Newbie Reaching Out on a MB 30 + Cold Smoker Unit or maybe a Iron Cheff Unit?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rick, I thought I would bring this back over to this thread as the topic on the other one was about the Maverick Thermometer and I don't want to be accused of
hijack2.gif
! lol

Here is a youtube video of the MB Cold Smoke Generator. This is not a indepth video but shows how much smoke it puts out.

yankee, I now have both the AMNPS and the Masterbuilt cold smoker attachment at home. I started with the AMNPS and the wife needed ideas for Christmas gifts. What can I say, I like my toys! I've used the cold smoker attachment a number of time as have the AMNPS and here are my thoughts. They both put out good smoke. The AMNPS would last a little longer on a full fill, but I know I got about 6 hours when I filled the cold smoker attachment about 3/4 the way up. The AMNPS takes a little more effort to light but still VERY easy and fits nicely into the MES30 where it's supposed to. The cold smoker attaches to the side and I'll say is a bit annoying to get it in there the 1st time. After that, you figure it out and it's a bit easier. The AMNPS uses pellets and dust and the cold smoker uses chips and pellets...as tested by others here. The chips are usually cheaper and more readily available. I've found my local box store to have pellets and chips, but a larger supply of chips. The cold smoker attachment is of course easier to reload but the AMNPS rarely needs reloading really. 

I'll be doing a pork shoulder this weekend for the big game, and I'm planning on using the smoker attachment specific because I've got hickory and apple chips I want to use. Otherwise, to be honest, my go to piece is the AMNPS.

Did I cover most of the in's and out's of them? Anything else I can try and give my opinion on. 

Last edited:

yankee, I now have both the AMNPS and the Masterbuilt cold smoker attachment at home. I started with the AMNPS and the wife needed ideas for Christmas gifts. What can I say, I like my toys! I've used the cold smoker attachment a number of time as have the AMNPS and here are my thoughts. They both put out good smoke. The AMNPS would last a little longer on a full fill, but I know I got about 6 hours when I filled the cold smoker attachment about 3/4 the way up. The AMNPS takes a little more effort to light but still VERY easy and fits nicely into the MES30 where it's supposed to. The cold smoker attaches to the side and I'll say is a bit annoying to get it in there the 1st time. After that, you figure it out and it's a bit easier. The AMNPS uses pellets and dust and the cold smoker uses chips and pellets...as tested by others here. The chips are usually cheaper and more readily available. I've found my local box store to have pellets and chips, but a larger supply of chips. The cold smoker attachment is of course easier to reload but the AMNPS rarely needs reloading really. 

I'll be doing a pork shoulder this weekend for the big game, and I'm planning on using the smoker attachment specific because I've got hickory and apple chips I want to use. Otherwise, to be honest, my go to piece is the AMNPS.

Did I cover most of the in's and out's of them? Anything else I can try and give my opinion on. 
Sounds like a very good review of them both.

I rarely have to reload my AMNPS, but if you catch it before it runs completely out, you can put the new pellets right up against the already burning pellets, and that way there's no playing around to get it going, because there already is a cherry that won't go out easily.

Bear

Originally Posted by susieqz  

several people told me to leave the loader 1 1/2'' out, instead of inserting it all the way. it seems like this is a common problem.

when you test it, please post your results.

it may be wise  to hold off on purchasing the attachment till you see what it does.
I appriciate your input susieqz concerning the "need" of the MB Cold Smoke Unit. It's not that I think I need it but in fact it is the route I desire to go. There are some things I plan on doing as I climb the "ranks" in smokin food so there will be times that I will run the smoke generator without firing up the heating element in the MB 30.

I plan on doing some video reviews of my intital cooks with the smoker and then again once I get the smoke generator unit. I'll be sure to post links to these videos once I upload them to youtube.

grilling_smilie.gif

The Masterbuilt Cold Smoke Generator is a $60ish unit which is made to be used with a Masterbuilt smoker or can be adapted to other "boxes" as a mod. It stands to the side and connects through the round chip dispenser hole so one could cold smoke in the main unit without turning on the heating element which would seem to give the 2 units working together a wide variety of applications. It woulld not take up any internal space in the smoker unit which would help reduce the chance of blocking any air flow issues that I've seen in the forum. I'm trying to be thorough in my research for as they say, "its better to buy nice than to buy twice!"
It all depends, I bought my MES cold smoker for 29.00 from Masterbuilt. I also bought a new MES40 direct for less than 1/2 price. You should always shop the manufacturer when pricing items.

I have both, and AMPs and a Cold Smoker. Both work fine once you get used to there individual quirks.

Last edited:

It all depends, I bought my MES cold smoker for 29.00 from Masterbuilt. I also bought a new MES40 direct for less than 1/2 price. You should always shop the manufacturer when pricing items.

I have both, and AMPs and a Cold Smoker. Both work fine once you get used to there individual quirks.
Mrs Bear said the same thing about me!!

Bear

Rick, I thought I would bring this back over to this thread as the topic on the other one was about the Maverick Thermometer and I don't want to be accused of
hijack2.gif
! lol

Here is a youtube video of the MB Cold Smoke Generator. This is not a indepth video but shows how much smoke it puts out.

Wow, Joe, plenty of smoke output there and the guy's just seasoning it. As I wrote, you can't go wrong with either the Cold Smoker or the AMNPS. I've read that the CS burns both chips and pellets; I greatly prefer using wood pellets since they burn longer than chips. The AMNPS is designed to produce thin blue smoke (TBS) but it looks like once the CS is attached to an MES you'd be seeing TBS rising from it, too.

So, you've got the best of both worlds! The next step is to buy a 2nd MES to do some comparison smoking: smoking identical meats prepared identically in both MES 30 #1 with the AMNPS and MES 30 #2 with the CS. You could use pellets in one, chips in the 2nd, or use pellets in both. I think it would be both fascinating and educational to see and taste the results.

Of course I'm not actually expecting you to go out and buy a 2nd unit but if I've planted the seed of an idea in your brain then my job is done here.

Still, I'd like to know what you've experienced using both units. We know the differences in using them but what about the end products? Do you prefer the results of one over the other? Both equally as good?

So, you've got the best of both worlds! The next step is to buy a 2nd MES to do some comparison smoking: smoking identical meats prepared identically in both MES 30 #1 with the AMNPS and MES 30 #2 with the CS. You could use pellets in one, chips in the 2nd, or use pellets in both. I think it would be both fascinating and educational to see and taste the results.

Of course I'm not actually expecting you to go out and buy a 2nd unit but if I've planted the seed of an idea in your brain then my job is done here.

Still, I'd like to know what you've experienced using both units. We know the differences in using them but what about the end products? Do you prefer the results of one over the other? Both equally as good?
You have indeed planted the seed....I'm sure my wife will be thrilled.

I used the CS for the last batch of sausages I made, and I must say they were very smoky and good. There wasn't a noticeable differences (less or more smoke) with using either generator. I'm doing a butt this weekend using the CS. Maybe I'll do another one the next weekend using the AMNPS and see how that goes.

I used the CS for the last batch of sausages I made, and I must say they were very smoky and good. There wasn't a noticeable differences (less or more smoke) with using either generator. I'm doing a butt this weekend using the CS. Maybe I'll do another one the next weekend using the AMNPS and see how that goes.
"You have indeed planted the seed....I'm sure my wife will be thrilled" That's a funny line! May your wife share our sense of humor, for your sake...

As I've posted before, the closest I've come to what you could theoretically do is to cook four racks of ribs two different ways at the same time: two racks of St. Louis style and twp racks of baby backs both with the same rub and the same BBQ sauce. The SL ribs were cooked on my Weber charcoal grill in a rib rack over coals with hickory wood chips. The baby backs were cooked in my MES 30 over hickory wood pellets. Both all four racks turned out great. I thoroughly enjoy conducting cooking experiments but that one was a lot of work so I don't plan to repeat it.

Here are a couple of reasons I'm going with the MB Cold Smoke Generator with my MB 30G2. First, I believe that the CSG would allow the MB 30G2 to "breath" better and possibly help with the air flow within the unit. Now that you've seen the CSG in the video you can see whay I'm thinking that way. Then, to be honest, the AMNPS was designed to be placed in a specific spot in a GEN 1 MES that doesn't exist in a GEN 2 unit. In it's present configuration the AMNPS would have to be placed on the lowest rack on a GEN 2. I'm attaching a pic of my GEN 2 so anyone see a place where I could put the AMNPS other then the lower rack. But this site is horrible! (joke) Now I'm I'm thinking of a MOD once the the CSG is in use. See what kind of influence you guys are having on me! lol

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

Remember it is a cold smoker, it obviously can be refilled for a 20+ hours smoke, but its hard to beat the AMPs on that one. Alos, if you have been using the cold smoker make sure and watch out for the "Santa Claus Syndrome". Thats where the shells/chips get hung up in the chimney and don't slide down. I personally like it. I used the CS and when it runs out of smoke, I figure its had enough. Then the last 1/2 hour or hour I SMACK the CS and the shells drop down on the element. loads of smoke at the very end.

One last thing, I actually crack discharge vent AND I crack open the ash tray, it give a bit more circulation. I have read that once the chips are ignited you can turn off the heating element, and it smlows the smoke down. I have not tried it yet though. I am perfectly happy with the way it works from the factory.

Here are a couple of reasons I'm going with the MB Cold Smoke Generator with my MB 30G2. First, I believe that the CSG would allow the MB 30G2 to "breath" better and possibly help with the air flow within the unit. Now that you've seen the CSG in the video you can see whay I'm thinking that way. Then, to be honest, the AMNPS was designed to be placed in a specific spot in a GEN 1 MES that doesn't exist in a GEN 2 unit. In it's present configuration the AMNPS would have to be placed on the lowest rack on a GEN 2. I'm attaching a pic of my GEN 2 so anyone see a place where I could put the AMNPS other then the lower rack. But this site is horrible! (joke) Now I'm I'm thinking of a MOD once the the CSG is in use. See what kind of influence you guys are having on me! lol
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

You may be happier with the CSG, but the AMNPS doesn't have to go up & take up Grill rack space,

The best place for the AMNPS in a Gen #2 (like you have) is to remove the little water pan from it's position.

Then you would set the AMNPS over the hole left where the Water pan was.

Then you put your water pan away, to keep from ever having to either wash it or cover it with foil.

Then you put a throw-away foil pan on the floor under the water pan hole to catch any drips.

Just a little info,

Bear

Last edited:

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

​
 ​
 ​
Your reasoning makes perfect sense. The R&D on the AMNPS was indeed done in the MES 30 Gen 1. The airflow between the two generations is different and so the CS should be better suited to the Gen 2.

While I have zero complaints with our Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker I will say this. If you ever need to deal with their customer service I wish you the best of luck. I was on hold for just under an hour...was told they were going to send me 2 grate racks under warranty, invoice said 2 were shipped yet only 1 was in the box.

I have been using the MBCS unit on my gen 1 40 with Western brand chips for my last 4 or 5 smokes and yes you can crack the ash drawer and shut the unit off and it will continue to smoke. You will see less temperature gain when cold smoking this way and smoke output is slightly less. I let it burn with it on for about 20 minutes before shutting it off. It seems like the Western brand chips create less moisture and creosote and hang up less than some of the other brand chips and pellets I have tried.

While I have zero complaints with our Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker I will say this. If you ever need to deal with their customer service I wish you the best of luck. I was on hold for just under an hour...was told they were going to send me 2 grate racks under warranty, invoice said 2 were shipped yet only 1 was in the box.
Ink, your the first I've read to make negative comments about MB CS. Here I've read mostly nuetral to positive comments on their CS and a fellow on youtube did a 3 part video documentory on his dealings with them. I'll post a link should anyone care to view:

Ink, your the first I've read to make negative comments about MB CS. Here I've read mostly nuetral to positive comments on their CS and a fellow on youtube did a 3 part video documentory on his dealings with them. I'll post a link should anyone care to view:

Another member here,freaky norm (unsure of name) has also had issues with there customer service. Perhaps my experience was the occasional bad one. The fact that they told me I was going to receive a pair of holders and the invoice said they shipped 2 only to find one in the box just left a bitter taste in my mouth. I have no issues with the unit itself, just hop I never need anything from them again..

WOW! Big shout out to Foamheart! I just spoke to a MB CS agent about a discount for buying factory direct. I mentioned I was on the forum and that seem to crack the door open! She quoted me the $29.99 price + shipping. She even calculated the shipping cost to Ohio for me. I told her I was just inquiring about it and I wouldn't be able to purchase until tax return time. She then gave me what she refered to as a case number to secure that price when I did call the order in! SOOOO glad I joined this forum!

yahoo.gif

WOW! Big shout out to Foamheart! I just spoke to a MB CS agent about a discount for buying factory direct. I mentioned I was on the forum and that seem to crack the door open! She quoted me the $29.99 price + shipping. She even calculated the shipping cost to Ohio for me. I told her I was just inquiring about it and I wouldn't be able to purchase until tax return time. She then gave me what she refered to as a case number to secure that price when I did call the order in! SOOOO glad I joined this forum!

:yahoo:
good deal....have to ask, how long were you on hold for?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky