Help please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ScottKin

Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
i had two 8.5 lb pork shoulders on the OK Joes smoker starting at 1:00 AM this morning. I had a good start until 7:40 AM when the fire went out. The temp of the meat never dropped, it actually stayed at 124 however it was there for about 1.5 hrs. I quickly put the meat in the oven to bring the temp back up but my question is will it be safe to eat?

You should be fine. Those things can sometimes cook for upwards of 20 hours without going south on you. An hour and a half is nothing to worry about.

Robert

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thanks guys! I was really concerned but I will give it a shot. Happy 4th

"cook until 205 F. internal temp and rest 2-3 hours and you'll butter pulled pork."

No question!! This is good advice but I'll expand on it a bit. When the pork reaches temp, double wrap the roasts in aluminum foil and put them in a cooler wrapped with towels. They will stay hot for hours and this gives time for the juices in the meat to redistribute and the connective tissue to relax, making it more tender.

Robert

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Fantastic news. Glad it worked out for you. Did you finish it in the oven or take it back out and finish it on the smoker? Here is the biggest question though: where are the pics? Please remember that in this forum, if no pics then it didn't happen :emoji_wink:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky