Help with Smoking Tuna for Smoked Tuna Dip.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NATidefan

Original poster
Jan 20, 2018
Hi, I'm going to smoking some Yellowfin Tuna to make some smoke tuna dip for a upcoming beach trip. I smoked several things, but not fish yet.

I have a MES electric with mailbox mod and Amaznpellet tray.

Some preliminary reading has thinking.

Wet Brine overnight, let dry for a few hours in the fridge the next morning.

Smoke at 175 with apple wood pellets til I reach 140 internal.

Does that sound about right? Any recs for a brine recipe? I see alot with brown sugar, salt, and water.

Thanks for any help!

I smoke a lot of Salmon but with a dry brine of dark brown sugar with salt. Have no idea what is the best brine for YFT. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in with suggestions.

Reactions: NATidefan
I smoke a lot of Salmon but with a dry brine of dark brown sugar with salt. Have no idea what is the best brine for YFT. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in with suggestions.
I mostly smoke salmon as well. That said, tuna is also an oil rich fish, so similar treatment should work fine.

Reactions: NATidefan
Thanks, I do a dry brine when I do turkeys. Just wanting to make sure it doesn't dry out and avoid any albumin.

When I make fish dip I always smoke the fish until well done. For us it gives a better texture when combined in a dip. If it is cooked rare to med. the texture seems to disappear & turns to mush. That is just how we do it. Never tried tuna before, only salmon, may be different with tuna.
Al

When I make fish dip I always smoke the fish until well done. For us it gives a better texture when combined in a dip. If it is cooked rare to med. the texture seems to disappear & turns to mush. That is just how we do it. Never tried tuna before, only salmon, may be different with tuna.
Al

Ok thanks, that would make sense.

It pretty famous on the Florida panhandle. Most restaurants and seafood stores make it.

Trying to replicate this one from Buddy's in Panama City

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230110-062712_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230110-062712_Chrome.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky