Help! Power Went Out Electric Smoker Safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beabull

Original poster
May 18, 2019
Hi, new here hopefully posting in the right section. I am smoking a pork shoulder with an electric pellet smoker and the power went out at 1:15am. I checked the thermometer and it was between 160-165 f. The power just came back on at 5:30 am, so I fired the smoker back up and plan on finishing it, the internal temperature was well below 120f(that is as low number as my meat thermometer shows). The pork was placed in a brine with apple juice and some seasonings for about 18 hours before going in the smoker. So, will this pork be safe to eat? Additionally, will it be just as tender had the power not went out and it finished on the correct temperature, in the first place or is it ruined and I should call it quits? Thanks in advance.

First of all I'm assuming that you brined it in the fridge for 18 hours.
And I'm also assuming that when you say it hit 160-165, your talking about the internal meat temp.
If both of those are true, then the meat is safe to eat, and should be just as tender & juicy as it would have been if the power hadn't gone out.
Al

I have the same questions Al had (above), and I have the same answer.
Should be fine!

Bear

Thanks guys. Yes it was brined in the fridge and that was the internal temp at the time. Turned out great.

The boys gave good info. No issues, even if Injected...JJ

Jonok Jonok , my hair's growing pretty good now. But coming in Gray!

Reactions: Jonok
First of all I'm assuming that you brined it in the fridge for 18 hours.
And I'm also assuming that when you say it hit 160-165, your talking about the internal meat temp.
If both of those are true, then the meat is safe to eat, and should be just as tender & juicy as it would have been if the power hadn't gone out.
Al
I'm in a similar boat here. Difference is I wrapped them at 151⁰-161⁰, power went out, internal temps dropped to 124⁰-136⁰. I'm going to cook them to 205⁰. Will this meat be safe to serve to 100 people?

Edit: I dry brined with kosher salt for 24-25 hours in the fridge, if that matters.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat here. Difference is I wrapped them at 151⁰-161⁰, power went out, internal temps dropped to 124⁰-136⁰. I'm going to cook them to 205⁰. Will this meat be safe to serve to 100 people?

Edit: I dry brined with kosher salt for 24-25 hours in the fridge, if that matters.

Yes they are safe to eat!
Al

Al is correct just crank the smoker back up and continue

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky