• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

candytrs

Original poster
Jan 2, 2022
ETA: outside temp was in the low 20°'s.
How should I continue to cook to make sure it reaches desired temp. Do I just monitor internal temp?

Hi there! I’m hoping you can help guide me. I put my brisket in an electric smoker last night at 11pm. I woke up to find out the smoker turned off due to a power shortage. The brisket cooked for about 7hrs at 225. I don’t know what the last brisket temp was. Do I continue to cook? If so, how? I don’t want a dry brisket. Feeding a group of people :(
Super bummed.
12.7lb brisket

Last edited:
What was your outside temperature during this time? Was the brisket scored or injected? Unless your in Florida I would suspect the brisket is fine I would finish in foil in the ovenmaybe with some juice or beef broth if there’s not enough fat. Again this depends on the ambient temperature .7 hrs at 225 should of killed the bad bugs on the outside

Reactions: TNJAKE
As far as safety goes you are fine. Hopefully you fired the smoker back up and it's coming back up to temp. I'd let it get warm then wrap with a little broth. Shouldn't be dry. Don't go to sleep with your smoker on.......get a digital probe to monitor pit temp with an alarm to alert you to high/low temp

Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq is a sponsor here. Get one of their 4 probe wifi therms. They are always posting up discounts and etc. Never trust the factory thermometers and sleep a little better knowing you have a alarm if your smoker quits on you again.
Jim

Reactions: candytrs
What was your outside temperature during this time? Was the brisket scored or injected? Unless your in Florida I would suspect the brisket is fine I would finish in foil in the ovenmaybe with some juice or beef broth if there’s not enough fat. Again this depends on the ambient temperature .7 hrs at 225 should of killed the bad bugs on the outside
We had an extremely cold night. It was in the low 20°'s - I guess my main concern now is how to finish cooking it? Oven? What temp and do I just monitor the internal temp until it reaches 185°-195°

Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq is a sponsor here. Get one of their 4 probe wifi therms. They are always posting up discounts and etc. Never trust the factory thermometers and sleep a little better knowing you have a alarm if your smoker quits on you again.
Jim
Will definitely do this. Ty!

As far as safety goes you are fine. Hopefully you fired the smoker back up and it's coming back up to temp. I'd let it get warm then wrap with a little broth. Shouldn't be dry. Don't go to sleep with your smoker on.......get a digital probe to monitor pit temp with an alarm to alert you to high/low temp
I know! 😩 went to bed about 3 am added chips from 11 - 3 then I was out. Def going get one. Thanks!

Reactions: TNJAKE
We had an extremely cold night. It was in the low 20°'s - I guess my main concern now is how to finish cooking it? Oven? What temp and do I just monitor the internal temp until it reaches 185°-195°
Your brisket will still be tough at 185-195. Around 195 start probing all over for tenderness. It's done when the skewer/probe feel like you are sliding it into a jar of peanut butter. You want no resistance. Your finished temp will likely be between 200-203. Plan time for a rest afterwards

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky