• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help w/ AMNTS cold smokin in a Pit Boss pellet "grill"

reformedvegan

Fire Starter
Joined May 28, 2019
Folks,

I have one of the PB 700-series models. I tried cold-smoking cheese this weekend with my 12" AMNTS, and I was disappointed with the thick, white smoke it produced and the bitter, acrid, chemical taste of the cheese after smoking. I have vacuum sealed the cheese and plan to let it mellow for 6 weeks before trying it again.

I discovered on my second batch, that I could turn the cooker on (no pellets in hopper) and the fan would run, making the smoke thinner, and a bit "bluer", and better smelling, but not to the sweet-smelling TBS level that would be most proper. The fan also helped keep the temp a bit lower, which I struggled to keep below 80 F (about 50 F ambient temp).

Is there anything easy that I can do to make the combo of the pellet cooker and the AMNTS work better for me for cold-smoking? The solution I am thinking of is a mailbox mod incorporating some sort of fan (hairdrier?) to keep the combustion temp higher for a cleaner smoke and channeling the smoke into the 3" port for the (seemingly discontinued?) cold smoker box attachment. The two problems with this are 1) it's more complicated than I would like, and 2) this would channel the smoke into the *top* of the cooker, which I imagine may not expose the contents to an even smoke, as I imagine the smoke won't reach the bottom of the cooker very well (other exhaust ports are also on the top of the barrel).

Suggestions?

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
The mailbox mod is a good idea, as it really helps to clean up the smoke especially if the pipe is long. I would also suggest using dust instead of pellets, and the tray instead of the tube. I gave up on using my pellet grill as a cold smoker, and switched to my GOSM with mailbox mod. But after I gave away my GOSM, I switched to a cardboard box smoker.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
DXust
does the dust burn hotter/cleaner? Can I make dust from the pellets I have?
It burns cooler and cleaner.And you can certainly make dust from the pellets you have,
all you need is a blender and you'll have instant dust.

reformedvegan

Fire Starter
Joined May 28, 2019
DXust

It burns cooler and cleaner.And you can certainly make dust from the pellets you have,
all you need is a blender and you'll have instant dust.
I was under the impression that a cleaner smoke (TBS) is produced at a higher temperature, and thick white smoke at a lower tempteraure. Thus, I thought it best to have something that burns hot to produce a clean smoke and then cools the smoke before letting it hit the food. That's why I was thinking about the mailbox mod with a blower to get pellets to burn hotter for a cleaner smoke, and enough conduit to allow the smoke to cool before it hits the food.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Maybe a wrong way of putting it.Dust burns much slower so it doesn't produce as much heat.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.