Help with Raw leg brined & cured internal temp and glaze please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
South Aus
Have had a boned pork leg in pops brine for 28 days (it’s about 7.5 pounds or 3.5k)Plan to smoke day before Christmas then glaze half of it next day and use other half as cold ham. I will have chickens and turkey cooking on Christmas Day at 375f.

The leg of ham, Was thinking to do it same as bacon to 145-150? I’ll pull it out day before cook time and let dry in fridge for 24 hours, that sound ok?

should I cut it in half before smoking?

Glaze.
How long do I need to leave it in to set glaze and be warmed through at 375f or is that to hot...Do I wrap it in foil for a bit or ? What internal temp do I aim for even though it’s cooked?

thanks.

Note: I found the cure to my curing nightmare, I bought organic cure #1, my previous bacons didn’t cure right through, yet followed Bearcarver Bearcarver disco disco pops6927 pops6927 methods to the letter. Always same result cured about 1 inch in no matter how long I left it. Centre not cured.

I had this leg in pops brine using the organic cure, after 2 weeks I dumped the brine and made a new one with “proper” cure #1 and appears to be perfect.

Jabiru I’m no expert by any means but follow the advise of many learned members including the the ones you mentioned. I also have a ham I smoke prior to Xmas. I smoked to internal temperature of 165 degrees at 270 degrees. Took about 5 hours. I will then reheat and glaze in the oven on Christmas. I will cook again until the internal temperature gets to 160/165 degrees Probably at about 325 degrees and glaze at several intervals. May heat higher at end to get crusty skin/fat.
I would not cut your ham in half cook whole and glaze the whole ham. Still makes great sandwiches with the glaze on.
You mentioned organic cure #1 what is that never heard of it?

Have had a boned pork leg in pops brine for 28 days (it’s about 7.5 pounds or 3.5k)Plan to smoke day before Christmas then glaze half of it next day and use other half as cold ham. I will have chickens and turkey cooking on Christmas Day at 375f.

The leg of ham, Was thinking to do it same as bacon to 145-150? I’ll pull it out day before cook time and let dry in fridge for 24 hours, that sound ok?
yes
should I cut it in half before smoking?
no
Glaze.
How long do I need to leave it in to set glaze and be warmed through at 375f or is that to hot...Do I wrap it in foil for a bit or ? What internal temp do I aim for even though it’s cooked?
you reheat it to 145° internal and glaze should be set by that time, 375° should be fine.
thanks.

Note: I found the cure to my curing nightmare, I bought organic cure #1, my previous bacons didn’t cure right through, yet followed Bearcarver Bearcarver disco disco pops6927 pops6927 methods to the letter. Always same result cured about 1 inch in no matter how long I left it. Centre not cured.

I had this leg in pops brine using the organic cure, after 2 weeks I dumped the brine and made a new one with “proper” cure #1 and appears to be perfect.
celery curing is not regulated like sodium nitrite curing is, and there are no regulations defining it, either. To me, it is a fallacy. You risk health dangers from it.

Thanks Slow42 Slow42 I will take your advice mate. Next day do I need to wrap in foil to warm up then add the glaze? I have a store bought Ham for backup :emoji_wink:

The organic cure is some sort of Celery based cure like pops said, it is no good and had me questioning my Curing ability. I am not sure why I decided to buy it and I paid the price as my meats never cured right through. They were still good but not right.

Hello jabiru
My ham is already smoked and cooked the same as a store bought ham. If you want to double smoke follow Bearcarvers technique posted here. I don’t like that much smoke so I’m going to foil my ham and reheat to about 140 degrees, keep in mind I already cooked it to 165 previously. I’ll set the oven temperature at about 325 degrees F for about 10 minutes per pound. A couple hours prior to finish I’ll remove the foil and glaze several times until done. I’ll increase the temperature near the end to get a nice glaze on the exterior.

Thanks again Slow42 Slow42 , ok I’ll go with that. I’ll foil too to reheat ready for glaze, she will get a good 8 to 10 hours of smoke.

the leg is out of the brine, rinsed and drying in fridge overnight. She going on tomorrow.

Turned out very nice, smoked the leg at 180f for 9 hours then turned up to 225f to finish off to internal of 155f.

Next day added some honey, sugar and apple juice wrapped in foil, heated up to 145f then unwrapped added more glaze then turned heat up to 325f And heated to internal of 165f .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky