see and feel the Rec Tec before I buy it. I’m more of a hands on type of guy before I purchase something, especially something like this. There is a business about 45 mins from here that sells Yoder products and I’ll probably swing by there and take a look at what they are all about. Thanks again y’all!

It is no comparison. :). Want pictures of my rusted out RecTec with the powder coating pealing? I know the new ones are stainless steel but based on the quality of the powder coating, I bet it is cheap stainless. No disrespect to anyone that has one, cause I still do, but it is like comparing a Chevy 3500hd Duramax Diesel to a Nissan Frontier. They are both nice trucks but the Nissan isn't going to last like the Duramax towing a 20k trailer. RecTec wants you to think it is an American product but it comes from China. They both smoke meat so go with what meets your budget. If you can swing it, the Yoder is nicer for sure. Again, this is from someone that has both.

My No. 1 Reason for going Yoder?
SAFETY!!! Too many feed tube directly connected to fire pot fires out there, including our own Disco and his GMG. Are they uncommon? Yes. Are they common enough to be Paranoid about being away from the smoker for hours at a time? Absolutely!!!
Yoder's pellet feed tube, is separated from the burn pot. Pellets Drop In with ZERO chance of a Back Burn up the Tube and to the Hopper...JJ

Reactions: ofelles
My No. 1 Reason for going Yoder?
SAFETY!!! Too many feed tube directly connected to fire pot fires out there, including our own Disco and his GMG. Are they uncommon? Yes. Are they common enough to be Paranoid about being away from the smoker for hours at a time? Absolutely!!!
Yoder's pellet feed tube, is separated from the burn pot. Pellets Drop In with ZERO chance of a Back Burn up the Tube and to the Hopper...JJ

Yea, I have a good friend with a 9 month old Traeger that they had a back burn a toasted the controller. Had to wait a month for replacement parts.I know the Yoder and Rec Tec is in a different class of pellet grills than Traeger. I like the idea of a center pot directing heat equally around the unit, but it appears that yoder has done a good job with distributing heat. I hope to find out with in the next year.

Yoder's pellet feed tube, is separated from the burn pot. Pellets Drop In with ZERO chance of a Back Burn up the Tube and to the Hopper.

My Memphis also has this design, and pot is center located. A few other brands use the pellet drop method as well.

It is no comparison. :). Want pictures of my rusted out RecTec with the powder coating pealing? I know the new ones are stainless steel but based on the quality of the powder coating, I bet it is cheap stainless. No disrespect to anyone that has one, cause I still do, but it is like comparing a Chevy 3500hd Duramax Diesel to a Nissan Frontier. They are both nice trucks but the Nissan isn't going to last like the Duramax towing a 20k trailer. RecTec wants you to think it is an American product but it comes from China. They both smoke meat so go with what meets your budget. If you can swing it, the Yoder is nicer for sure. Again, this is from someone that has both.

This. There is a MASSIVE difference between Chinese and North American metal. If you don't mind having someone's car door in your smoker, go with the Chinese made product.

Bottom line - you get what you pay for.

Mark

Reactions: ofelles
Not trying to start a thing [I held off posting on this with fear of a riot - but that never happens here ;) ]...but I did read of a Yoder back burning into the pellet bin (he had pics it happened, I saw it - and no i dont have the link or reference/link anymore) when I was researching which pellet grill to buy a year ago. Just sayin it can happen - I dont think there is any smoker out there that cant or wont have an issue or a fire. there are so many factors that can lead to either. it was not a decision maker/breaker for me. It was all the options, differences, and costs that drove my decision.

There will always be outliers in experience, customer service outcome etc. as well. This is true on all products. there are lemon products made by mostly quality companies.

I have the "newer" version of the Rec Tec RT700 which only has the door and power coated black - had it almost a year. I feel I got a very good pellet smoker for the money. I have absolutely no regret or complaints. As do many people on here who are happy Rec Tec owners. I dont have a hang up with where the steel originated so long as it doesn't rust - I dont have rust. Not being unpatriotic or anything. Just being a consumer without an unlimited budget more focused on getting what works for my needs. My experience with the Rec Tec Bull has been excellent to say the least. I did need to reach out to their CS for some questions and they have been insanely responsive and helpful. I would recommend them to anyone hands down.

Just felt there is another side to this conversation that was missing. If you need to thrash me for it - so be it. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: Steff3
Not trying to start a thing [I held off posting on this with fear of a riot - but that never happens here ;) ]...but I did read of a Yoder back burning into the pellet bin (he had pics it happened, I saw it - and no i dont have the link or reference/link anymore) when I was researching which pellet grill to buy a year ago. Just sayin it can happen - I dont think there is any smoker out there that cant or wont have an issue or a fire. there are so many factors that can lead to either. it was not a decision maker/breaker for me. It was all the options, differences, and costs that drove my decision.

There will always be outliers in experience, customer service outcome etc. as well. This is true on all products. there are lemon products made by mostly quality companies.

I have the "newer" version of the Rec Tec RT700 which only has the door and power coated black - had it almost a year. I feel I got a very good pellet smoker for the money. I have absolutely no regret or complaints. As do many people on here who are happy Rec Tec owners. I dont have a hang up with where the steel originated so long as it doesn't rust - I dont have rust. Not being unpatriotic or anything. Just being a consumer without an unlimited budget more focused on getting what works for my needs. My experience with the Rec Tec Bull has been excellent to say the least. I did need to reach out to their CS for some questions and they have been insanely responsive and helpful. I would recommend them to anyone hands down.

Just felt there is another side to this conversation that was missing. If you need to thrash me for it - so be it. :emoji_laughing:

Another Rec Tec owner here.

There has been talk about "rust" in this thread, and "quality of steel", paint flaking and such.

But as you allude to, issues can happen with anything and from anywhere.

Have a look. This smoker is said by the narrator to be 2 years old. It needs paint.

We've also heard talk about "American made".

I submit to you that hardly anything "electronic" in this day and age, is 100% American made down to it's circuit boards, down to the last wire, down to the last washer.

But stating "American made", is a very good marketing tool for some manufacturers of some products. Even if it's not 100% accurate.

Again, have a look. About 47 seconds into the video.

Is "Tamura" an American company?

Somehow, I doubt it. So then what is this likely "foreign", or more specifically Asian part doing in this "American made" product?

And so there is a lot of talk about "American made". Sounds good. Sounds great. But when we really get down to it, electronics, and electronic items, are rarely 100% American made these days.

Finally, we hear "built like a tank" and other euphemisms.

You know, when it comes to electronic equipment, which to some degree is what today's pellet grills are, it is reasonable to expect that at some point in time, in the "near" future, that which is considered "state of the art" today, will be looked at as obsolete up the road. And sometimes, not too far up the road.

As a kid growing up in the 1970s, we had Cadillacs. These 70's era Caddys were built like tanks. Thick steel, and chrome everywhere. Sheet metal which was "heavy gauge" if ever one could use the term. Body's by "Fisher".

Electronically, well there was, "State of the art" 8 track and cassette tape players. AM/FM radios. Built in CB radios, cable controlled cruise control, carbureted engines, shoulder harness restraints. Power elevating and retracting radio antennas.

But this was all the rage.

Now, even though "built like a tank", those cars and others like it, are obsolete. And obsolete from so many standpoints.

From a safety standpoint. From a driver comfort and ergonomic standpoint. From the ease of grip even on the steering wheel standpoint. From a driving in reverse or parking standpoint, (think back up cameras and back up sensors). From virtually any standard we consider "normal" today.

But it was built like a tank. It was American made. And still probably running today. But from an electronics standpoint, it's obsolete. Well beyond obsolete. But built like a tank.

Likewise, I know that my pellet grill will reach a state, and likely soon, of obsolescence.

Today, PID controllers, are the rage. Tomorrow, as the market drives improvement, something better than it will likely come along.

When it does, then I will likely want it. But if I've spent 2 grand on an obsolete "tank", well then how ready am I going to be to "replace it", with something which is more technologically advanced than it is?

Last edited:
Reactions: sandyut
A Google search of Yoder rust will bring up countless threads and pics if rust is a concern...

20180422_171126.jpg

The picture I posted is of my RecTec. They told me to cut away the powder coating the best I can and sand it. Then use the Rust-Oleum they sent me. The metal on my RecTec is way thinner than the metal on my Yoder.

Last edited:
I've got a Yoder and have owned it for about 1 1/2 years. There's a little rust on it in a few spots (and it's overall a bit dirty - could use a good cleaning) but it's a cooker that does see outside elements. I don't promote any particular cooker nor will I condone one unless that's my experience. With that being said, it is MY OPINION the rust I have encountered is NOT a major issue. There are variations in temps from end to end of the YS640 but it has a dampener that can help manage it some what but with any cooker I've owned I've had to manage temp variations to some degree. Very easy to manage. When you use a cooker as much as I've have up to this point it has acquired some "patina" (I've been through around 1000# of pellets in 1 1/2 years.) It does not have any wifi capabilities built into this model and that's something I didn't want or need. I can tell you what it does is nothing short of pellet cooker magic. I "assume" there are many other brands and models that will do the same and maybe better.

If you're concerned about aesthetic then I can't be of any help. My concern is dependability, durability, & end product. I could not be more please with my YS640 (up to this point - the thing may blow up later today when I fire it up!)

Are you going to see some rust if you buy a Yoder? Based on my experience it's likely that you will. If I remember correctly I got a small can of black touchup paint with the cooker when I purchased it? From what I'm seeing the rust might become an issue in 15 or 20 years? I hope I make it that long.......:emoji_wink:

I just don't see the rust as a "deal killer" or at least it's not for me.

Edit - If I could change anything I would have purchased the stainless shelves vs the chrome racks. Unfortunately that drives the price up even more for the standard model like mine (I don't have the competition cart.)
This smoking thing is a sickness!

Last edited:
Reactions: sandyut
well said texomakid. I think its more about looking for the right option and price balance with the budget. I wanted and love the wifi controller. Accessories/upgrades run up the upfront costs a lot (or can). But I also feel about my RT700 like you do about your Yoder. cooks great meat. that was the goal here and we succeeded. I am sure there will be a different brand and model one day in my future, I am too young to believe anything I buy will out live me...or at least I hope so!

Reactions: texomakid
S SlowmotionQue . You are 100% right. It can happen to any brand. Yoder says you may get some surface rust when you buy it. It happens. The powder coating makes it that much harder to fix than on a Yoder. That was the annoying part. RecTec acted like it was no big deal. Maybe a sorry, here is an accessory for your trouble instead of assuming I wanted to sand and paint a grill that was $1500+ after accessories and shipping.

The RecTec still smokes well. I can't complain about anything else on it.

The new model is stainless with wifi. I upgraded to the wifi wi this one when they were running a sale for $99 on it.

I love my Yoder YS640s but I still can't get rid of my RecTec 680.

The big hopper on the RecTec is awesome. It also acts as a warning tray. The way the hopper cover is designed, it would be hard for water to get in it. The pain is filling the hopper over the grill if you can't get to the back or roll it out easily.

The Yoder hopper can, and will get water in it. There is no lip. My neighbor has an older YS640 and had the pellets turn to concrete in the tube. What a job that was to free it.

There have been fires in the Yoder hopper. From what I hear, it can happen if you leave the hood open during cool down. It tells you that in the instructions.

The Yoder has wild temperature swings Durning startup it tells you that in the book. It overshoots by a lot. That may be to heat up all that mass. It is a heavy grill.

I have friends that have Tragers. They produce some awesome eats off them too. I know a guy that bought Al Roker's smoker that was a custom job. Some good eats come off that too. Other buddies have Home Depot and WalMart purchased smokers. I won't deny the my appetite when they invite mo over. Some of those friends can make a killer brisket on a Walmart grill.

Again, there is good and bad to all of them.

I say get what you wallet can stomach. Buy as good as you can get and you won't be sorry. Neither will your stomach.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky