Help with bulk pork sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hambone6998

Original poster
Nov 8, 2016
Hello all, I am looking to try to find a recipe for bulk pork sausage that (likely) does not include thyme or sage. What I am trying to copycat is John Morrell bulk sausage that comes in the little red 1pd chubs (that is very cheap by the way) however was looking for a little healthier version since by the time you get done frying up this cheap pound of sausage, you end up with about 4 ounces of flavored meat (and flavored burnt fat) and a pan completely full of grease. What I don't taste when I cook up the Morrell sausage is thyme or sage. Every time I try to make a lean breakfast sausage, all I can taste is the sage and/or thyme, which I don't care for as much. I have tried reducing the sage and/or thyme to tiny amounts but they are still overpowering. If i omit them completely, well, there is nothing really left but ground pork with salt and pepper. I would really appreciate if anyone has some advice or proven recipes that might have the same taste as me!

Hello all, I am looking to try to find a recipe for bulk pork sausage that (likely) does not include thyme or sage. What I am trying to copycat is John Morrell bulk sausage that comes in the little red 1pd chubs (that is very cheap by the way) however was looking for a little healthier version since by the time you get done frying up this cheap pound of sausage, you end up with about 4 ounces of flavored meat (and flavored burnt fat) and a pan completely full of grease. What I don't taste when I cook up the Morrell sausage is thyme or sage. Every time I try to make a lean breakfast sausage, all I can taste is the sage and/or thyme, which I don't care for as much. I have tried reducing the sage and/or thyme to tiny amounts but they are still overpowering. If i omit them completely, well, there is nothing really left but ground pork with salt and pepper. I would really appreciate if anyone has some advice or proven recipes that might have the same taste as me!
I buy the pork shoulders and trim all the fat and skin off. It’s not an easy job but way cheaper than buying lean ground pork. Then I make usually make breakfast sausage or whatever comes to mind. I use spices that I like and usually do not follow a recipe. I make cracklings out of the rind use the rendered fat for cooking and in bread making. I have found that by experimenting, a little at a time to find different tastes. You might be surprised what you end up with.

Hello all, I am looking to try to find a recipe for bulk pork sausage that (likely) does not include thyme or sage. What I am trying to copycat is John Morrell bulk sausage that comes in the little red 1pd chubs (that is very cheap by the way) however was looking for a little healthier version since by the time you get done frying up this cheap pound of sausage, you end up with about 4 ounces of flavored meat (and flavored burnt fat) and a pan completely full of grease. What I don't taste when I cook up the Morrell sausage is thyme or sage. Every time I try to make a lean breakfast sausage, all I can taste is the sage and/or thyme, which I don't care for as much. I have tried reducing the sage and/or thyme to tiny amounts but they are still overpowering. If
i omit them completely, well, there is nothing really left but ground pork with salt and pepper. I would really appreciate if anyone has some advice or proven recipes that might have the same taste as me!

Instead of straight Sage or Thyme, try Poultry Seasoning instead. It has both sage and thyme, but also ground marjoram, ground rosemary, nutmeg and black pepper, reducing the amount of sage and thyme to half. And, of course, you can reduce the amount added, plus try freezing the sausage as that further reduces the aromatic strength of the seasonings. May take some experimenting, but please post back here the combination that you find the most acceptable!

You might enjoy a basic cajun fresh sausage. Most sold here are in links, but you can leave it uncased. No sage or thyme in the recipe. Grab a pen and pad, you will need to write the ingredients and amounts down. I have made this recipe and it is very good. Gets rave reviews. I case mine. If you don't like green onion, you can leave it out and it is still good.

Can also make Maple Breakfast sausage...

Maple breakfast sausage:
  • 16 ounces ground pork (at least 80/20; but I prefer 75/25)
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon msg (*Optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky