Help! Masterbuilt MB20071117 Digital Electric Smoker or Masterbuilt MES 35B Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AlbertaSmokerCowboy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
The smoke attachment works great. I had one for my MES30. one thing to watch is the chips can get stuck due to the residue from the chips burning. Just need to poke down from time to time. Holy cow! 149 from Home Depot, I paid around 80 from amazon, though they no longer sell. That was a few years ago, maybe they made changes.

Most people here will recommend the A-MAZE-N pellet-smokr and a mailbox mod.

I have the cold smoker attachment you've linked to. I like it. Things to keep in mind:

• Don't attache it directly to the smoker. Instead use a 3 to 6 feet of duct pipe (3in). While you're at it, put another 3ft pipe on your vent. I painted mine black to make it look less redneck.

• MESs have a minimum temp setting of 100°F. Thats too high for true cold smoking. So even though the attachment is called a "cold smoking..." all it really does is provide a secondary heating element dedicated to burning chips. The element in the smoker is left to maintaining temperature.

• Turn the attachment off as soon as you see smoke coming out of the vent on your smoker.

• the chips don't fall to the bottom of the hopper. Rather they burn upwards. So you'll have push them down occasionally. I use a grill fork.

Is this going to be your only smoker or just one for cold smoking? If it’s your only one I’d recommend going for the 40” k stead of the 30”. I had the MES30 (the digital one like you posted MB20071117) and really liked it. The temp was a little off sometimes by 15-20* but I used my inkbird thermometer to monitor it. But if it’s your only one., with the 30” you’ll have to cut ribs to get them to fit, like I said I’d spend a little more and get the 40” and never worry about size. I wish I would have but it was my first smoker and a pretty good one!

Thanks for the replies!

I'm now edging towards the Dyna-Glo Offset smoker.

And maybe make some mods on that. Thinking of adding a SmokeMeister I have. https://www.smokemiester.com/

But really I just need a solid chamber don't I?
If I was handy enough I would make my own (sadly I'm not!)
Should I maybe speak to a local welder and get a quote to build me one?

Cheers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky